Wingtip Wheels from Libelle 201?

Old January 10th 18, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Wingtip Wheels from Libelle 201?

I also use one for wing tip and tail on a 1-26, no problems 3 years going now, lots of off field landings as well.
Old January 11th 18, 12:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kiwi User

On Wed, 10 Jan 2018 11:51:22 -0800, Bob Kuykendall wrote:

On Monday, January 8, 2018 at 2:49:16 PM UTC-8,
wrote:
Anyone have a source for the little hard plastic wingtip wheels that
were recessed into the Libelle 201 wingtips?

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/77879526

Point taken! I had thought that some of the skate/rollerblage/skateboard
wheels were better quality than you describe.

Fortunately, or so it seems, I have friends with such toys as you pointed
to in their garages....

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org
Old January 11th 18, 01:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Chip,
I'd send Stiefenater an email, he has lots of parts for all of Glasflugel's ships that are not shown on his webpage. I installed a set on a H-301 and believe I got them from Stiefenader. He has also sent me 92110 cloth, wing foam, water bags, etc. Good guy to know.
JJ
Old January 11th 18, 07:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The name of the guy is "Streifeneder".

With skateboard or inline wheels (and especially the bearings) it's the same as with all products: different qualitys are available. Buy at a local skateshop instead of walmart, and probably softer wheels (78A) will damp shock loads a lot better than hard ones.
Old January 11th 18, 03:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, January 9, 2018 at 6:21:18 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Thx. I've seen pics of the available tip wheels. And off-the-shelf wheels would work. But the Glasflugel device was so elegant: the wheel was small but robust, and half buried in the tip instead of the entire wheel being encased in a fairing, as I've found commercially available. And already mounted in a fiberglass assembly. I checked Streifeder's site without success but I'll post something on the Libelle owner's forum.

Chip Bearden

McMaster-Carr 8946T61.
Took 3 minutes to find and don't need Bob's lathe.
UH
UH
Old January 11th 18, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Wednesday, January 10, 2018 at 11:47:31 AM UTC-8, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
...possibly those made for skateboards...

My experience is that skateboard wheels don't do very well as either tailwheels or wingtip wheels. The bearings seem to wear out quickly and spit out their balls, then the wheel starts wobbling and tearing up the surrounding structure.

The issue appears to be that the bearings don't handle the shock loads that they regularly see in glider service. You'd think that they'd be better, since skateboards and inline skates appear to be often subjected to such loads. However, it bears remembering that the human leg is a quite effective shock absorption system, one absent from glider wingtips and tails.

I use 200x50 pneumatic wheels for tailwheels, and when I need a wingtip wheel, I usually make it out of 2" Delrin rod stock with a plain steel or Oilite bushing.

--Bob K.

I've used in-line skate wheels in the tips and a 100 mm scooter wheel (they have the same bearings) in the tail of my ASH26 for years. 17 years in fact. Still using the original wing tip wheels, had to replace the tailwheel once early on (because of the plastic hub, not the bearings) now on year 15 on the new tailwheel. Heavy glider, taxiing under motor on every takeoff with the wing down, etc. Maybe you had some crappy wheels/bearings. The bearings are anything from about $0.40 to $10 with a commensurate difference in quality.
Old January 11th 18, 09:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]

I have made wing tip wheels by from a nylon cutting board. Just drilled with the appropriate size Hole Saw and then drilled the center to the appropriate diameter. If being fancy I have even pressed a brass bushing into the center.

Brian
Old January 11th 18, 11:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Wednesday, January 10, 2018 at 1:47:31 PM UTC-6, Bob Kuykendall wrote:
...possibly those made for skateboards...

My experience is that skateboard wheels don't do very well as either tailwheels or wingtip wheels. The bearings seem to wear out quickly and spit out their balls, then the wheel starts wobbling and tearing up the surrounding structure.

The issue appears to be that the bearings don't handle the shock loads that they regularly see in glider service. You'd think that they'd be better, since skateboards and inline skates appear to be often subjected to such loads. However, it bears remembering that the human leg is a quite effective shock absorption system, one absent from glider wingtips and tails.

I use 200x50 pneumatic wheels for tailwheels, and when I need a wingtip wheel, I usually make it out of 2" Delrin rod stock with a plain steel or Oilite bushing.

--Bob K.

Really? My experience is exactly the opposite - I installed a rollerblade wheel (complete with the sealed bearing) in the tailskid of my LS6 16 years ago (it replaced the hard white plastic wheel that came with the skid). Replaced the original rollerblade wheel last season (with it's sibling - they came in packs of 2) because the wheel was badly chunked and ugly - but the bearings were fine (replaced anyway, just because).

So that little rollerblade wheel survived about 2000 hours in everything from desert dirt strips, paved strips, and muddy grass strips - and I always go for a tailwheel first landing so no going easy on it there!

Of course, the wheel is inside a rubber tailskid with a simple spring mount - perhaps a solid mount (like on a 1-34 for example) would be harder on the bearings...

As usual, YMMV.

Kirk
66
Old January 12th 18, 12:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, January 8, 2018 at 5:49:16 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Anyone have a source for the little hard plastic wingtip wheels that were recessed into the Libelle 201 wingtips? The early gliders didn't have them but I know of at least one owner who got them from Glasflugel and added them later. For those with long memories, W1 (Woody Woodward) installed one just to see if it added any detectable drag (apparently not) before installing the second one. Hahaha.

I've seen several variations of the small tip wheels that are built into a fairing or tip skid that's glued onto the bottom of the tip but not the type that are recessed into the wing as on the 201. Only the bottom half of the small hard plastic wheel protruded from the wingtip but it kept the tips off the ground if a wing dropped while flying and made ground handling a little easier, especially when landing out and having to move the glider solo.

It wouldn't be easy to replace one without opening up the wing (IIRC, the axle was inside of the skin) but I've never heard of anyone having to.

Chip Bearden

Chip,

I have some wheels I got from my HPH 304CZ. Do you know the size you need? I had to special order them and have since sold the glider.

Dan Reagan
Old January 12th 18, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Colin Roney

wrote:
Anyone have a source for the little hard plastic

wingtip wheels that
were=
recessed into the Libelle 201 wingtips? The early

gliders didn't have
them=
but I know of at least one owner who got them from

Glasflugel and added
th=
em later. For those with long memories, W1 (Woody

Woodward) installed one
j=
ust to see if it added any detectable drag (apparently

not) before
installi=
ng the second one. Hahaha.=20
=20

=
[...]

anyone having to.=20
=20
Chip Bearden

Chip,

I have some wheels I got from my HPH 304CZ. Do you

know the size you
need?=
I had to special order them and have since sold the

glider.

Dan Reagan

A point that doesn`t seemed to have been raised
concerns the protection of the underside t/e of the
aileron when landing on a hard runway and unable to
keep the wings level until the glider stops.If a bit of
inadvertent stick against the wing going down occurs at
the last moment before stopping damage will occur.In
this case a skid of up to 40mm deep may be required.

Repainting Wingtip JB Gunner Soaring 11 November 23rd 17 04:33 PM
new wingtip design ND Soaring 16 March 1st 15 03:27 AM
Glue for wingtip wheels? R Weien Soaring 7 July 16th 11 01:53 AM
A wingtip Glenn[_2_] Aviation Photos 5 September 3rd 10 03:33 PM
Wingtip Camera NG[_2_] Soaring 14 April 9th 09 11:38 PM