Anyone flown a SHK-1?

Old May 20th 17, 03:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Anyone flown a SHK-1?

What was the cockpit like? Roomy or constrained compared to k6e? How does it handle turbulence? What are your general opinions? Thanks for your time and thoughts!

-Nick
Old May 20th 17, 03:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams

On Friday, May 19, 2017 at 9:13:25 PM UTC-5, wrote:
What was the cockpit like? Roomy or constrained compared to k6e? How does it handle turbulence? What are your general opinions? Thanks for your time and thoughts!

-Nick

I restored and flew #49 over a period from 2007-2015,
First there are two different cockpit sizes, earlier ones are almost three inches shorter than the later ones, which makes a big difference if you are tall. I'm 6'2" and was comfortable with a strong 303 and a ventus style seat back. My SHK had the longer cockpit. the original "sling" seat back was uncomfortable without a lumbar pillow. I was a low time pilot with less than 15 flights in a 1-26 as my only single seater time.
I have since been flying a std cirrus. for comparison, The SHK is able to climb in the weakest conditions and thermals very well, the controls I thought were responsive and the roll rate was good, but it is a 17 meter wingspan. control layout was good and I could reach the panel while belted in.
The airbrakes work well, but full airbrakes do not yield 2-33 sink rates.
The ship slips well and adds to sink rate. I never tried to use the drogue parachute.
In retrospect, had I not allowed my personal mass to exceed the allowable, I would have been happy to continue flying the SHK.
In turbulence I think the SHK seemed similar in 'ride quality' to a std Cirrus.
Control authority was always good.
Sorry, Never sat in a K6E.
Cheers,
Scott W.
Old May 20th 17, 07:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I'm currently looking to purchase and restore a 1966 model. What kind of technical documentation did you use for your restoration/airworthiness validation? The current owner doesn't own much for technical pubs or manuals. He was fluent on the original Austria and just transferred said proficiency over to SHK regarding rigging, limitations, maintenance and inspections. Do you know of any good resources for this particular aircraft?
Old May 20th 17, 11:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I now own the SHK that Scott Williams restored. I have also owned and flown an SH -1 and a K 6E. The longer cockpits of the Later serial number SH-1 and SHK are very comfortable for tall pilots. The K6E is cramped by comparison. The SHK will climb very well and handles well. The K6E is one of the nicest handling gliders ever built and performs well for its vintage. Compare sports class handicap numbers for the SHK and K6E. Scott Williams built a custom trailer for the SHK and his restoration is probably the nicest SHK in the U.S. He made a Utube video"Winch Launching thw SHK" worth viewing. I do have his documentation, factory drawings, spare parts, etc

What specifically are you wanting?
Old May 21st 17, 03:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Do you have a flight and maintenance manual? Do you have anything detailing the proper rigging? I'm trying to get some concrete data to better assure that it is airworthy per the designers intentions all the way back when they designed it. I'm trying to avoid rigging and maintaining it by the process of best guess. Do you fly yours often? I've seen that YouTube video...amazing looking aircraft! It's a shame more aren't around. I'm 5, 10" by the way. Do you think I'd fit comfortably?
Old May 21st 17, 03:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Friesen

On Saturday, May 20, 2017 at 7:00:09 PM UTC-7, wrote:
Do you have a flight and maintenance manual? Do you have anything detailing the proper rigging?

I own a Standard Austria S, was relieved of my documents by a break and enter thief. Schempp-Hirth provided a replacement Flight and Service Manual for a fee of 50 euros. That manual does have some key rigging data; a good start at least.

I'm 5, 10" by the way. Do you think I'd fit comfortably?

I am 5' 11", with long legs and short back. I gather I have the 'short' cockpit, and fit fine. I am glad my back is not longer, but legroom is not an issue. Numerous 8 hour flights, comfortably.

My Scarlet Lady has flown a lot - and will again this year if the field dries out! Yes, let's keep the Austrias in the air where they belong. I can't count the number of times other pilots have announced their adjacency by saying "looking pretty up there".

Bruce
Old May 21st 17, 04:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Old May 21st 17, 05:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I emailed Schempp Hirth and was informed that they no longer support this model. For 100 euros you can get a disk that contains scanned images of the component and major assembly drawings. I'd have to purchase (which I plan to do) to validate what comes on the disk. That being said I'm kind of hoping to develop a more concrete resource. i love hearing from you guys that have flown or own...it's such a rare aircraft and I appreciate your input!

-Nick
Old May 21st 17, 07:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
LongJourney

On Saturday, May 20, 2017 at 11:24:43 PM UTC-5, wrote:
I emailed Schempp Hirth and was informed that they no longer support this model. For 100 euros you can get a disk that contains scanned images of the component and major assembly drawings. I'd have to purchase (which I plan to do) to validate what comes on the disk. That being said I'm kind of hoping to develop a more concrete resource. i love hearing from you guys that have flown or own...it's such a rare aircraft and I appreciate your input!

-Nick

Hi, Nick. I'm surprised that SH is asking 100 Euros for the SHK disk now. They sent me one for free last year. I shared these drawings with several others using Google Drive, I believe. I can do the same for you, if you'd like.

I'm currently refurbishing an Austria S.

Jeff
Old May 21st 17, 10:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Oliver

I flew one for many years. 1000 hrs+ Can't add anything on the technical
side but what I would say is that it remains fantastic value for money.
Make sure you get or make good rigging aids, a root trestle at rigging
height and a tip trestle along with a wing dolly at the root end and I
could easily rig mine single handed without any lifting of the wings.

Flew at least 8 flights over 500k here in the UK longest was 564k. Climbs
beautifully on the early thermals so could leave early in the mornings.
Longest flight time was over 8 hours and never found any discomfort in the
cockpit. I'm just under 6'0.

Brakes are weak if you have no headwind but a tip I was given (which goes
against all training)! was that if seriously too high IN NO WIND conditions
and NO TURBULENCE you can open the brakes and raise the nose to take it to
the back of the drag curve. It comes down smoothly and rapidly. When back
to the correct angle lower the nose and complete approach as normal. It
works. I'll bet people will want to come on here who have never flown one
and say different but try it at altutude first. I could even do this whilst
playing with the rudder and it showed no tendency to drop a wing.

Lovely glider, sometimes I regret moving on.