who uses FSS?

Old October 1st 03, 07:39 PM

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote:

wrote in message

Plus, if radar coverage is nonexistant
until in the low flight levels, such as at KBIH, the relay works and frees
up the center controller working traffic from having to work the non-radar
arrivals and departures directly.

Frees up the controller? Clearances and instructions relayed through FSS
are an additional burden on the controller. He has to talk to FSS on the
phone while other aircraft are calling on the radio.

I'm sure that's true with a TRACON. But, doesn't the center have a data person
that works with the FSS?

In the case of KBIH, I recall someone in the Air Traffic Division at the WP
Region saying they didn't remote ZOA to the KBIH RCO because the center didn't
want that link.

Old October 1st 03, 08:03 PM
Tom S.

"Michael 182" wrote in message
The only time I find ii difficult is when they describe a weather pattern,
like a front as being "30 SE of Tyler to 40 N of Lubbock to 20 W of
Midland...." I do a fair amount of flying in areas I am not familiar with
the waypoints, so this is kind of useless.

These are not waypoints, but towns. Plot them on any map if your don't have
a sat or radar picture.

Old October 1st 03, 09:49 PM
Teacherjh

The only time I find ii difficult is when they describe a weather pattern,
like a front as being "30 SE of Tyler to 40 N of Lubbock to 20 W of
Midland...." I do a fair amount of flying in areas I am not familiar with
the waypoints, so this is kind of useless.

These are not waypoints, but towns. Plot them on any map if your don't have
a sat or radar picture.

You sure? Towns and not VORs?

Yanno, I wish they'd have a standard set of points from which to figure these
things and a chart of them. Fly to an unfamiliar area and you spend half the
time trying to FIND Tyler or Lubbock on the map... if it's even listed.

Jose

Old October 1st 03, 09:52 PM
Ron Natalie

"Teacherjh" wrote in message ...

Yanno, I wish they'd have a standard set of points from which to figure these
things and a chart of them. Fly to an unfamiliar area and you spend half the
time trying to FIND Tyler or Lubbock on the map... if it's even listed.

Actually, there are such maps, but they have the identifiers on them rather than the
spelled out town names (more useful when you're looking at the printed area forecast
than listening to one being dictated).

Old October 1st 03, 10:08 PM
Tom S.

"Teacherjh" wrote in message

The only time I find ii difficult is when they describe a weather

pattern,
like a front as being "30 SE of Tyler to 40 N of Lubbock to 20 W of
Midland...." I do a fair amount of flying in areas I am not familiar

with
the waypoints, so this is kind of useless.

These are not waypoints, but towns. Plot them on any map if your don't

have
a sat or radar picture.

You sure? Towns and not VORs?

Yes, I'm sure. The NWS data is pinpointed by towns and other such landmarks.

Yanno, I wish they'd have a standard set of points from which to figure

these
things and a chart of them. Fly to an unfamiliar area and you spend half

the
time trying to FIND Tyler or Lubbock on the map... if it's even listed.

If you're that bad at reading a map, especially a map for the area you're
flying in, I dare say you should be grounded.

Old October 1st 03, 10:14 PM
Tom S.

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...

"Teacherjh" wrote in message

Yanno, I wish they'd have a standard set of points from which to figure

these
things and a chart of them. Fly to an unfamiliar area and you spend

half the
time trying to FIND Tyler or Lubbock on the map... if it's even listed.

Actually, there are such maps, but they have the identifiers on them

rather than the
spelled out town names (more useful when you're looking at the printed

area forecast
than listening to one being dictated).

There are also maps that have the weather picture superimposed, but if all
you have is text, it's good to make a map that you can markup and carry.

Old October 1st 03, 10:27 PM
Michael 182

You're missing the point. Of course we can all read a map. The point is to
get the appropriate info *and* save time in briefings, not extend it by
proving our map reading abilities.

Old October 1st 03, 10:49 PM
Roger Tracy

I look at ADDS and WeatherTap. Then I get a DUATS briefing
and print it out. That takes care of the legal requirement. And DUATS is a
good reference. If I need to file (IFR or VFR) I file it on DUATS. Other
than a bit after 9/11 while things were in turmoil .. I seldome talk to FSS.

"McGregor" wrote in message
link.net...
I get my pre-flight briefings from:
*) weathertap - RadarLab, area outlook, tafs, progs
*) ADDS - flightpath tool for AIRMETS & winds aloft along the route
*) FlightStar - to tell me how long it'll take, print nice-looking flight
plans, plan fuel stops, etc.

Then I call flight service and listen to the guy/girl give me this wildly
generalized briefing that usually doesn't tell me very much.

Last time I was in a flight service station (2000 I think) they were still
using IBM CRTs with textual info, so I don't know how they can give anyone

very precise route briefing.

So... is FSS just there to a) cover your ass in case of an incident

("pilot
called FSS and got a full weather briefing prior to departing into known
icing/TFR/hurricane etc.") b) accept flight plans?

Old October 1st 03, 10:51 PM
Ron Natalie

"Tom S." wrote in message ...

Actually, there are such maps, but they have the identifiers on them

rather than the
spelled out town names (more useful when you're looking at the printed

area forecast
than listening to one being dictated).

There are also maps that have the weather picture superimposed, but if all
you have is text, it's good to make a map that you can markup and carry.

I'm talking about a blank map that you can doodle on while reading/listening
to the forecast. Looks like a map of the US with maybe 100 labeled dots on it for
each weather reporting station.
http://aviationweather.noaa.gov/static/info/advsry/

The have the chart in a variety of formats and also a list of the city/identifier
mappings.

Old October 1st 03, 11:20 PM
Ron Natalie

"Roger Tracy" wrote in message ...
I look at ADDS and WeatherTap. Then I get a DUATS briefing
and print it out. That takes care of the legal requirement. And DUATS is a
good reference. If I need to file (IFR or VFR) I file it on DUATS. Other
than a bit after 9/11 while things were in turmoil .. I seldome talk to FSS.

It's still in turmoil. You're well advised to continue to overburden the system
by calling up to see if there are any new TFR's frequently to cover your ass.