Cobra trailer tail lights replacement?

Old November 22nd 16, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Bojack J4

Default Cobra trailer tail lights replacement?

Looking to replace the factory/European style tail lights.

Although attractive (??) I think they can be confusing for USA drivers following behind it.

Any suggestions for improvement and/or making them more USA "friendly"? And also wiring them for USA vehicles.

I have seen several trailers with round L.E.D. replacement tail lights. Source?

All suggestions and advice appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

J4
Old November 22nd 16, 06:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, November 22, 2016 at 12:30:41 PM UTC-5, John Bojack J4 wrote:
Looking to replace the factory/European style tail lights.

Although attractive (??) I think they can be confusing for USA drivers following behind it.

Any suggestions for improvement and/or making them more USA "friendly"? And also wiring them for USA vehicles.

I have seen several trailers with round L.E.D. replacement tail lights. Source?

All suggestions and advice appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

J4

Go to etrailer.com
Many options
UH
Old November 22nd 16, 07:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Doug[_9_]

Here... https://www.superbrightleds.com/sear...ucts/STFR-R24/

Get the right angle plug too... https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...ck-lights/569/

They also have replacements for the side marker lights.

Old November 22nd 16, 07:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Luke Szczepaniak

On 11/22/2016 12:30 PM, John Bojack J4 wrote:
Looking to replace the factory/European style tail lights.

Although attractive (??) I think they can be confusing for USA drivers following behind it.

Any suggestions for improvement and/or making them more USA "friendly"? And also wiring them for USA vehicles.

I have seen several trailers with round L.E.D. replacement tail lights. Source?

All suggestions and advice appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

J4

I've used these in both my current and previous cobra trailer.

http://www.princessauto.com/en/detai...it/A-p8006317e

The retailer is Canadian but you should be able to find an equivalent in
the US. The face plate is a direct fit for the existing cobra cutouts.
The rear portion (plastic box) has to be trimmed if the top of your
trailer has cuffs that hold the wingtip, if you have an ASG-29 type wing
with the handles you probably don't need to modify anything.

Luke
Old November 22nd 16, 08:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

At 17:30 22 November 2016, John Bojack J4 wrote:
Looking to replace the factory/European style tail lights.

Although attractive (??) I think they can be confusing for USA

drivers
following behind it.

Any suggestions for improvement and/or making them more USA

"friendly"?
And also wiring them for USA vehicles.

I have seen several trailers with round L.E.D. replacement tail

lights.
Source?

All suggestions and advice appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

J4

John,

All I do (for a US 4 wire conversion) is swap spade connectors
(at the bulbs themselves) between the the Euro amber turn
signal and the red brake light. Just unscrew the lens cover, swap
the 2 spade connectors, put the lens cover back on. The amber
light is then not used, so drivers in the USA won't be confused.

RO

Old November 23rd 16, 01:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mitch Deutsch[_2_]

J4, Harbor Freight

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-inch-...ght-93263.html

Very bright. I have had these for 5 years at least and absolutely no issues. DL and 22 also have them.

You may need to enlarge the hole in the back of the trailer, other than that it is an easy swap.

Old November 23rd 16, 01:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, November 22, 2016 at 3:00:10 PM UTC-6, Michael Opitz wrote:
[...]

Thanks Mike, the last thing we need is more confused American drivers.
Old November 23rd 16, 09:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Bojack J4

I cringe every time i am in busy traffic with my glider trailer and have to brake hard. There's some kind of optical illusion our long skinny trailers seem to have that makes drivers tailgate too closely.
Personally, i know of 3 guys who've had collisions on the road this way.

J4
Old November 23rd 16, 11:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_4_]

I installed LED tail lights on and a 3rd brake light at the top of the fin in 2003.

I've had better luck buying on Amazon and eBay than Harbor Freight - last trailer lights from them, 3 years ago, started dying within the first year. At least on Amazon you can read the reviews.

Being from CA (years ago) I was always terrified that some uninsured and otherwise irresponsible person would torpedo my trailer from behind - adding a bright 3rd brake light surely helps.

For the 3rd brake light I used a simple 12 volt relay for the "logic". Left brake light operates the relay coil, right brake light provides power the normally open relay contact, contact powers 3rd brake light.

When both brake lights are on - 3rd light is on.
When either turn signal is on - 3rd brake light is off.

When either turn signal is on and the brakes are applied, the 3 rd brake light comes on and flashes in sync with the turn signal . . . a little strange, but it works.

When installing a 3rd brake light at the top of a cobra trailer (at least the aluminum top version, and probably all) you'll need to make a wedge or spacer so the LED is angled either level or a bit declinated. Otherwise due to the angle of the rear trailer fin, and the relatively narrow LED beam angle, the brake light won't appear all that bright.

I suggested the fin LED light to Spindleburger, along with switching to LED lighting, back a dozen years ago - - he mumbled something about lighting rules in EU.

bumper

Old November 24th 16, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Michael Opitz

Opitz wrote:
[...]

Herb,

For those that aren't familiar, converting a Euro system to a USA 4
wire system will normally result in the amber turn signal light being
used for both turn and brake signals. The red Euro "brake" light
normally gets bypassed in the wiring deal, so for me, the easiest
solution has been to swap spade connectors between the two. This
results in the red brake light sharing duties as a turn signal, which
is what drivers in the USA are accustomed to seeing. FWIW, the
police also like seeing red brake lights a lot better than amber or
yellow ones..

I have a Euro adaptor "pig tail" wiring connector which allows me to
plug the pig tail into my car, go to the port, swap bulb spade
connectors (in 5 minutes), hook up the trailer and drive away in as
little as 40 minutes total time spent at the port (including customs
& everything). Then, when we are home, we can redo the trailer
wiring connectors at our liesure (as opposed to doing it at the dock
in the rain or snow...) I have used this system in picking up ~10
gliders from the port now, and it works pretty well for me....

RO