stowing horizontal stabilizer on tail boom in trailer

Old September 6th 18, 03:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default stowing horizontal stabilizer on tail boom in trailer

I have seen a glider trailer in which the aircraft's horizontal stabilizer is strapped to the glider's tail boom for storage and transport. I can't recall where I saw this, and a google image search did not yield any hits.

At any rate, strapping the horizontal stabilizer to the tail boom is one solution I am investigating as my partner and I work to retrofit a new tube trailer to our DG-101. It seems to me that this could be a storage configuration that would not require the awkward stooped climb-and-carry maneuver that is required if the stabilizer is attached to the roof of the trailer.

I am seeking advice on whether this is generally a good idea and if there is a commercial product we could use.

Matt
Old September 6th 18, 03:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, September 6, 2018 at 10:14:01 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I have seen a glider trailer in which the aircraft's horizontal stabilizer is strapped to the glider's tail boom for storage and transport. I can't recall where I saw this, and a google image search did not yield any hits.

At any rate, strapping the horizontal stabilizer to the tail boom is one solution I am investigating as my partner and I work to retrofit a new tube trailer to our DG-101. It seems to me that this could be a storage configuration that would not require the awkward stooped climb-and-carry maneuver that is required if the stabilizer is attached to the roof of the trailer.

I am seeking advice on whether this is generally a good idea and if there is a commercial product we could use.

Matt

Most of the trailers like yours use a saddle assembly that slides into the trailer and is secured to the floor of the trailer. My experience is that this is less awkward than the aft fuselage type carrier. I have owned trailers with both types.
UH
Old September 6th 18, 03:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

We have that, but our stabilizer is thicker and much more strongly swept than the one that this piece was designed to hold. It might be possible to modify it with effort, but it looks like it would be quite involved.

Alternatively, if anyone has such an item that would more closely conform to the DG-101's stabilizer shape, please let me know!

Old September 6th 18, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike C

On Thursday, September 6, 2018 at 8:14:01 AM UTC-6, wrote:
I have seen a glider trailer in which the aircraft's horizontal stabilizer is strapped to the glider's tail boom for storage and transport. I can't recall where I saw this, and a google image search did not yield any hits.

At any rate, strapping the horizontal stabilizer to the tail boom is one solution I am investigating as my partner and I work to retrofit a new tube trailer to our DG-101. It seems to me that this could be a storage configuration that would not require the awkward stooped climb-and-carry maneuver that is required if the stabilizer is attached to the roof of the trailer.

I am seeking advice on whether this is generally a good idea and if there is a commercial product we could use.

Matt

My DG100 had that setup and it worked well. The trailer and hor stab carrier were both homemade. If you search the FAA database and find the current owner of
N9994F maybe you could get some photos to fabricate one.

Mike
Old September 6th 18, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

By the way, a scale drawing of the -101 can be found on John DeRosa's website he
http://aviation.derosaweb.net/dg101/...ing_DG-100.jpg

There are two different stabilizers shown in that picture; ours is the one on the left. Our -101 does not have the all-flying tail that the earlier DG-100s had.

Matt

Old September 6th 18, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I have this set up on my Pegasus. I'm pretty sure the saddle is custom made as the stab is very snug in it and the saddle fits the boom and wing fairings precisely. It works well. I can get you photos if you like but I won't be at the airport for a couple of weeks, at least.
Old September 6th 18, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, September 6, 2018 at 10:59:45 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I have this set up on my Pegasus. I'm pretty sure the saddle is custom made as the stab is very snug in it and the saddle fits the boom and wing fairings precisely. It works well. I can get you photos if you like but I won't be at the airport for a couple of weeks, at least.

Photos would be helpful and much appreciated. Please send them to mmcbee at gmail dot com. Thanks!
Matt
Old September 7th 18, 01:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
C-FFKQ (42)

My Kestrel uses a saddle that straps onto the tail boom and is kept from rotating by a section that goes up the fin.

The horizontal stab fits into a full cuff at one end and an open cuff at the other, held in by bungee cord.

If I can get at the ship in the next day or so -- and remember -- I'll take pictures and forward them to you.
Old September 7th 18, 06:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Per Carlin

When you are making the saddle to be strapped on the boom, also include a handle that allows you to pull the glider out of the trailer without you crawling into the trailer, it will cost you some hours in manufacturing once and it will save your back for the next 10 years. It can be as simple as a fitted tube that extends beyond the fin
Old September 7th 18, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Thursday, September 6, 2018 at 7:44:09 PM UTC-5, C-FFKQ (42) wrote:
My Kestrel uses a saddle that straps onto the tail boom and is kept from rotating by a section that goes up the fin.

The horizontal stab fits into a full cuff at one end and an open cuff at the other, held in by bungee cord.

If I can get at the ship in the next day or so -- and remember -- I'll take pictures and forward them to you.

Or, you can go to the Wings and Wheels classifieds, look in the "recently sold" for the Slingsby T59 Kestrel and see the cuff.

https://wingsandwheels.com/classifieds/?m=sold

Sorry, I can't pull it up by itself any more. It is on the first page, though. Can't miss it.

Steve Leonard