Your opinions, please!

Old December 12th 03, 07:47 PM
Jay Honeck

Default Your opinions, please!

Our new rec.aviation "Rogue's Gallery" of pictures.

Since our new website is obviously becoming more popular with you folks
every day, I need some advice on how to proceed:

1. Should I include "anonymous" posters? I have received pictures from
several folks who do not wish to use their real names, have their "N"
numbers visible, or have their home bases publicized. To me this seems
bizarre, since the whole point of "showing off" your plane is to "show
off" -- and how can you do *that* anonymously? Still, I've posted a
couple of them, but I'm not sure of how to proceed. It's YOUR page -- what
do you folks think?

2. The page is slowing waaaay down. I really like the format of the page,
but as it grows it's getting really slow to open. How's it running for you?
Too slow? Okay, yet? How slow is too slow?

3. Should I include email addresses? I've not included them, thus far --
but I thought it might be valuable to have an email "directory" of
participants?

Thanks for your help!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old December 12th 03, 08:08 PM
Jack Allison

Jay,

Page loads quickly for me (accessing via internet at work, have not tried
dialup). While I respect anyone not wanting to post their name or N-number,
I fail to see the value of having a bunch of nameless/numberless pictures of
seemingly random folks that supposedly frequent the newsgroup. Like Jim
said, I can get pictures of airplanes anywhere. e-mail addresses,
strictly optional and at the discretion of the person who sends you the
pictures. Just my 2 cents worth...

You're right, the page *is* growing. Several new entries since a couple
weeks ago.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old December 12th 03, 08:14 PM
Rosspilot

I vote "no" on anonymous bandwidth. The internet has enough.
www.Rosspilot.com

Old December 12th 03, 08:58 PM
Mike Adams

I agree with Jim's suggestions. I get plenty of spam already, so don't
need my email address out there one more place. Speed is OK, but I've
got cable. You could always break up the page into multiple sections as
it grows, so the number of thumbnails to be loaded is kept manageable.

And I agree with the anonymity issue - yes, there's always a concern for
privacy, but if there's no name or location, it's just a picture of an
airplane.

Mike

"Jim" wrote in
:

no anonymous pics, I can see pics of planes anywhere
speed is fine for me, even on dial up
no email postings, I'm sure they already get enough spam

Old December 12th 03, 09:01 PM
Marco Leon

I find the anonymous pics a bit bizarre too. How about using their "from"
name when they post to the group. That way they can maintain as much
anonymity as they want. As for the N-numbers, anyone can look it up so nix
those pix.

Page loads fine for me but I'm on a cable modem but I can see it becoming a
problem eventually. You may want to have a listing by state with their name
and n-number and maybe one picture and make it a link to anther page. Sort
of like this:
NY
John Doe N123AB Pic
Steve and Amy Smith N54321 Pic

Also, I vote no on the email addresses. If they want it they can refer to
the newsgroup posts.

My $0.02

Marco

http://www.usenet.com
Old December 12th 03, 09:30 PM
Mitch Hines

I agree with the "no anonymous" posters.

But I really like the thumbnail views as opposed to just text links to the
pictures. You could break it in half now, and thirds or quarters later.
Where page one would have A-M and Page Two would have N-Z. Currently it's
not bad on broadband, probably a bear on dialup.

--Mitch

--
Mitch Hines
Alon A-2 Aircoupe

Flight by machines heavier than air is unpractical
and insignificant, if not utterly impossible.

- Simon Newcomb, 1902

"A Lieberman" wrote in message
Jay Honeck wrote:

No anonymous posters. Like others said, I can go to the web and look
for plane pictures.

Suggestion.

Have the main page text only, in the format you have, with hyperlinks on
the names to the sub page.

You have
A B C
and names and pics.

Maybe
A B C (each letter linked to the top of the name list)
name linked to pic page.

The sub page contains the pictures, and at the bottom of each sub page a
back link to the main text page so the user doesn't even have to use the
back button. And yet another link to your main homepage.

Hope you find this useful.

Allen

Old December 12th 03, 10:48 PM
Javier Henderson

"Jay Honeck" writes:

2. The page is slowing waaaay down. I really like the format of the page,
but as it grows it's getting really slow to open. How's it running for you?
Too slow? Okay, yet? How slow is too slow?

The server this is on has only T1 connectivity.

Jay, I'll get in touch with you via private email, we should move
it to the server with 100 megabits connectivity.

-jav
Old December 12th 03, 10:56 PM
dave

Jay,
I appreciate what your doing. It's a great idea. I'm not a frequent
poster so I wouldn't have sent you pictures anyway. I also don't see
any value in anonymous posters. Having said that, even if I was a
frequent poster, I'd be reluctant to post pictures with names and
numbers. We all know the problem with our pilot license numbers. The
name and address of a pilot, his SS number and the exact N-number,
serial number, and address of his airplane, a very valuable tangible
asset, might make easy picking for an identity thief. Am I being
overly cautious, yes.
Dave
'68 7ECA