50 shades of grey glider, whose glider is that in the movie trailer

Old July 25th 14, 12:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
SF

Default 50 shades of grey glider, whose glider is that in the movie trailer

Old July 25th 14, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nik[_2_]

DG505?
Old July 25th 14, 01:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
noel.wade

On Thursday, July 24, 2014 5:09:11 PM UTC-7, Nik wrote:
On Friday, 25 July 2014 01:31:25 UTC+2, SF wrote:

DG505?

DG-1000. One based in the Pacific Northwest, dragged up to Canada for filming.

Don't ask too much, you'll open a can of worms you don't want to deal with: the dragging was done by a club's towplane and was a very controversial use of a not-for-profit club's resources in a for-profit venture by a small group of individuals who do not form the majority of said club. (And it was doubly-controversial, since another local DG-1000 owner died a couple of years ago in a crash while filming a car commercial using his glider).

--Noel

Old July 25th 14, 03:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

So they actually kept the glider stuff in the film? They were going to use my club's 505 and have a club member who has also done professional flying for film and television do the flying. Unfortunately the production company demanded that the club pay for a large amount of liability insurance on top of the liability insurance we already had so no flying scenes were ever done with our ship.
Old July 25th 14, 04:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill T

I would have told the production company to pay the insurance, no insurance no fly.

BillT
Old July 25th 14, 01:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Thursday, July 24, 2014 8:32:57 PM UTC-7, Bill T wrote:
I would have told the production company to pay the insurance, no insurance no fly.

BillT

All bets are off when they point a camera at you and you start thinking of all the money and women.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old July 26th 14, 04:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, July 24, 2014 7:31:25 PM UTC-4, SF wrote:

Sweet Jesus, what a horrible trailer. I don't care how much quality aerial footage there is in that film, it would never be worth sitting throughout that awful flick just to see it.

I'll wait for the DVD so I can fast fwd to the flying and only watch that.
Old July 26th 14, 09:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"I would have told the production company to pay the insurance, no insurance no fly.

BillT "

That's pretty much how it played out! They wouldn't pay for the extra insurance they felt necessary so we dropped out of the project. Apparently the guys our man worked with that were directly responsible for co-coordinating an arranging the actual aerial photography were great to work with and the extra liability requirement was sprung on them later from higher up.

I'm a little relieved as if our ship had appeared in the film it might have persuaded me to go see it. I've been exposed to a few passages from the book and I think the only hope for the film is that it might be "so bad it's good" in the MST3K way!
Old July 26th 14, 02:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

'Way back in the '90s, I flew in a production of "Secrets of Speed" for
ESPN. Did a ground launch for the opener and some formation flight with
an LS-3 with a lipstick camera taped to the wing root of my LS-6a and a
formation landing (on parallel taxiway and runway) with an LS-4. Nobody
said a word about insurance. How times change...

Dan Marotta

Old July 26th 14, 08:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Papa[_2_]

On Thursday, July 24, 2014 7:31:25 PM UTC-4, SF wrote:

Well you might mock, but this movie has the potential to introduce gliding to a vast 'blockbuster' audience. The protagonist describes gliding as his "second favorite pastime".

Why do I know this? My club, York Soaring Association sold the production company a Gob Twin Astir wreck, which has been used, mounted on an armature in front of a chroma screen, to double for the DG 1000 in the close-up shots.

Estrella's Jason flew the slow roll that will put to rest some of the condescending perceptions of gliding as like a winter sleigh, - towed up a hill and then passengers enjoy the ride down.

How can we capitalize on this? Offer to set up a glider in front of a theater marquee? Or at least accompany wives and girlfriends to the movie and offer a ride?

Other ideas?

identify this movie and glider Johan Larson Soaring 16 March 16th 07 08:16 PM
shipping glider to NZ-advice on securing glider in trailer November Bravo Soaring 6 November 1st 06 03:05 PM
F.S. 3-glider trailer Nigel Pocock Soaring 0 September 29th 06 11:29 AM
glider trailer Q Ken Ward Soaring 10 August 28th 06 04:27 PM
glider trailer Q Steve Leonard Soaring 1 August 28th 06 05:29 AM