Cessna To Build Skycatcher Overseas Despite Cheap Dollar

Old November 26th 07, 03:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

Default Cessna To Build Skycatcher Overseas Despite Cheap Dollar

Cessna SkyCatcher HQ to Be Announced This Week

CESSNA TO BUILD SKYCATCHER OVERSEAS
(http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archive...ll.html#196645)
Cessna CEO Jack Pelton has confirmed what many suspected when the
Cessna 162 Skycatcher -- and its $109,000 price tag -- were
introduced earlier this year. In an interview with The Wichita
Eagle (http://www.kansas.com/107/story/236262.html), Cessna CEO
Jack Pelton said that to make that price target "a major part of
that content has to be built someplace else." Cessna intends to
announce where the little aluminum high-wing will be made at a
news conference on Wednesday. The company has searched the world
looking for the right manufacturer.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/071123/euro_dollar.html?.v=1
Meanwhile, Airbus CEO Thomas Enders said the euro has now "crossed
the pain threshold" and that the rate of the dollar's fall "hardly
leaves room for reasonable adapting."

http://finance.yahoo.com/charts#char...urce=undefined
Five year graph.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/071106/dollar.html?.v=5
Dollar Falls to New Lows
Old November 26th 07, 04:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Darkwing

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message

[...]

I have a proforma sitting on my desk for a container that I need from Italy.
It is going to cost me 15% more than it did two years ago. I had two
containers shipped here two years ago, this year I am doing a half container
that I am sharing with another company. I only ordered what we HAD to have
instead of putting more in overstock. So I can see how much this has hurt
importing from the EU and the UK, two places where I import a lot from.

I wonder if Cessna will choose a company in China to build their plane. If
so you can count me out. If my iPod decides to die I can handle that, if a
wing falls off then I'm in deep ****.

Old November 26th 07, 05:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 11:19:37 -0500, "Darkwing"
theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com wrote in
:

I wonder if Cessna will choose a company in China to build their plane.

I would want to see FAA inspectors stationed on-site at the foreign
manufacturing facility, so that US consumers could be assured that the
composite construction was performed correctly. I would think it
would be difficult to inspect it after the fact.

Old November 26th 07, 05:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Nov 26, 10:31 am, Larry Dighera wrote:
On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 11:19:37 -0500, "Darkwing"
theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com wrote in
:

I wonder if Cessna will choose a company in China to build their plane.

I would want to see FAA inspectors stationed on-site at the foreign
manufacturing facility, so that US consumers could be assured that the
composite construction was performed correctly. I would think it
would be difficult to inspect it after the fact.

Yes, especially with lead based paint on the wings. X-Rays don't go
through lead very well... ;-)
Old November 26th 07, 07:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Larry Dighera wrote:
On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 11:19:37 -0500, "Darkwing"
theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com wrote in
:

I wonder if Cessna will choose a company in China to build their
plane.

I would want to see FAA inspectors stationed on-site at the foreign
manufacturing facility, so that US consumers could be assured that the
composite construction was performed correctly. I would think it
would be difficult to inspect it after the fact.

FAA isn't inspecting US built SLAs why should they inspect foreign?

Old November 26th 07, 07:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 13:45:04 -0600, "Gig 601XL Builder"
wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote in
:

FAA isn't inspecting US built SLAs why should they inspect foreign?

Because of the evidence provided recently of foreign made goods being
below standard.
Old November 26th 07, 08:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Darkwing

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 13:45:04 -0600, "Gig 601XL Builder"
wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net wrote in
:

FAA isn't inspecting US built SLAs why should they inspect foreign?

Because of the evidence provided recently of foreign made goods being
below standard.

....and what a surprise that came to all of us.

Old November 26th 07, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stefan

Larry Dighera schrieb:

Because of the evidence provided recently of foreign made goods being
below standard.

Surely you mean Japanese made cars... or German made gliders... or
Austrian made airplanes (Diamond)... or Swiss made airplanes
(Pilatus)... no, wait, Airbus... whatever.
Old November 26th 07, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

Surely you mean Japanese made cars... or German made gliders... or
Austrian made airplanes (Diamond)... or Swiss made airplanes (Pilatus)...
no, wait, Airbus... whatever.

He should have just come straight out with it, and said, "Chinese made
junk."

There. Is that better?
--
Jim in NC

Old November 26th 07, 09:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Larry Dighera

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 21:32:25 +0100, Stefan
wrote in :

Larry Dighera schrieb:

Because of the evidence provided recently of foreign made goods being
below standard.

Surely you mean Japanese made cars... or German made gliders... or
Austrian made airplanes (Diamond)... or Swiss made airplanes
(Pilatus)... no, wait, Airbus... whatever.

True those countries have reputations for superior products, but some
of the countries Cessna is considering don't:

http://www.kansas.com/107/story/236262.html
Cessna spokesman Bob Stangarone said company officials traveled to
Argentina, Australia, China, the Czech Republic, India and Poland
to search for a place to build the plane.

Skycatcher IFR? Matt Whiting Owning 57 November 26th 07 11:59 PM
Staying current overseas Justin Gombos Piloting 7 October 19th 07 12:45 AM
How far will your dollar go? Karl Collett Home Built 0 October 11th 07 04:00 PM
military and overseas voting [email protected] Military Aviation 6 September 25th 04 08:25 AM
The 4 dollar / 2 second GPS mount John Harlow Piloting 6 February 9th 04 08:23 PM