Your free AvGas fillup at Dodge Center MN (TOB) July Sunday 31, AM

Old August 1st 05, 02:57 AM
Aluckyguess

It was unauthorized the guy stole the gas. He should get credited back.
Pretty simple really. Cancel the card if they disagree.
"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
oups.com...
It only takes one time to learn . I would contact the credit card
company and see what they can do. If they consider it an "authorized
charge" then you'll get your credit. Not sure how they will look at it
though.

-Robert

Old August 1st 05, 04:24 AM
George Patterson

abripl wrote:

Just returned from Oshkosh home to Pierre SD. I filled up at Dodge
Center MN this AM and not being familiar with the self serve gas
fillup, I did not hang up the pump handle properly.

I expect that you are assuming this is the cause of the bill. Write your credit
card company (call if you like, but you still have to write). Tell them that you
charged $50 on your card for fuel and the FBO billed you for $200. Contest the
charge.

George Patterson
Old August 1st 05, 08:35 AM
Peter Duniho

"Ted" wrote in message ...
[...]
Speaking of which, to the OP: is it possible that the charge you are
seeing is just an authorization and not a charge? The self-pump might
have authorized an arbitrary large number to make sure your credit card
was good for it before it let you pump anything.

That's a very good point. Wish I'd thought of it when I was writing my

It is indeed very common for the initial credit card transaction to be that
authorization. If you pick "fill up" on the pump, it will record an
authorization on your credit card equal to some pre-determined maximum (the
maximum fuel available on a "fill up" will be determined by this maximum and
the current fuel price).

Good thing Ted mentioned it...even though I was aware of this, I probably
wouldn't have gotten my brain in gear enough to connect the two.

Pete

Old August 1st 05, 01:52 PM
Jay Honeck

It was unauthorized the guy stole the gas. He should get credited back.

Well, yes and no.

He authorized a purchase of up to "x" amount at the pump. He then filled
his plane to "y" amount, leaving the remainder of "x" as an authorized
purchase. The next guy used up his authorized purchase, if I'm following
this thread correctly.

No credit card company is going to be able to discern the difference between
what he did, and what he *meant* to do. He goofed, and someone filled up
using his remaining credit. They may not even realize it, yet.

Worse yet, if the credit card company DOES credit him back, they will charge
back the merchant automatically. Then the FBO is out the money, which
helps no one.

Credit card companies cannot (and will not) ever lose. They represent the
worst in our economy, ranking right behind insurance and liability issues as
one of the three biggest detriments to economic growth.

IMHO, of course!

:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old August 1st 05, 02:15 PM
Darrel Toepfer

n93332 wrote:

Seriously, do you think you have ANY chance of finding the person(s) that
filled up after you on these newsgroups? I hope you're lucky and find out
who it is and get the $150 credit back.

My dad did, it was alot more than $150 too, 2 cropdusters...

CC company actually called because the bill was not in the norm...
Old August 1st 05, 03:15 PM
Matt Barrow

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
newsWoHe.210555$_o.100697@attbi_s71...
It was unauthorized the guy stole the gas. He should get credited back.

Credit card companies cannot (and will not) ever lose. They represent

the
worst in our economy, ranking right behind insurance and liability issues

as
one of the three biggest detriments to economic growth.

They are middlemen between the customer and the merchant and not really a
party to the transaction, merely a facilitator. Why should they be liable
unless they screwed it up somehow?

The fellow in this case failed to closed the pump. In the same way if he
left his wallet full of cash around, he was grossly negligent.

Too bad, but the fellow needs to grow and an accept responsibility for his
actions. Or it that passe in America anymore?

IMHO, of course!

I gotta opinion 'fer ya right here!!

Old August 1st 05, 03:47 PM
Allen

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

The fellow in this case failed to closed the pump. In the same way if he
left his wallet full of cash around, he was grossly negligent.

Too bad, but the fellow needs to grow and an accept responsibility for his
actions. Or it that passe in America anymore?

IMHO, of course!

I gotta opinion 'fer ya right here!!

You are right but there were two wrongs here. Failure to properly end the
transaction was the first one. The second was the person who took advantage
of the situation to make off with the "free" gas. That was like finding the
wallet full of cash and not trying to return it intact to it's rightful
owner. Responsibility and morality are on the decline everywhere you look.

IMHO

Allen

Old August 1st 05, 04:11 PM
Matt Barrow

"Allen" wrote in message

"Matt Barrow" wrote in message

The fellow in this case failed to closed the pump. In the same way if he
left his wallet full of cash around, he was grossly negligent.

Too bad, but the fellow needs to grow and an accept responsibility for

his
actions. Or it that passe in America anymore?

You are right but there were two wrongs here. Failure to properly end the
transaction was the first one. The second was the person who took

advantage
of the situation to make off with the "free" gas. That was like finding

the
wallet full of cash and not trying to return it intact to it's rightful
owner. Responsibility and morality are on the decline everywhere you

look.

And that's something new? Let me give you some insight in to the last 10,000
years...

Old August 1st 05, 05:04 PM
abripl

Too bad, but the fellow needs to grow and an accept responsibility for his
actions. Or it that passe in America anymore?

Hey Jay, I didn't start this thread to blame anybody. Just posted it
requesting the guy to contact me to straighten this out. There are some
honest people. Some will even return a wallet full of money to the
owner. Is honesty passe in America?

Old August 1st 05, 07:58 PM
Allen

"Allen" wrote in message

[...]

You are the own asking if responsibility is passe in America now. Same
shoe, other foot.

Allen