My friend is gone

Old November 24th 03, 08:33 PM
lifespeed

"Yosimite Sam" wrote in message news:a46wb.286512$Fm2.295412@attbi_s04...
Today, while cutting my panel for the intercom, my little pal, Mr. Dremel
coughed a puff of smoke and the RPM's quickly bled off and the cutting blade
came to a final stop. 8 years old and nearly two Kitfoxes complete. By far,
the most valuable and most used tool. I can just hope that my life will be
as productive as Mr. Dremels' has been.

Not to disturb your reverie or anything, but Mr. Dremel has a weak
motor. I managed to smoke mine when I put some torque to it.

Anyway, I would highly suggest investigating Black & Decker's "Dremel
tool" which has a more durable and powerful motor/controller. If you
liked the old Mr. Dremel, you're gonna love what Black & Decker has
done to it.

- Lifespeed
Old November 24th 03, 10:24 PM
Roger Halstead

On Sun, 23 Nov 2003 17:25:26 GMT, "Yosimite Sam"
wrote:

Today, while cutting my panel for the intercom, my little pal, Mr. Dremel
coughed a puff of smoke and the RPM's quickly bled off and the cutting blade
came to a final stop. 8 years old and nearly two Kitfoxes complete. By far,
the most valuable and most used tool. I can just hope that my life will be
as productive as Mr. Dremels' has been.

You treat Mr Dremel far more gently than I.
Mine (I have 2) are usually full of fiberglass and resin dust, or wood
dust, or concrete dust... The last time I blew out the one (shop vac
on one end and 90# air on the other, I think it had to be making that
dust as there wasn't room enough in there for that much.

Typically when cutting or grinding I find that I have the ventilation
openings covered with my gloves. I'm usually reminded of this by the
smell of hot wire insulation....I find them to be tough little buggers
even if they are short lived, but one living through two airplanes,
let alone one? You sure the tooth fairy hasn't been slipping in a new
Mr Dremel now and then?

When I built my tower, I went through one of the big 5/8ths inch
hammer drills drilling out half inch thick 4" I-beams ... The first
drill motor lasted all of 10 minutes. I noticed the loss in power the
same time I saw the smoke coming out the vents, flash into flame.
Then I realized it must have been complaining for a while as there was
a *lot* of smoke in the back yard. Wish I had a photo of that thing
going. Phew, but that thing stunk!

I took it back (I'd just brought it home) and asked for a bigger one.
They Opened the case and closed it quickly. The motor was still hot
and really smellin'. It was the biggest one they sold. They gave me a
new one, no questions asked. Course it hadn't been over an hour since
I purchased it. Soooo...I took it a bit easier on the second one,
although it did "blow smoke" a couple times.

You'll have to fix the return add due to virus checkers, not spam
(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair?)
www.rogerhalstead.com
Old November 25th 03, 01:22 AM
Jim Austin

--
Yosimite Sam

Based on my previous experience with them, if you contact Dremel
directly, you can send it back to Dremel for "repair" for a flat rate
cost which will be about 1/2 the current cost of the latest model. They
will then send you a new latest model.

Jim Austin

Old November 25th 03, 04:11 AM
RobertR237

In article , Del Rawlins
writes:

I had a brand new one which ran for about 10 seconds out of the box, and
then died due to a faulty switch.

Not counting defective part failures, I have a tough time seeing how I
could possibly wear mine out, as little use as it sees. For the things
I use it for, nothing else will really do but otherwise it often doesn't
come out of the toolbox for months at a time. I believe that if you
find yourself using a dremel tool that much you need to consider buying
some real tools (i.e. bigger grinders) since the dremel isn't really
suited for continuous use. Not to mention the extra time spent since
using the dremel is slow compared to a larger grinder or cut off tool.

I have a pair of 1/4" electric die grinders (one I bought, then got
another for christmas) each with a different bit, a couple of angle
grinders, a 3" cut off tool in addition to my normal bandsaw, hacksaw,
and bench grinder/sander. If none of those will do the job, only then
does the Dremel come out.

That would depend on what you are using it for. It is the greatest and most
used single tool I have used on building my fiberglass aircraft. With a little
practice you can literally use it to remove one layer of paint at a time. I
use it mainly to remove excess glass and trim sharp edges. Larger grinders are
useless for what I have used it for.

Bob Reed

"Ladies and Gentlemen, take my advice,
(M.A.S.H. Sidney Freedman)

Old November 25th 03, 02:59 PM
dann mann

Sell it on ebay. Buy a new one.

Old November 26th 03, 12:21 AM
Roger Halstead

On 25 Nov 2003 04:11:04 GMT, osite (RobertR237)
wrote:

In article , Del Rawlins
writes:

[...]

I use one with a 90 degree attachment and/or extension/flexible cable
while the second one is just used straight.

I particularly like to use the "cut off" wheel for trimming. It's
almost like sculpting. I used it along the flat, or at a steep angle
to just take off the high spots, but as you say, you can actually work
your way through a layer at a time.

It's also a good way to trim off any "drips" that get missed at clean
up time. I also use them to trim edges that didn't get trimmed well
when the cloth was in the green state.

As I usually finish up around 3 or 4 AM, there is not way I'm going to
sleep for two hours and then trim. I'd be dangerous and probably make
some really expensive mistakes. It takes me an hour to wake normally
after a nights sleep. Imagine what I'd be like after 2 hours?

They are faster and simpler to use than even the detail sanders, but
they do take a bit of practice to prevent removing a *lot* more than
desired. :-))

I even use them to make cut outs such as the wing and tail openings,
or openings in the firewall...etc...

They are one handy gadget.

You'll have to fix the return add due to dumb virus checkers, not spam

Old November 26th 03, 12:22 AM
Roger Halstead

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 01:22:23 GMT, Jim Austin
wrote:

Yosimite Sam wrote:
Today, while cutting my panel for the intercom, my little pal, Mr. Dremel
coughed a puff of smoke and the RPM's quickly bled off and the cutting blade
came to a final stop. 8 years old and nearly two Kitfoxes complete. By far,
the most valuable and most used tool. I can just hope that my life will be
as productive as Mr. Dremels' has been.

--
Yosimite Sam

Based on my previous experience with them, if you contact Dremel
directly, you can send it back to Dremel for "repair" for a flat rate
cost which will be about 1/2 the current cost of the latest model. They
will then send you a new latest model.

Kinda like when I dropped my Garmin 195. Sent it in and a new one
came back...Flat rate.

Old February 20th 04, 01:50 AM
Morgans

"Yosimite Sam" wrote in message
Today, while cutting my panel for the intercom, my little pal, Mr. Dremel
coughed a puff of smoke and the RPM's quickly bled off and the cutting

blade
came to a final stop. 8 years old and nearly two Kitfoxes complete. By

far,
the most valuable and most used tool. I can just hope that my life will be
as productive as Mr. Dremels' has been.

--
Yosimite Sam

I always wonder what I have been doing wrong with mine. I have gone through
two, with relativly little run time on them. The one I have now is nearly
unuseable, because the variable speed switch is very intermitent. The
bearings in both were sh*t. I will not buy another.
--
Jim in NC

---

Old February 22nd 04, 05:27 AM
John

I have had the same Dremel tool for over 20 years. It is on its
second or third set of bearings however. The thing that you have to
remember is that you cannot push an electric motor like you can an air
tool. It is very easy to overload an Dremel tool since it is a VERY
small motor. An air too that is pushed into overload will stop with
no damage while an overloaded electric motor will let out the magic
smoke that can not be put back in except by application of lots of
green paper with the photo's of dead presidents on them.

John