Is an IPC a substitute for 6 approaches?

Old August 25th 06, 05:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

Default Is an IPC a substitute for 6 approaches?

d) Instrument proficiency check. Except as provided in
paragraph (e) of this section, a person who does not meet
the instrument experience requirements of paragraph (c) of
this section within the prescribed time, or within 6
calendar months after the prescribed time, may not serve as
pilot in command under IFR or in weather conditions less
than the minimums prescribed for VFR until that person
passes an instrument proficiency check consisting of a
representative number of tasks required by the instrument
rating practical test.
(1) The instrument proficiency check must be-
(i) In an aircraft that is appropriate to the aircraft
category;

The check is available at any time and fully meets the
requirements of legal currency...

a person who does not meet the instrument experience
requirements of paragraph (c) until that person passes an

"Gary Drescher" wrote in message
| "Bill Zaleski" wrote in
message
| This is from the last set of FAQ's that we are not
supposed to have
| anymore. It used to be stated as FAA policy, but
someone decided that
| they didn't want to stick their neck out anymore. I
believe it to be
| accurate. Since an IPC is essentially an instrumet
checkride given by
| a CFII, and an instrument checkride consists of only 3
approaches
| anyway, it stands to reason that an IPC and currency
needs not be
| something more than the original practical test
consisted of. The
| sucessful instrument applicant left the checkride
current to fly IFR
| in the system with only 3 approaches demonstrated.
|
| I agree that both an instrument checkride and an IPC need
not include more
| than three approaches. Still, as the regs are written,
neither a
| just-completed instrument checkride, nor a just-completed
IPC, waives the
| requirement of 61.57c to have flown six approaches in the
past six months in
| order to be instrument-current. But I have no idea whether
the FAA
| interprets the regs as written (the FAQ you cite suggests
that they don't).

Old August 25th 06, 06:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Ben Jackson

On 2006-08-25, Jim Macklin wrote:

The check is available at any time and fully meets the
requirements of legal currency...

As written, I don't see where you get that. For one thing, if the IPC
supersedes the 6-in-6 rule, when does IPC-induced currency run out? If
I flew three approaches last month, and then flew an IPC this month
with three more, do run out in 5 months or 6?

To consider a parallel set of regulations -- does a BFR make you current
to fly passengers at night?

--
Ben Jackson AD7GD

http://www.ben.com/
Old August 25th 06, 12:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

A IPC is valid for 6 months. You need to read legal documents using formal rules. The IPC rule says that a pilot who does not meet the 6-6 rule may take an IPC, the IPC becomes mandatory 12 months after the date currency was established.

There are clearly many examples were the 6-6 rule is inadequate to provide safety. The new IR pilot who stops flying for 9 months the day after the IR practical test with a TT of say 200 hours. More time would be needed just to be VFR current and just flying 6-6 with a safety pilot is not as good as the IPC. A 3,000 professional pilot might be able to take a layoff for a full year and get back in the cockpit safely with a one hour flight with a CFI. The IPC might bring them back to speed since they have a good base.

If you don't "see" the meaning of the words, suggest you find a qualified high school English teacher or a lawyer and have them show you. You carefully snipped the quoted regulation so it couldn't be seen by anyone else.

[...]

Note that years ago, any CFII could do an IPC with one trip around the airport and one instrument approach. The rule was tightened by requiring the completion of the IPC following the tasks in the IR PTS.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

Old August 25th 06, 02:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Robert Chambers

Jim Macklin wrote:
A IPC is valid for 6 months. You need to read legal documents using
formal rules. The IPC rule says that a pilot who does not meet the 6-6
rule may take an IPC, the IPC becomes mandatory 12 months after the date
currency was established.

That's the way I was instructed it worked as well. For my normal flying
I rarely get 6 approaches (in IMC to after the FAF) so my currency will
lapse. What I do in each case is book time with my instructor and do an
IPC. Anyone can do 6 approaches with a safety pilot (or however many
more you need to be current, tracking VOR's we all do that, and fly
without outside reference, holding) but does that mean you're doing it
well? Can a safety pilot evaluate you and your habits as well as a CFII
who is experienced in seeing what the student (of any level) is doing
and correcting small faults or bad habits before they get too ingrained?

Most of the time a couple of hours flying with a CFII, doing the things
required in the PTS for the IPC will suffice. I've done an IPC and had
one of those days when things just didn't come together well and after
we landed my CFI said "lets go up one more time and work on those things
you had difficulty with and I'll sign you off after that".

That kind of evaluation does me more good than flying around with a
buddy under the hood.

I fly IFR in the clouds and most of the time I have my family with me.
Our safety is paramount and that's why I go to the extra effort of
getting an IPC every 6 months or so.

Robert
Old August 25th 06, 02:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

"Robert Chambers" wrote in message
et...

That's the way I was instructed it worked as well. For my normal flying I
rarely get 6 approaches (in IMC to after the FAF) so my currency will
lapse.

Do approaches have to be in IMC to after the IAF to count towards currency?

Old August 25th 06, 03:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

No.

Personally, I only log approaches that are IMC past the FAF,
but the regulation is written so that you have done an IAP
once you have become established on a segment.

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote
in message
link.net...

| "Robert Chambers" wrote in
message

Old August 25th 06, 03:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message

No.

Personally, I only log approaches that are IMC past the FAF,
but the regulation is written so that you have done an IAP
once you have become established on a segment.

I log an approach whenever one is needed to get into the field. If there's
a solid layer at or below the MIA/MVA then an approach is required to get
in, even if the field is reporting VMC.

Old August 25th 06, 04:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Robert M. Gary

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"Jim Macklin" wrote in message

I log an approach whenever one is needed to get into the field. If there's
a solid layer at or below the MIA/MVA then an approach is required to get
in, even if the field is reporting VMC.

Even if you break out before the IAP?

-Robert

Old August 25th 06, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Robert M. Gary

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"Jim Macklin" wrote in message

I log an approach whenever one is needed to get into the field. If there's
a solid layer at or below the MIA/MVA then an approach is required to get
in, even if the field is reporting VMC.

Steven,
How many approachs do you normally get in that Aeronca?
-Robert

Old August 25th 06, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Robert Chambers

No not at all, that's my personal decision to count an approach as
legit. I figure if I get to the FAF and I'm not IMC then I'd need a
hood and a safety pilot to make it count as one of the 6 approaches.
Sorry for the confusion there.