why isn't there composite tube fuselage design?

Old February 15th 05, 02:05 AM
Shin Gou

Default why isn't there composite tube fuselage design?

I am just wondering...if composite materials are stronger and lighter
than steel, why composites tubes aren't glued together to form the
fuselage frame just like the traditional 4103 steel tubes being welded
together? Any reasons?

Shin Gou
Rans S-9
Warrenton, VA

Old February 15th 05, 03:00 AM
Rich S.

"Shin Gou" wrote in message
oups.com...
I am just wondering...if composite materials are stronger and lighter
than steel, why composites tubes aren't glued together to form the
fuselage frame just like the traditional 4103 steel tubes being welded
together? Any reasons?

They are. It's known as "wood". :-)

Rich S.

Old February 15th 05, 01:14 PM
kalfreds0412

I wonder how a direct comparison would fair. ie 1" OD .035" wall 4130 vs.
1" OD .035" carbon fiber? Has anyone ever seen a comparison like that?

Mike

oups.com...

Old February 15th 05, 03:37 PM
Shin Gou

looked around on the Internet and found Zivko's Leo Loudenslager
"Shark" plane's fuselage was constructed from carbon fiber tubes
bonded to titanium clusters with mag-alloy side fairings. Empty weight
950 lbs with a Lycoming IO-540 engine.

More information and background story at
http://www.zivko.com/EDGE/news/leo.html
There's a video clip for download at the bottom of the page. See how
the control surfaces move!!! Also a close-up look at the carbon fiber
tube fuselage. Impressive. Can't wait for its flight.

Old February 15th 05, 03:44 PM
Shin Gou

Now I think the conclusion of this carbon fiber tube fuselage
construction technique is: 1) it's lighter and at least as strong as
steel tube design. 2) it's more expensive than steel tube to build. 3)
it requires higher skills than steel tube welding to build. 4) this
method is not well proven in real flight (yet).

Old February 15th 05, 06:54 PM
Frank van der Hulst

Shin Gou wrote:
Now I think the conclusion of this carbon fiber tube fuselage
construction technique is: 1) it's lighter and at least as strong as
steel tube design. 2) it's more expensive than steel tube to build. 3)
it requires higher skills than steel tube welding to build. 4) this
method is not well proven in real flight (yet).

Not only that, you've got to ask yourself whether carbon fibre tube
fuselage construction would be better than what has become the standard
for composite construction -- monocoque, stressed-skin construction.

If you're using composites why limit yourself to 1" (or whatever)
diameter tubes and so on as per steel-tube-and-fabric? Why not build
large non-circular tubes, for example.

Frank
Old February 15th 05, 07:00 PM
LCT Paintball

Round is very strong. The only way you could improve on a simple round tube
for strength would be to add material in the direction that you needed more
strength, and take away material where the strength wasn't needed.

--
"Don't be misled, bad company corrupts good character."
www.LCTPaintball.com

Old February 15th 05, 08:29 PM
Evan Carew

Old February 15th 05, 09:25 PM
Morgans

"Shin Gou" wrote

There's a video clip for download at the bottom of the page. See how
the control surfaces move!!! Also a close-up look at the carbon fiber
tube fuselage. Impressive. Can't wait for its flight.

Interesting that the elevator travel for nose up is very limited, compared
to nose down's extreme. Wonder why?
--
Jim in NC