1-26 for first glider, or not?

Old November 12th 09, 10:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

Default 1-26 for first glider, or not?

Two words: Open Cockpit!

Get one with a sports canopy and really enjoy that "retro" feel.

Seriously, to me that is the best way to enjoy the 1-26 (although it
can get expensive in lost ballcaps...).

Kirk
66
Old November 12th 09, 11:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tim Taylor

On Nov 12, 7:36*am, tstock wrote:
I know I will get replies on each end of the spectrum... but for a
first glider, low time pilot, it seems like a 1-26 would be a good
choice. *Easy to fly, easy to land in tight spaces, cheap to maintain,
and very common and there are a few 1-26 groups, so help is
available. *It's inexpensive (well under $10,000 USD, more like $6K).
I happen to like "old" stuff, like VW busses, etc, so the vintage
aspect of the 1-26 appeals to me. *Also, I like the idea of starting
"at the beginning", maybe that's just me.

Of course, there is the option to buy an early fiberglass glider for
around 10K, but at that price it's likely a fairly uncommon glider,
hard to find parts for, and maybe not a good plane for a low time
pilot (flaps, etc). *20K would be better but right now that is outside
by budget.

I admit, reading the entire issue of the last soaring issue dedicated
to the 1-26 did lead me down this path. *My wife read it also and
started asking me questions about the 1-26.

So, before I start looking for a 1-26 is there any reason I should
not? *My plan would be to fly the 1-26 for about 5 years and then find
something more modern when funds allow and I've gained more
experience.

Opinions? *If prefer to stay out of the debate you can always email me
privately.

Thanks
-tom

The only thing I will mention is to consider where you are located and
the flying conditions. In some areas the thermals are close enough
spaced that a 1-26 is just fine, other you will be very limited on
where you can fly.

In Northern Utah a 1-26 would not be very useful. The thermals are
often too far apart to jump the gaps between valleys and on ridge days
the lack of l/d especially at higher speeds and penetration would
leave you stuck at home when everyone else is gone.

As always the suggestion of partners in a good glass ship is worth
looking into. For 18 to 20K you can have a much higher performance
ship with two partners. It is a good way to start flying and provides
a built in crew system.

Old November 12th 09, 11:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
tstock

Wow, I posted this, went out and ran some errands, came back and I see
19 replies already! I knew it would be some great reading!

I should have mentioned, I am on the east coast of the US, central
Florida (ie: no ridges). So far wind is usually under 10 knots, and
bases at around 4,000 - 6,000 MSL. Well, in the summer anyway.

So far, the 1-26, Ka6, and 1-34 or 1-35. Interestingly these are the
planes I have been seeing often in the classifieds within my price
range, the 1-26 and Ka6 being the most affordable.

How would you compare the assembly/disassembly among the four?

Not interested in having a partner just yet, so that is not an option.

Thanks!
Tom

Old November 12th 09, 11:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian[_1_]

On Nov 12, 1:59*pm, Tony wrote:
On Nov 12, 2:48*pm, AGL wrote:

On Nov 12, 9:36*am, tstock wrote:

I know I will get replies on each end of the spectrum...

SNIP

We have a few 1-26's at our club and often can’t fly them because it's
too windy. Our club rule is to never fly a 1-26 downwind. * From time
to time someone vows to try landing one backwards against a headwind.
As well, our cloudbase is usually low so a 1-26 doesn’t have a good
enough L/D to get you to the next thermal.

If there was usually less than 5 knots of wind and a decent cloudbase
they would be a lot of fun.

agl

get the trailer set up. if you are spending all your effort trying to
stay upwind in a 1-26 I can see why you don't like. *Little known
secret of low performance soaring: All the FUN is downwind of the
airport.- Hide quoted text -

I will second the good trailer idea. I could assembly my 1-26 almost
as fast as the local glass ships (15-20 minutes)
The tail stayed assembled on the open trailer so no assembly there, so
just attach the wings hook up the ailerons and spoilers, tighten the
wing pins attach and tape the turtle deck and I was ready to fly.

One consideration is what do your other local area pilots fly, If you
have at least one other 1-26 or simliar performance airplane the fun
level of the 1-26 can increase exponationally as you can fly together,
if every one is flying 35+:1 gliders then you will probably quickly
tire if being left behind or landing on days when everyone else is
still flying.

Brian
Old November 12th 09, 11:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
AGL

On Nov 12, 6:13*pm, tstock wrote:
Wow, I posted this, went out and ran some errands, came back and I see
19 replies already! *I knew it would be some great reading!

I should have mentioned, I am on the east coast of the US, central
Florida (ie: no ridges). *So far wind is usually under 10 knots, and
bases at around 4,000 - 6,000 MSL. *Well, in the summer anyway.

So far, the 1-26, Ka6, and 1-34 or 1-35. *Interestingly these are the
planes I have been seeing often in the classifieds within my price
range, the 1-26 and Ka6 being the most affordable.

How would you compare the assembly/disassembly among the four?

Not interested in having a partner just yet, so that is not an option.

Thanks!
Tom

I have a 1-35 and the trailer next to me is a Discus "C." If we help
one another with wings we're done in the same amount of time. He has
to add the 18m tips. I have to connect the ailerons and tape the
turtledeck so it's a wash.

What about a 1-23? Everyone likes those.

agl

Old November 13th 09, 01:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

"AGL" wrote in message ...
On Nov 12, 6:13 pm, tstock wrote:

I have a 1-35 and the trailer next to me is a Discus "C." If we help
one another with wings we're done in the same amount of time. He has
to add the 18m tips. I have to connect the ailerons and tape the
turtledeck so it's a wash.

What about a 1-23? Everyone likes those.

agl

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schweizer_SGS_1-23

It is the sailplane that Paul Bikle flew when setting the world altitude gain record in 1961.

Old November 13th 09, 03:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Nov 12, 5:55*pm, AGL wrote:
On Nov 12, 6:13*pm, tstock wrote:

[...]

Oh Yes! the 1-23 is also a good choice, better performance than the
26 and just as crashworthy. But, they are gonna cost more like 10K.
The 34 is a great machine too. Though flaps aren't a big deal you may
find yourself spending an entire season getting confident with
landings in a 35 when you could be flying cross country. We have 2 of
those at my home club and they never go anywhere. For my money it's
hard to beat the K6. The performance is sweet and the handling is
legendary. I know one that recently sold for $4500 to a new glider
pilot who started flying it cross country his first season. You can
buy a LOT of tows with the money saved.
Old November 13th 09, 04:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

And you don't need a hanger. Keep it in the trailer and rig every
time you fly. That way, when it's a killer day you will GO and when
it's sketchy getting home you wont be worried about landing out
because you KNOW the trailer is ready to go and you KNOW how to put
the glider in the trailer in 20 minutes with 1 other person helping.
Old November 13th 09, 04:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

On Nov 12, 9:41*pm, wrote:

Oh Yes! *the 1-23 is also a good choice, better performance than the
26 and just as crashworthy. *But, they are gonna cost more like 10K.
The 34 is a great machine too. Though flaps aren't a big deal you may
find yourself spending an entire season getting confident with
landings in a 35 when you could be flying cross country. *We have 2 of
those at my home club and they never go anywhere. *For my money it's
hard to beat the K6. *The performance is sweet and the handling is
legendary. *I know one that recently sold for $4500 to a new glider
pilot who started flying it cross country his first season. *You can
buy a LOT of tows with the money saved.- Hide quoted text -

For performance, I would take the 1-23. But I think the 1-23 may be a
bit easier to put together. The 1-23 uses taper pins to attach the
wings. The 1-26 uses straight bolts. The taper pins take a bit more
time and "finesse" to install and certainly to remove. But, I like
performance, and if you are thinking of tieing the plane out, I would
consider the higher performance and the little higher cost. The 1-23
is all metal, and the 1-26 has (at the very least) fabric covered
control surfaces. And there is a 1-36 in your neck of the woods.
But, it is above the price range you mentioned.

On the Ka-6 discussion, they are great! Ka-8s are a blast, too. But,
they are fabric and need to be kept out of the weather. Either in an
enclosed trailer, or in a hangar. Not that big a deal. The Ka-8 has
taper pins, and the Ka-6 has straight pins. Again, my preference is
for gliding performance and the Ka-6. It is also just a touch easier
to assemble.

One other not yet discussed is the Std Austria. Wood, fabric,
fiberglass forward fuselage. And there is one for under $6K right
now, with an enclosed metal trailer. They are probably the most
performance you will get in a Woodie. They are not light, but not
difficult to assemble if you understand what you are doing.

Then, there are the homebuilts. Some are great, others not so good.
If you poke around, you could probably find a Woodstock for under $4k,
and there are Dusters in the 1-26 price range. There is the Miller
Tern and the Cherokee II and Cherokee RM (different wing on a
Cherokee).

I think you will have a blast with what ever you buy. As Hank said,
1-26s can be great fun. As others have said, do your best to get or
make your trailer as user friendly as you possibly can. There is
nothing worse than a trailer that makes you take an hour and a half to
do what you should be able to do in twenty minutes. Ka-6s are nice,
and I think, easier to assemble than a 1-26 (you have better access to
the control connections and drag spar connections). Probably the best
advice is to sit in, and preferably, get a chance to fly one before
you buy. And above all, remember this. You ar ebuying for you, not
for us out here in RAS Land. And advice you get on RAS is worth every
penny you didn't pay for it!

Steve Leonard
(never flown a 1-26 but have a Ka-6, Ka-8, and an Austria)

Glider.... Canuck[_2_] Aviation Photos 3 September 4th 08 04:23 AM
Exporting a glider to/import a glider into Germany Pete Smith[_2_] Soaring 1 August 8th 08 09:33 AM
Glider Model - Blaue Maus- 1922 Wasserkuppe Glider [email protected] Soaring 5 November 19th 06 11:08 PM
shipping glider to NZ-advice on securing glider in trailer November Bravo Soaring 6 November 1st 06 02:05 PM
First Glider Jeff Runciman Soaring 44 October 4th 04 04:58 PM