Realistic Instrument Training using MSFS 2004

Old February 14th 07, 01:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr
Thomas Borchert

Default Realistic Instrument Training using MSFS 2004

This happens with no scenery displayed (in the clouds).

MSFS does calculate scenery even when showing whit. You need to turn
down the detail level (and dynamic scenery - very important!). Also,
check the realism settings. All but P-factor (totally unrealistic)
should be high.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old February 14th 07, 01:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr
Thomas Borchert

When I have to look
up a procedure or find an intersection and take my attention away from
the instruments: that's when the worms can come out of the ground!

Ah, that's why single pilot IFR in Germany requires a two-axis autopilot
(with alt hold) by law.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old February 14th 07, 02:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr
john hawkins

I noticed all the comments on holding altitude.
I ,too, found it nearly impossible until I used the add on realtrim
free from avsim lib
http://library.avsim.net/

File Description:
RealTrim is a Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004(tm) module that makes trimming
aircrafts
more realistic and resemble real-life. It can be activated via key-press
when the
sim-pilot moves the joystick from deflection to neutral,
hence converting the movement of the joystick into movement of the trim
wheel.
This matches real-life where back/forward pressure on the elevator applied
by the pilot
is trimmed out by ONE operation: moving the trim-wheel. As the sim-pilot
smoothly moves
the joystick into neutral position RealTrim automatically adjusts the
elevator trim by a
corresponding amount. The airplane keeps its current pitch configuration -
only ONE
control input is required instead of the pilots having to move the joystick
into neutral
WHILE tapping the trim-key at the same time. RealTrim also comes with an
option to reduce
trim increments making it more precise to adjust trim in flight with the
trim up/down keys.

Its not exactly like trimming off control presssure but close and it sure
beats playing
with the trim wheel

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi All,

I'm a longtime lurker here, but now I have a question I hope the group
can help me with. I am working toward my instrument rating (21 hours
so far), and want to use MSFS to practice (cheaply). I do fine with
holding a heading, but I find it very difficult to maintain an
altitude. The real plane is much much easier. I also noticed that
even when the scenery flies by smoothly (when I'm in VMC!) the
instruments seem to update at a slower rate. Not quite a slide show,
but harder than it should be to control. I've tried fiddling with
the realism and sensitivity settings to no avail. I have noticed a
number of folks posting on this group use this simulator to maintain
proficiency, and I was just wondering how you have it set up.

FYI...I'm using the CH products USB Flight Sim yolk, and the CH USB
rudder pedals. The computer seems plenty fast enough with a 256MB
graphics card. Like I mentioned before, everything is very smooth
except for the instruments refreshing.

Thanks everyone!

Steve

Old February 14th 07, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr
Mxsmanic

Thomas Borchert writes:

Ah, that's why single pilot IFR in Germany requires a two-axis autopilot
(with alt hold) by law.

Everything is either required or prohibited by law in Germany.

Old February 14th 07, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr
Mxsmanic

Thomas Borchert writes:

That's not really what you can practice with MSFS. It's just not close
enough to the real thing.

That depends on the aircraft, and the situation.

Old February 14th 07, 05:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr

On Feb 13, 11:48 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
writes:
I'm a longtime lurker here, but now I have a question I hope the group
can help me with. I am working toward my instrument rating (21 hours
so far), and want to use MSFS to practice (cheaply). I do fine with
holding a heading, but I find it very difficult to maintain an
altitude. The real plane is much much easier.

Difficult in what way?

If you have an autopilot, use it. Flying by instruments concerns the
method(s) through which you obtain situational awareness, not the methods you
use to control the aircraft.

I guess I have to disagree with you there. The first priority should
be keeping the airplane from stalling/spinning/spiraling into the
ground (AVIATE, navigate, communicate). This is easy when using an
autopilot, but unfortunately autopilots aren't as common on light
single engine aircraft as one would hope. And if there is one, it's
usually just a single axis (heading only). Failure to Aviate seems
to be the most popular method of killing yourself in instrument
conditions.

The second priority is navigation. This is where you need situation
awareness so you don't fly into mountains, and can find the runways.
Navigating can also kill you (CFIT, midairs). .

Finally, it's important to let ATC know what you are doing
(communication). Not too many people have died by failing to
communicate.

Trimming the aircraft is time-consuming in MSFS because it's hard to tell when
you have the trim just right. You can save time by using the autopilot to
hold altitude and set trim, at which point you can turn off the AP and fly by
hand, if you wish.

I also noticed that even when the scenery flies by smoothly (when I'm
in VMC!) the instruments seem to update at a slower rate.

To some extent, that depends on the aircraft model. There's a setting in MSFS
that controls gauge quality that might help. Add-ons sometimes have a
separate setting for gauge update speeds (which are independent of scenery
update speeds).

The only setting I saw in MSFS for gauge quality is for 3D. I don't
use that mode when flying instruments, but maybe there's another
setting I haven't found yet.

In any case, if you are using the simulator for instrument practice rather
than flying practice, frame rates are a bit less important, unless you are
taking off or landing.

Set the weather to a constant heavy fog, and frame rates should improve all
around.

I've been using the advanced weather to set 200 ft ceilings 8/8
overcast stratus with 10,000ft tops, and 1/2 mile visibility. Will
heavy fog be present at 5000 ft? I'll try it.

The default aircraft on MSFS don't have the resolution of some add-ons, so you
may see them snap from one degree to the next on a dial, instead of moving
smoothly. Instruments such as those from Reality XP behave as smoothly as in
real life, but they cost extra (some aircraft include them).

I've seen those advertised before, but I haven't met anyone who has
tried one. If they are that much better, I would be very willing to
buy one.

Thanks.

Old February 14th 07, 05:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr
Roberto Waltman

"Mortimer Schnerd, RN" wrote:
wrote:
... want to use MSFS to practice (cheaply). I do fine with
holding a heading, but I find it very difficult to maintain an
altitude. The real plane is much much easier.

Absolutely the real aircraft is easier. You can feel the pressure against your
hand in the real airplane. MSFS has never duplicated that accurately.

Neither X-Plane. As Steve, I tried using both X-Plane and MSFS 2002 to
reinforce the procedures while getting my SEL private rating.
Specially landing procedures. (Here I slow down, here I open the flaps
one notch, etc.)
In the final stages, when I was getting consistently good comments on
my landings from my flight instructors (on three planes: C152, C172,
Cherokees) I still couldn't hold a stable approach on a simulator.
(And I also got a CH yoke & pedals, not via a joystick.)

Roberto Waltman

[ Please reply to the group,
return address is invalid ]
Old February 14th 07, 05:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr

On Feb 14, 7:06 am, Thomas Borchert
wrote:
This happens with no scenery displayed (in the clouds).

MSFS does calculate scenery even when showing whit. You need to turn
down the detail level (and dynamic scenery - very important!). Also,
check the realism settings. All but P-factor (totally unrealistic)
should be high.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

I didn't know that scenery was still calculated even when not
visible. I will dial everything down.

Thanks!

Old February 14th 07, 05:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr

On Feb 14, 8:22 am, "john hawkins" wrote:
[...]

Another great idea.

Thanks

wrote in message

[...]

MSFS 2004 Video frame rate very slow Greg Brown Simulators 1 November 11th 05 07:24 PM
Instrument training xxx Instrument Flight Rules 79 May 24th 05 11:04 PM
Instrument training xxx Piloting 82 May 24th 05 11:04 PM
"one-week" Instrument Training? Rod S Piloting 7 August 25th 04 12:03 AM
Visual bugs in MSFS 2004 [email protected] Simulators 1 October 4th 03 06:34 PM