3 lives lost

Old January 19th 05, 04:29 AM
nobody

Default 3 lives lost

preliminary NTSB report is available for this accident.

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?e...14X00050&key=1

Old January 19th 05, 02:08 PM
Denny

Darwin award!

While we are on the topic of stupidity, did everyone notice that the
military managed to t-bone another GA plane yesterday, killing the GA
pilot, while the intrepid combat pilots parachuted to safety..

Denny

Old January 19th 05, 02:52 PM

Denny
Can't forget the Ag Cat that was run over, from behind, at about
200'agl in eastern WA state about 10 years ago. The military concluded
it was the ag pilots fault for being there. He was flying in an area
during normal ag flying operations, during the normal growing season,
doing what goes on every year at the same time and place...and yet the
military said he was in the wrong? I'm VERY PRO MILITARY but they were
flat wrong in that one as they are in many others vs general aviation.
I did ag flying in the Columbia Basin and often saw the military flying
on published routes doing what was advertised, and I also saw them
doing things that were outright hazardous and unthinking. Can't help
but think it was individuals, as PIC, who diverted from published
procedures. When you expect to see heavies low and not so slow...like
500'agl, I can live with it and avoid their operational zone with no
heartburn. When they drop down to 200'agl it concerns me as they depart
from published procedures and no warning to working slobs like me. I
ferry back and forth to my base at 200'agl.
Damned shame for all concerned when someone gets killed but even worse
when the military tries to cover it up and claim the genav pilot is to
blame.
Ol S&B

Old January 19th 05, 03:02 PM

Denny wrote:
Darwin award!

While we are on the topic of stupidity, did everyone notice that the
military managed to t-bone another GA plane yesterday, killing the GA
pilot, while the intrepid combat pilots parachuted to safety..

Denny

First off, they (the T-37 crew) were probably an instructor and a
student. Secondly, what would you have done, stayed in the airplane
and die? Did the accident happen in a MOA? On another board the GA
aircraft was noted as a crop duster and the accident occurred at 5000
feet. 5 grand is pretty high for a crop duster--maybe he wasn't used
to clearing for planes up high.

I'd say you're fairly competitive in the Darwin award race--you have my
vote.

Tim

Old January 19th 05, 05:13 PM
OtisWinslow

The plane was in an Alert area marked "Intensive Student Training" and it
was flying at 5000ft. It's on the map. Find out if it's hot before venturing
around in it. The military pilots were doing what they do in the area
reserved for them to do it in.

oups.com...

Old January 19th 05, 07:36 PM
houstondan

fwiw...my news (ap) had it as a new duster being ferried from the
factory to the customer; thus the 5k.

dan

Old January 19th 05, 08:36 PM
Jay Beckman

"OtisWinslow" wrote in message
The plane was in an Alert area marked "Intensive Student Training" and it
was flying at 5000ft. It's on the map. Find out if it's hot before
venturing
around in it. The military pilots were doing what they do in the area
reserved for them to do it in.

"Alert Areas" don't run Hot/Cold do they?

I thought they were there because of the *constant* volume of traffic and
they are "See and Avoid" for everyone?

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL
Chandler, AZ

Old January 19th 05, 08:38 PM
Michael

OtisWinslow wrote:
The plane was in an Alert area marked "Intensive Student Training"

and it
was flying at 5000ft. It's on the map. Find out if it's hot before

venturing
around in it.

In general, Alert Areas have no air-to-ground communication. There is
no effective way to know if it is hot.

Michael

Old January 19th 05, 08:44 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Jay Beckman wrote:

"Alert Areas" don't run Hot/Cold do they?

I thought they were there because of the *constant* volume of traffic and
they are "See and Avoid" for everyone?

That's my understanding.

George Patterson
The desire for safety stands against every great and noble enterprise.

3 lives lost Terry Owning 81 January 26th 05 05:39 PM
American nazi pond scum, version two bushite kills bushite Naval Aviation 0 December 21st 04 11:46 PM
Hey! What fun!! Let's let them kill ourselves!!! [email protected] Naval Aviation 2 December 17th 04 10:45 PM
Lost comms after radar vector Mike Ciholas Instrument Flight Rules 119 February 1st 04 12:39 AM
Soviet Submarines Losses - WWII Mike Yared Military Aviation 4 October 30th 03 04:09 AM