Recognizing and reacting to tow plane engine failure

Old October 24th 14, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WAVEGURU

Default Recognizing and reacting to tow plane engine failure

Glider pilots and tow pilots have an iron-clad covenant that should be talked about, not just silently acknowledged: You do your very best not to kill me, and I'll do my very best not to kill you. Towing is a unique thing in aviation, it's serious business, and it needs to be constantly recognized as such.

I had a tow pilot get mad at me just the other month for doing a steering turn. He slammed the Pawnee over so hard I couldn't follow him and it broke the rope. My passenger was so freaked out he'll never fly again. When I talked to the tow pilot about it he admitted that it ****ed him off when I tried to steer him.

Boggs
Old October 24th 14, 05:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Carlyle

On Friday, October 24, 2014 12:43:25 PM UTC-4, Waveguru wrote:
Glider pilots and tow pilots have an iron-clad covenant that should be talked about, not just silently acknowledged: You do your very best not to kill me, and I'll do my very best not to kill you. Towing is a unique thing in aviation, it's serious business, and it needs to be constantly recognized as such.

I had a tow pilot get mad at me just the other month for doing a steering turn. He slammed the Pawnee over so hard I couldn't follow him and it broke the rope. My passenger was so freaked out he'll never fly again. When I talked to the tow pilot about it he admitted that it ****ed him off when I tried to steer him.

Boggs

Hmmmm - maybe you should pass the word around your airport so that particular tow pilot never flies again! At the least acquaint him with the mnemonic IMSAFE so he can run a check on himself. For non-US pilots it stands for Illness, Medication, Stress, Alcohol, Fatigue, and Emotion (on occasionally Eating, especially lack thereof).

-John, Q3
Old October 24th 14, 06:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
WAVEGURU

Hmmmm - maybe you should pass the word around your airport

From what I understand, ours is not the only airport around here where he is no longer welcome to fly either tug, or his ASW-28...

Boggs
Old October 24th 14, 09:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult[_2_]

On 2014-10-24 16:43:23 +0000, Waveguru said:

Glider pilots and tow pilots have an iron-clad covenant that should be
talked about, not just silently acknowledged: You do your very best
not to kill me, and I'll do my very best not to kill you. Towing is a
unique thing in aviation, it's serious business, and it needs to be
constantly recognized as such.

I had a tow pilot get mad at me just the other month for doing a
steering turn. He slammed the Pawnee over so hard I couldn't follow
him and it broke the rope. My passenger was so freaked out he'll never
fly again. When I talked to the tow pilot about it he admitted that it
****ed him off when I tried to steer him.
Boggs

Around here, if a tow pilot hits the stops on any control (including
rudder) then you're going to wear the rope.

If you want him to turn, use the radio.

Old October 25th 14, 04:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill T

We regularly review steering turns in the glider training program and talk it over with the tow pilots. We rarely use it in flight. Normally the glider pilots figure the tow knows where the lift is, or a destination for top of tow was coordinated before flight.

Engine failure, witnessed one. Stearman tow plane, the glider pilot saw a puff of smoke and the rope dropped from the tow in the next second. Glider ended up off field. The Stearman had popped the top off a jug and returned back to the field at minimum power.

I've had stuck valve vibrations in the Pawnee and held on to 300ft AGL and calmly directed the student solo pilot to "Release, release, release" and he did and returned to the field as did I.

Training and regular reviews.
BillT
Old October 25th 14, 11:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cookie

Soooo..when practicing "box the wake" one should expect there is a good possibility to be "given" the rope. ??

Cookie

Old October 25th 14, 11:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Cookie

When I used to do a lot of "scenic glider rides" many times the passenger would request to "fly over their house"..but the request was made once airborne...

Steering turns worked great for this!

Cookie

Old October 25th 14, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

We always brief that a student will box the wake above 1,000' AGL. We
also prebrief steering turns for training flights. Having said that,
I've steered the tug when he was a new tuggie and having radio
problems. No problems there.

Dan Marotta

Old October 25th 14, 04:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

On Friday, October 24, 2014 10:31:25 PM UTC-5, Bill T wrote:
Engine failure, witnessed one. Stearman tow plane, the glider pilot saw a puff of smoke and the rope dropped from the tow in the next second. Glider ended up off field.

Unless there are special circumstances (such as an aero retrieve), I would consider it bad practice to tow a glider out of gliding range of the departing airfield. And considering that most towplanes climb faster than gliders sink, unless you take the glider directly downwind or to the lee of a ridge, it isn't that hard.

Wave conditions, of course, may introduce variables (rotor, etc)...

Or the glider pilot may be somewhat lacking in skill...

Kirk
Old October 25th 14, 04:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Evan Ludeman[_4_]

On Friday, October 24, 2014 4:46:13 PM UTC-4, Bruce Hoult wrote:

Around here, if a tow pilot hits the stops on any control (including
rudder) then you're going to wear the rope.

Dumping the glider because the *rudder* hit the stop is way over the top. Someone needs to HTFU.

T8

failure of an auto engine Steve Hix[_2_] Piloting 0 November 26th 09 12:05 AM
AA Engine failure at LAX... .Blueskies. Piloting 3 June 13th 06 11:05 PM
engine failure swag Piloting 16 June 8th 06 06:13 PM
Engine failure Jase Vanover Piloting 59 October 30th 05 05:43 PM
In-Flight Engine Failure O. Sami Saydjari Owning 59 April 30th 04 08:40 AM