IFR Practical test requirements

Old January 25th 07, 05:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mark Hansen

Default IFR Practical test requirements

On 01/25/07 09:40, Kevin Clarke wrote:
Jim Macklin wrote:
They maybe gone from the PTS, but any good training course
will still include them.

I still did them (awhile ago now). I actually found them easier under
the hood then when doing my PPL. You just keep checking on the AI during
the scan and keep that picture the same. Rollout is the same under the
hood or not. Assuming you don't futz with the power or trim (which you
wouldn't do normally anyway).

KC

No trim? Hmmmm, I don't know about that. I was taught that adjusting the
trim is a great way to ease some of the burden of holding the back
pressure during the steep turn. I didn't do it until I practiced steep
turns under the hood, and found it made it much easier.

Of course, you have to remember to remove the trim when you roll out ;-)

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA
Old January 25th 07, 06:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Kevin Clarke

Jim Macklin wrote:
They maybe gone from the PTS, but any good training course
will still include them.

I still did them (awhile ago now). I actually found them easier under
the hood then when doing my PPL. You just keep checking on the AI during
the scan and keep that picture the same. Rollout is the same under the
hood or not. Assuming you don't futz with the power or trim (which you
wouldn't do normally anyway).

KC

No trim? Hmmmm, I don't know about that. I was taught that adjusting the
trim is a great way to ease some of the burden of holding the back
pressure during the steep turn. I didn't do it until I practiced steep
turns under the hood, and found it made it much easier.

after you are in the turn. Don't futz with the trim. Trim the **** out
of it as you enter the turn. You can go hands off if you do it right.
The plane will circle until you run out of gas!

KC
Old January 25th 07, 07:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mark Hansen

Jim Macklin wrote:
[...]

Well ... this is what I meant. Trim while you're rolling-in and again
while rolling-out.

Cal Aggie Flying Farmers
Sacramento, CA
Old January 25th 07, 07:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
B A R R Y[_2_]

Mark Hansen wrote:
On 01/25/07 09:40, Kevin Clarke wrote:

Assuming you don't futz with the power or trim (which you
wouldn't do normally anyway).

KC

No trim? Hmmmm, I don't know about that. I was taught that adjusting the
trim is a great way to ease some of the burden of holding the back
pressure during the steep turn.

I was taught to add a tick of power, as well as trimming.