commercial low-flight safety

Old January 28th 08, 10:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt[_2_]

Default commercial low-flight safety

"Gig 601XL Builder" wrote in message

yeah I can understand the situation.
Tight quarters, fast moving targets, beer. ; -]

Just like flying. Never drink until after.

Sad that it doesn't seem to go that way anymore.

My folks don't hunt anymore because they kept running into people's trash,
which almost always includes beer cans. Ironically, most recently they
found them on opening day, after bow-hunting season had just closed. So it
wasn't the rifle-hunters, but the bow so-called "sportsmen." Traditionally,
people might expect the opposite to be true.

Maybe in the old days kids received weapon safety training more commonly
(4-H, etc), so the values were instilled very early on. Nowadays I don't
think people receive a fraction of the exposure to weapons and hunting as
before.

'Course, that could be nostalgia.

-c

Old January 28th 08, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jan 28, 2:49*pm, "gatt" wrote:
"Gig 601XL Builder" wrote in message

Maybe in the old days kids received weapon safety training more commonly
(4-H, etc), so the values were instilled very early on. *Nowadays I don't
think people receive a fraction of the exposure to weapons and hunting as
before.

Boy scouts still has wonderful bow, rifle, and shotgun training. Most
summer camps have NRA/BSA certified instructors hosting training. In
my experiece the training at Boy Scouts camps is excellent.

-Robert
Old January 29th 08, 04:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

Interesting.
All the hunters I know feel the contrary. Shouldn't have happened. Simple
failure of firing discipline.

It was a mistake on the VP's part but yes bird hunting is much different
than hunting for larger mammals. The main thing is that you are seldom
ever doing to be swinging and firing at the same time when shooting at
deer not to mention there is usually no another hunter changing position
behind and beside you when you are hunting deer, elk etc...

Both of those things happen all the time when bird hunting.

I see it both ways, too. Mostly as a lack of gun discipline, though.

That said, there is nothing like walking through a field, with clumps of
grass and vegetation all around, you've seen nothing all day, but suddenly,
in amongst your buddies and all seemingly all around you, the air is full of
quail on the wing.

It has a tendency to: scare the crap out of you, confuse you, and not least
of all - make you think that surely all you have to do is pull the trigger,
and at least one bird will be brought down.

The last thing is what has to be avoided, and remembered at all times. You
only pull the trigger when you _know_ what you are pointed at, and that you
will bringing down a bird and nothing else.
--
Jim in NC

Old January 29th 08, 11:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Denny

If it is a federal/state flyway or hunting area then it is protected
against low flights... Better check with the DNR before going low...
Usually 1500 feet or more AGL is required...
If it is not a protected game area under federal or state regs then
basic open country FAA rules apply - 500 feet from buildings, people,
etc... It doesn't have to be 500 vertically, just 500 feet away...
If the ducks are present, then think about how you will handle taking
one through the windscreen, before screaming across the fields..
A bit of thinking it through ahead of time will save a lot of hassle
later...

denny
Old January 29th 08, 06:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Denny wrote:
If it is a federal/state flyway or hunting area then it is protected
against low flights... Better check with the DNR before going low...
Usually 1500 feet or more AGL is required...

I thought that the only agency that congress delegated regulation of the
U.S. national airspace was the FAA. That is, if there is a specific
prohibition of the nature you state, it will be in an FAA NOTAM or
otherwise noted on FAA official charts or in regulations. I don't recall
anywhere in any of the training material that I have that a pilot is
expected to check for NOTAMs from the DNR, or NOTAMs for the IRS, or ...
well, you get the idea I hope.

I may indeed be wrong, but if so I'd appreciate some cites.
Old January 29th 08, 06:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jan 29, 10:13*am, Jim Logajan wrote:
Denny wrote:
If it is a federal/state flyway or hunting area then it is protected
against low flights... Better check with the DNR before going low...
Usually 1500 feet or more AGL is required...

I thought that the only agency that congress delegated regulation of the
U.S. national airspace was the FAA. That is, if there is a specific
prohibition of the nature you state, it will be in an FAA NOTAM or
otherwise noted on FAA official charts or in regulations. I don't recall
anywhere in any of the trainin material that I have that a pilot is
expected to check for NOTAMs from the DNR, or NOTAMs for the IRS, or ...
well, you get the idea I hope.

I may indeed be wrong, but if so I'd appreciate some cites.

No regulations, just a note on the sectional saying that they request
pilots to avoid flight below 1500 feet for wildlife.

-Robert
Old January 29th 08, 08:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt[_2_]

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message

I may indeed be wrong, but if so I'd appreciate some cites.

No regulations, just a note on the sectional saying that they request
pilots to avoid flight below 1500 feet for wildlife.

They have a protected area along the Oregon coast and CFIs have mentioned
that the Coast Guard (or somebody) will report you if they catch you.

As for this particular location, I haven't determined what sort of zone it's
in yet but even if it's not hunting season I'll still be keeping an eye out
for wildlife. Keepin' the fowl out of the cowl.

If there are geese there, hopefully I'll scare the bejesus out of them.
It'll be payback for those squadrons that regularly appear on short final at
Troutdale. (And for what they did to the inside of my boat. Never leaved
a boat tied off in Oregon with an unsecured bag of pretzels on the seat!)

Guys out of Scappoose have been doing aerobatics over the Sauvie Island
wildlife refuge for years, so maybe I'll try to make a phone call over there
and see what they know about any local rules.

-c

Old January 29th 08, 09:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Jan 29, 12:05*pm, "gatt" wrote:
"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message

I may indeed be wrong, but if so I'd appreciate some cites.

No regulations, just a note on the sectional saying that they request
pilots to avoid flight below 1500 feet for wildlife.

They have a protected area along the Oregon coast and CFIs have mentioned
that the Coast Guard (or somebody) will report you if they catch you.

That's true. You'll probably get a call asking you to stop doing that.
However, they can't take any actual action against you because there
is no actual regulation violated. Of course, in the end its in our
interest to avoid irritating people with our airplanes else we may get
new regulations.

-Robert

Old February 1st 08, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dana M. Hague

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 10:08:37 -0800, "gatt"
wrote:

My question is, how low would -you- go for this sort of flight assuming the
birds aren't around and there aren't of Cheneys on the banks looking for
something in the air to shoot at?

As low as necessary, while maintaining the required 500' distance from
people on the surface and also staying within gliding distance of an
emergency landing spot. "Gliding distance" can include a zoom to
convert airspeed to altitude so keep your speed up while down low.

Of course, too low and you'll be moving to fast to see anything.

-Dana
If replying by email, please make the obvious changes.
A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in
human history... with the possible exception of handguns and tequila.

flight safety rules Fabio Aviation Photos 0 January 11th 08 11:02 PM
Ferry flight a commercial op? Paul Tomblin Piloting 69 November 16th 07 02:35 PM
Problems in a commercial flight megaMAX Piloting 92 March 23rd 07 09:45 AM
Flight Safety Jay Honeck Piloting 15 February 5th 07 10:23 PM
Nixon on Commercial Flight Flyin'[email protected] Piloting 1 June 16th 04 05:51 PM