Gatorade (only slightly OT)

Old June 5th 10, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brian Whatcott

Default Gatorade (only slightly OT)

brianDG303 wrote:
On Jun 3, 11:15 pm, Mark Jardini wrote:
You dont need potassium- sweat losses are all sodium, Oral rehydration
solutions are for treating severe vomiting and diarrhea, and even then
it is little ones more at risk. Adults have large reserves. You don't
have to put the salt in the drink either. Foods can contain plenty of
sodium, and usually do.

Drink what tastes refreshing to you. I find plenty of ice is most
important.

Mark (plays a doctor like on tv)

Mark,
there is a theory that has been getting stronger over the last 30
years that we are all getting 3 to 4 times the salt we should have and
1/2 to 3/4 of the potassium. With that in mind I'm not going to add
salt to anything and I'm looking for potassium. That's just what seems
to be working for me, I feel great with that combination and less good
with water only.

Brian

Seems like a vicious circle in some ways: processed food is over-salted.
People put on weight. Their BP goes up. The doc prescribes a diuretic as
a mild BP reducer.
The diuretic promotes peeing. Peeing discards potassium.
So now they are Ka deficient.
The doc advises bananas - rich in Ka.
Bananas are fattening....
And so on.

:-)

Brian W
Old June 5th 10, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 19:59:00 -0500, brian whatcott wrote:

Martin Gregorie wrote:
/snip/
I'm a traditional imprecise chemist by training and have a teaspoon
that says its 5ml, so I'd just use a moderately heaped one and call
that 8 grams.

Uh? 5 ml is a volume measurew, and 8 grams are a mass measu the
property that connects those measures is density.

Indeed, and although I have a measuring spoon set that marks a teaspoon
as 5ml I'm unconvinced that all teaspoons are 5ml.

A chemist is just bound to know what material is likely to weigh about a
gram per milliliter, isn't he?

My point was that we're talking 'kitchen chemistry', i.e. cookery, here
not something that requires high precision measurements made with
analytical balances.

...And what material might way 8 gram for 5 milliliters.... :-)

Something with an SG of 1.6, obviously. Oddly enough, sugar has a density
of near as dammit 1.6 .....

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK
Old June 5th 10, 04:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Martin Gregorie[_5_]

On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 21:08:51 +0000, Martin Gregorie wrote:

Rather late in the day I followed up a hunch and found a UK source of The
Real Stuff (TM). At least one seller on eBay UK offers it at the 'Buy It
Now' price of £17.45 incl postage for two 521g jars of powdered Gatorade.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Slightly OT, How do birds fly IMC? Ricky Piloting 37 June 2nd 08 02:20 PM
Slightly related Denny Piloting 1 August 23rd 07 08:05 PM
slightly OT - NASA ER-2 Skywise Piloting 23 April 25th 06 12:36 AM
For Sale - Slightly Used AK-450 ELT Paul Remde Soaring 1 March 18th 06 01:13 PM
slightly off topic Rick Pellicciotti Home Built 0 March 15th 04 02:10 AM