"Tombstone" agency splitting hairs again

Old November 16th 06, 02:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
BillyJack

Default "Tombstone" agency splitting hairs again

A close call between two planes at O'Hare Airport this
summer was closer than originally reported.

The National Transportation Safety Board said Tuesday that
an Atlas Air cargo plane and a United Airlines jet came
within 35 feet of colliding on July 23 -- not 300 feet as
reported back in July by the Federal Aviation Administration.

The incident was one of the most serious in a string of
runway incursions at O'Hare this year.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/1...ntsb15.article
Old November 16th 06, 05:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

I'd like to see a study that breaks down the involvement of
US citizen pilots and foreign pilots in those incursions and
near mid airs. It has been my experience that pilots from
certain places in the world have a very casual attitude
about such things.

Old November 16th 06, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Barney Rubble

Come on spill the beans, which race are you disparaging, based on your
entirely scientific study?

Old November 16th 06, 10:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

Not race, culture, some cultures have a rather dangerous
attitude about process and procedures.

"Barney Rubble" wrote in message
| Come on spill the beans, which race are you disparaging,
based on your
| entirely scientific study?
|
| "Jim Macklin" wrote
in message
| I'd like to see a study that breaks down the involvement
of
| US citizen pilots and foreign pilots in those incursions
and
| near mid airs. It has been my experience that pilots
from
| certain places in the world have a very casual attitude
| about such things.
|

| "BillyJack" wrote in message
| |
| | A close call between two planes at O'Hare Airport this
| | summer was closer than originally reported.
| |
| | The National Transportation Safety Board said Tuesday
that
| | an Atlas Air cargo plane and a United Airlines jet
came
| | within 35 feet of colliding on July 23 -- not 300 feet
as
| | reported back in July by the Federal Aviation
| Administration.
| |

Old November 17th 06, 01:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Roy N5804F

Come on Jim, You are standing on the edge !
Every culture [and race] has the proverbial bad apple, but to generalize
about a culture [or race] is just off the wall.

Roy
Piper Archer N5804F

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message

Not race, culture, some cultures have a rather dangerous
attitude about process and procedures.

"Barney Rubble" wrote in message
| Come on spill the beans, which race are you disparaging,
based on your
| entirely scientific study?
|
| "Jim Macklin" wrote
in message
| I'd like to see a study that breaks down the involvement
of
| US citizen pilots and foreign pilots in those incursions
and
| near mid airs. It has been my experience that pilots
from
| certain places in the world have a very casual attitude
| about such things.
|

| "BillyJack" wrote in message
| |
| | A close call between two planes at O'Hare Airport this
| | summer was closer than originally reported.
| |
| | The National Transportation Safety Board said Tuesday
that
| | an Atlas Air cargo plane and a United Airlines jet
came
| | within 35 feet of colliding on July 23 -- not 300 feet
as
| | reported back in July by the Federal Aviation
| Administration.
| |

Old November 17th 06, 02:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

No, to ignore actual difference is dangerous. Case in
point, several years ago an airliner with a 100 passengers
crashed on Long Island. There were many survivors since
there was no fire fire. No fuel remained on the airplane
which had held over the ocean because the pilots did not
seek emergency handling, even though they knew they were
running out of fuel. They also knew that the NYC area had
bad weather and long delays but they did not divert and land
at the dozens of airports from Miami to NYC and New
England. This was clearly a machismo thing.

I isn't about race, skin color or even religion. It is
about culture. If you don't understand the difference, take
a few courses.

"Roy N5804F" wrote in
message
ink.net...

| Come on Jim, You are standing on the edge !
| Every culture [and race] has the proverbial bad apple, but
to generalize
| about a culture [or race] is just off the wall.
|
| Roy
| Piper Archer N5804F
|

| "Jim Macklin" wrote
in message

| Not race, culture, some cultures have a rather dangerous
| attitude about process and procedures.
|

| "Barney Rubble" wrote in
message
| | Come on spill the beans, which race are you
disparaging,
| based on your
| | entirely scientific study?
| |
| | "Jim Macklin"
wrote
| in message
| | I'd like to see a study that breaks down the
involvement
| of
| | US citizen pilots and foreign pilots in those
incursions
| and
| | near mid airs. It has been my experience that
pilots
| from
| | certain places in the world have a very casual
attitude
| | about such things.
| |
| |
| |
| | "BillyJack" wrote in message
| | |
| | | A close call between two planes at O'Hare Airport
this
| | | summer was closer than originally reported.
| | |
| | | The National Transportation Safety Board said
Tuesday
| that
| | | an Atlas Air cargo plane and a United Airlines jet
| came
| | | within 35 feet of colliding on July 23 -- not 300
feet
| as
| | | reported back in July by the Federal Aviation
| | Administration.
| | |

Old November 17th 06, 04:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jose[_1_]

This was clearly a machismo thing.

Was it?

Could it also have been a timidity thing? In this country, the pilot(s)
in command has the absolute final say on what goes on in the plane.
It's even written into the FARs. This might not be true in the other
countries. For example (I know, not a parallel), I'm told by pilots who
once flew there that in Mexico, flights have to be dispatched by a
military commander.

These kinds of differences will manifest themselves in training and
attitude in the cockpit. They may have simply been "afraid of the
anticipated mountain of paperwork" not realizing (deep down) that
nothing like that would occur in this country for declaring an emergency
and doing whatever was necessary to meet the emergency.

That would be the opposite of machismo.

Not everything can be blamed on culture.

Jose
--
"Never trust anything that can think for itself, if you can't see where
it keeps its brain." (chapter 10 of book 3 - Harry Potter).
Old November 17th 06, 06:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Jim Macklin

you just blamed Mexican culture.

om...

Old November 17th 06, 09:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
BillyJack

It was actually a Columbian airliner
Running on fumes and augured in
I remember that one

Jim Macklin wrote:
you just blamed Mexican culture.

om...

Old November 17th 06, 01:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Matt Barrow

"Barney Rubble" wrote in message
Come on spill the beans, which race are you disparaging, based on your
entirely scientific study?

Whoever they are, they probably have better comprehension of the English
language than you do. (It wouldn't take much)