How to simply determine the L/D of your glider

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 10th 11, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jan

Default How to simply determine the L/D of your glider

Hi Gang
Like you all I have questioned what the best L/D of my 3 (now 1)
gliders - DB800B, Stemme S10-VT and SparrowHawk were in reality
suspecting that real L/Ds would be lower than the manufacturers
published values. I have used a PDA for many years switching it
between gliders. Software is GN11. After each flight I usually
download the log and review on a PC using SeeYou. Now GL11 calculates
an average L/D which can be viewed with the stats for each flight.
Also one can straight edge any glide from a flight and calculate that
effective glide ratio. Especially on a non thermic day one can get a
feel for a gliders' performance. So what I have I found after crudely
averaging in my brain 10 years of flying these 3 glider. Fairly
consistently the DG800B came out around 43 (manufacturer claimed 51.5.
How the hell could DG claim a half percentage point in 51???? That
represents a 1% accuracy! What nonsense!) - the Stemme around 42
(claim approaching 50) almost comparable with the DG and the
SparrowHawk around 29 (claim 35)
If you haven't done these seat of the pants measurements with your
own gliders I would suggest you all do them. It takes a little
practice and time to do the averaging over many flights. Interestingly
after a time and with practice you will find the measurements become
quite consistent which suggests that they might represent something
close to reality.
Dave

Is Newt Gingrich a racist, a bigot or simply a stupid man? Mark Piloting 0 April 13th 10 02:10 PM
Exxon Elite Oil: More favorable oil analysis or simply coincidence? Peter R. Owning 22 September 14th 06 03:50 PM
How do you determine remaining life of Ceconite covering? [email protected] Aviation Marketplace 2 October 8th 05 01:19 AM
Simply Beautiful ! Fil330 Owning 0 December 1st 03 07:49 PM
Simply Beautiful ! Fil330 General Aviation 0 December 1st 03 07:49 PM