The Christmas Engine

Old December 29th 08, 09:09 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default The Christmas Engine

To All:

Christmas sometimes brings a call from a homebuilder who has read one
of my
articles or seen an ad in an old magazine and is convinced I'm the
best person
to build an engine for their Dream Machine. For the last twenty years
I've
always told them ‘no.'

I usta build engines for sale; had an ad in ‘Sport Aviation,' went to
all the
airshows. Waste of time, pretty much. I put the prop on the wrong end
and do a
lot of modifications others say aren't needed. Plus, my engines were
never as
powerful as the ones built by the other guys. But they seemed to hold
up
rather well.

This year the call came on Monday, 23 December 2002. The fellow
wanted a
simple engine, a plain vanilla sixty horsepower powerplant based on VW
components. He wanted direct drive; in fact, he'd already bought the
propeller. To keep down the cost and make it easy to overhaul, he
wanted it to
use the standard 69mm crankshaft and 85.5mm jugs. It was for a Texas
Parasol
and there are several flying with exactly that engine, which has a
displacement
of 1600cc.

The call represented a major decision on his part. Months of thought
and
careful savings had culminated in this Christmas Present to himself.
I could
hear the disappointment in his voice when I told him I'm too busy
right now. I
suggested he contact someone else. But he was insistent, willing to
wait until
I wasn't too busy. His disappointment became tinged with anger when
he
realized I simply didn't want to build him an engine. I've a hunch he
thought
I was trying to jack up the price; you could feel the tension mount as
the
silence grew. Finally, I told him I don't know how to build a sixty
horsepower
1600cc engine. Perhaps someone else could but I can't get that much
power out
of 96 cubic inches when there's a prop on the crankshaft. His anger
vanished,
replaced by confusion. How much power COULD I get?

"Maybe thirty-five, forty... somewhere in there."

Now he sounded amazed. Clearly, there was no secret to getting lots
of power
from a VW engine. He started to rattle off horsepower figures from
several
other engine builders until I stopped him.

"I guess I'm just not as good a mechanic as those other guys," I
said. He
thought about that for a moment then wished me a merry Christmas and
rang off.

In a way he was right. There's no secret to getting lots of power
from an
internal combustion engine. Sir Harry Ricardo literally wrote the
book on it
shortly after World War I. Since then the only things that are truly
new are
thermal barrier coatings and some improvements in metallurgy, the
basic
principles - and the equations defining them - remain unchanged.
Using those
principles I've built VW-based engines that pulled over 200hp on the
dyno, good
enough to see low twelves on the drag strip.

The problem I have here is that you've got to spin a 1600cc engine
nearly five
thousand rpm to see an output of sixty horsepower. And you can only
do that
for about a minute before the CHT runs into the red and you have to
let it cool
down for half an hour or so before you do another pull. Fitted with a
blower,
tightly shrouded, and installed in a car, you can get away with
calling it a
sixty horsepower engine. But a car engine isn't an airplane engine.

The reality of airplane engines is conversion of torque into thrust.
You may
insert horsepower into that equation if you wish but it serves no
practical
purpose. When the task is generating thrust using a fan bolted
directly to the
crankshaft, torque is the critical factor.

For an internal combustion engine, particularly a carburetted Otto-
cycle
engine, maximum torque occurs at the point of maximum volumetric
efficiency.
You can fiddle with the cam and induction system ‘til the cows come
home
trying to improve the VE but with a displacement of only 96 cubic
inches,
normal aspiration and a compression ratio you can live with, lighting
the fire
is going to give you a certain quanta of heat and that's going to
raise the
pressure in the combustion chamber to a certain level and it's that
pressure -
you may call it BMEP if you wish - that turns the crankshaft. For a
1600cc
engine and that particular set of conditions, you're never going to
see more
than about 80 lb-ft of torque. And at a fairly low rpm too, which
ain't all
that bad because props are more efficient at lower speeds. (When the
object is
to produce thrust, if you're honest the bottom line has to include the
propeller's efficiency factor.)

Eighty ft-lbs of torque at prop speed is closer to 40 horsepower than
sixty.
But even that level of output will quickly exceed the thermal
limitations of
the Volkswagen's heads, assuming a standard atmosphere and a cooling-
air
pressure differential equal to six inches of water, about all you
manage in a
tumbleweed like the Texas Parasol. Exceeding the thermal limits
doesn't mean
the thing will explode but it does mean your MTBO takes a header into
the
porcelain fixture, forcing you to top the valves every fifty or one
hundred
hours. Not my idea of a durable engine.

The situation is even worse if the caller wants me to build him one of
those
100hp VW engines he's heard about. Sorry, Charlie. I simply don't
know how.
Unless you want to compare apples to oranges. Or dune buggies to
airplanes.

Remember the Continental A40? (Even flown a Piper E-2? :-) The A40's
displacement is 112 cubic inches, about the same as an 1834cc VW
conversion.
The A40 produced about 90 lb-ft of torque at about 2000 rpm for a TBO
of 200
hours. (I'm pulling this out of the memory bank so you'll have to
work with me
here.)

A standard equation for computing horsepower is to multiply the torque
in
ft-lbs times the RPM and divide the result by 5252, which is sometimes
called
the ‘winding constant,' as if the torque were acting through a lever a
foot
long for a full minute. 90 times 2000, divided by 5252 equals 34.3
horsepower.
Which sez I've mis-remembered something because the A40 was rated at
37hp.
But you get the idea.

Ditto for the A65. Max torque was something like 145 lb-ft at 2400
rpm. From
a displacement of 171 cubic inches. (I'll let you do the math :-)

See that 2180cc VW hanging on the test stand out behind the shop?
That's my
Hangar Queen. Since 1968 or thereabouts she's racked up better than
fifteen
hundred noisy hours testing everything you've ever heard of and a lot
that you
haven't. (I've torn-down the poor thing so many times I've lost
track.) See
that box of wiggle sticks over there in the corner? Dig around,
you'll find
stock VW cams along with several from Engle, Web and Schneider, both
solids
and juicers, even a couple of special grinds I worked up myself, all
chuggers
designed to give maximum torque across an RPM practical for a
propeller. Forty
years of VW engine building experience, nearly two thousand hours of
testing -
enough gasoline to float a boat - and the best I can do is about 115
lb-ft of
torque out of that thing. That's about 55hp. At prop speeds. Not
like all those other guys.

Of course, those hours of testing are comparing apples to apples. Or
rather,
torque to torque. And at speeds suitable for slinging a prop
efficiently. On
that basis I think it's fair to say I've managed to do about as well
as
Continental or Lycoming when it comes to the power output of a small
air-cooled
engine. The 2180, which is about 133cid, produces about 115 lb-ft of
torque.
The A65's 171 cubic inches cranked out about 145, the A40's 112 cubes
managed
about 90. And I've gotten as much as 80 ft-lbs out of a sorta-stock
1600
turning about 2600 rpm. But I've obviously got a long way to go to
catch up
to those other VW engine builders. Based on their published figures
volumetric
efficiencies regularly exceed 100%, specific fuel consumption on the
order of
three tenths of a pound per horsepower-hour is not uncommon and
pulling nearly
one horsepower per cubic inch for a TBO of 1500 hours is old hat.
Truly
incredible engines.

No one in their right mind would buy a forty horse engine when they
can buy a
sixty horse that weighs and costs the same. Which is why I no longer
build
engines for sale.

Given the nature of this Newsgroup I'm sure some will detect a hint of
sour
grapes in the message above. ( And they may be right. :-) But in
doing so
they will miss the point entirely. The key to powered flight is the
powerplant. Ready availability of an inexpensive, reliable engine
could play a
vital role in arresting the decline of General Aviation in America,
whereas
fallacious claims of power or performance does exactly the opposite.

Such an engine has been available for more than a quarter of a century
and a
number of airframes have been designed around it. Designs based on
the
engine's actual output and durability have proven successful, those
based on
it's fallacies have not.

-R.S.Hoover
Old December 30th 08, 03:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

As an active builder of a Jodel D-18,designed around the VW ,I have
some questions ,if you don't mind.
It would seem they fly fine on 40-50hp,maybe less in Great Britain
where they restrict revs.Some are promoting the type IV as a more
reliable choice. What hp do you believe the type IV can produce,using
your given reliability constraints? Could you estimate the installed
weight differences between the installations? And,lastly, which would
you feel more comfortable behind?

John G

Old December 31st 08, 12:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Dec 30, 7:00*am, wrote:
which would
you feel more comfortable behind?

Either, assuming I had done the conversion.

What hp do you believe the type IV can produce,using
your given reliability constraints?

My T-4 experience is limited and I'd prefer not to guess. Any talk of
'Horsepower' would have to be based on verified, reproducible figures
from a torque stand.
As for my 'reliability constraints' there's really only two: The
modifications done to the lubrication system being the one and
attaching the prop to the clutch-end of the crankshaft being the
other.

The interesting point here is that the Type 4 engine already has the
lubrication mods BUILT-IN... indeed, ALL modern engines do. As for
driving a propeller from the pulley-hub of a crankshaft, this was a
post-war expedient which worked fine up to about 25bhp but became a
constant source of trouble -- and of increasingly complex and costly
'fixes' from that day to this, when in fact the best solution is to
simply do what is done with ALL OTHER engine conversions and put the
prop on the clutch-end of the crankshaft, which certainly makes more
sense in that the Type4 uses a flanged crankshaft .

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Could you estimate the installed
weight differences *between the installations?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

An honest figure is probably about thirty pounds.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Type IV is the only truly modern air-cooled engine Volkswagen has
every produced. In doing so they drew heavily from the Corvair. Some
aspects were better than the Corvair; a few were worse (such as the
valve seats) but on the whole the 1700 and it's follow-on's (ie, 1800
and 2000) offered the homebuilder a rare opportunity. Alas, due to
the untimely death of the CEO the company fell into the hands of the
bean-counters and the moment was missed, relegating the Type IV to a
minor role and continuing to slap patches onto the Type I despite the
myriad flags of warning that it's day had long since passed.

If you happen to have a Type IV -- and a tame machinist with a heavy
background in converting auto engines for flight, in my opinion you'd
be wise to consider using it in your Jodel.

-R.S.Hoover