Silly controller

Old August 26th 06, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Newps

Default Silly controller

Christopher C. Stacy wrote:

When he gave you the clearance for the approach, did he say
"Maintain VFR?" If not, you were really IFR.

Who taught you that? IFR by osmosis, that sure would help to unclutter
the frequency sometimes.

Old August 26th 06, 09:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Robert M. Gary wrote:

Word games aside, Steven is right. The difference between being IFR and
VFR in controlled airspace is being told "cleared to foobar".

-Robert

The system is designed to process a formally filed IFR flight plan from
one airport to another. The formal tower-en route program in Southern
California works, too, because it is formalized.

Pop-ups without a filed flight plan, and local training flights
sometimes get mishandled because, unlike the foregoing, they just aren't
in the "system" in a formal sense.
Old August 26th 06, 11:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Hamish Reid

In article ,
(Christopher C. Stacy) wrote:

Hamish Reid writes:
I had a similar experience Wednesday evening with the VOR/DME GPS A
practice approach into Tracy in good VMC. I explicitly asked for a
practice approach, negotiated with the controller for the missed, and
got switched to CTAF fairly early on. The approach went fairly normally,
then when I came back to him on the (new, improved) missed and asked for
flight following back to Hayward, he says "report cancelling IFR". I
thought maybe he'd confused us with someone else, so I repeated the
request, and got the same terse response. So I cancelled IFR, even
though it was a practice approach; there was no mode c code change or
any other change after cancelling IFR.

When he gave you the clearance for the approach, did he say
"Maintain VFR?" If not, you were really IFR.

Hmmm. That's not how I learned it...

And that makes
sense, since he subsequently asked you to report when you were
cancelling your IFR clearance.

But as explained in my first posting, I'd already cancelled my original
clearance some 30 minutes earlier; I was now doing a sequence of
practice approaches first at Stockton then into Tracy (something I've
done many times in the past year or two).

The above exchange sounds to me
like he gave you a new pop-up IFR clearance -- what you requested:
direct Hayward.

But I didn't request direct Hayward -- I requested (and got) the
practice VOR/DME GPS A approach into Tracy, and I was on the published
missed for that approach when I asked for VFR flight following back to
Hayward...

The part where you asked for "practice" and "flight
following" seems inconsistent with what he was saying back to you.
Are you sure it was the same guy who you started the approach with?

Not certain, but it sure sounded like him.

In any case, what both Robert and I noticed was that NorCal appears to
have either changed the SOP for practice approaches 'round here, or a
particular controller or sector was doing things differently, or maybe
it was just a bad day :-).

Hamish
Old August 27th 06, 02:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Emily[_1_]

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
"Christopher C. Stacy" wrote in message
When he gave you the clearance for the approach, did he say
"Maintain VFR?" If not, you were really IFR.

No. You're really IFR when you hear "Cleared to..."

I once requested a practice approach with a student, and the controller
asked if I wanted to do it VFR or IFR. I replied that I preferred VFR,
and he gave me an altitude to climb to. I told him that if he wanted us
there, we'd have to do it IFR. His response? "Ok, you're IFR then.
Climb and maintain 5000." It's really hard to teach correct phraseology
to a student with instructions like that. Student and I had a really
long talk on the ground later.
Old August 27th 06, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Emily[_1_]

Doug wrote:
I was once told, just outside the FAF "the approach is APPROVED, radar
services TERMINATED". And yes kiddies I was in a cloud. (He musta been
a supervisor :-)

At my home airport, we had radar service terminated all the time. Radar
didn't reach below 3000 feet or so and they (usually) let us know when
they couldn't pick us up anymore. We were still IFR.
Old August 27th 06, 04:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

"Emily" wrote in message

At my home airport, we had radar service terminated all the time. Radar
didn't reach below 3000 feet or so and they (usually) let us know when
they couldn't pick us up anymore. We were still IFR.

The phraseology for loss of radar contact is "radar contact lost", not
"radar service terminated".

Old August 27th 06, 05:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Carter[_1_]

Old August 27th 06, 08:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

My best "silly controller" was back in 1981-82 with a new
hire working the Topeka, Kansas Forbes Airport. I checked
in IFR about 20 miles from the airport and he gave me the
weather, "Forbes 600 overcast, visibility 4 miles, cleared
for the visual approach." After waiting a few seconds I
replied, "If it really is 600 over, can I have the ILS?"

It had been severe clear for days, I guess he'd just gotten
used to that clearance.

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

news:004301c6c98f$b7d9d310$4001a8c0@omnibook6100.. .

]

Old August 27th 06, 09:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Christopher C. Stacy

"Robert M. Gary" writes:

Christopher C. Stacy wrote:
"Steven P. McNicoll" writes:

"Christopher C. Stacy" wrote in message

When he gave you the clearance for the approach, did he say
"Maintain VFR?" If not, you were really IFR.

No. You're really IFR when you hear "Cleared to..."

Like in, "Cleared for the ILS runway 23 at Foobar maintain 2000 until established" ?

Or "Cleared to Land"

Word games aside, Steven is right. The difference between being IFR and
VFR in controlled airspace is being told "cleared to foobar".

The instruction "Cleared for the ILS runway 23 at Foobar maintain 2000 until established"
contains "cleared", a route (which is even a charted IFR procedure), an altitude,
and a clearance limit (landing Foobar airport, or executing the published missed
approach procedure). How is that not an IFR clearance?

I think it is, unless the controller adds the words "maintain VFR".
When I want a practice approach and the controller fails to say "VFR",
I add it back in to try and make sure, like:
"Cherokee 97R cleared for the ILS 29 maintain VFR".
Old August 27th 06, 09:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Christopher C. Stacy

(Christopher C. Stacy) writes:

"Robert M. Gary" writes:

Christopher C. Stacy wrote:
"Steven P. McNicoll" writes:

[...]

I phoned Boston TRACON for their opinion, and the supervisor said that when
(for example) receiving multiple practice approaches in VFR conditions,
with the phraeology given above: unless the magic words "maintain VFR"
are in the instruction, you are in the system, receiving IFR separation,
and in the event of lost comm would be expected (in VFR conditions) to land.