Meeting A Goose at 11,000 Ft.

Old December 27th 08, 02:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Monk

Default Meeting A Goose at 11,000 Ft.

On Dec 25, 4:49*pm, "Anyolmouse" wrote:
"Monk" wrote in message

On Dec 25, 9:08 am, "Anyolmouse" wrote: "Monk" wrote in message

... | I just received these images from a fellow pilot. Good thing there
| wasn't a copilot in that seat.
|
| "Yikes! Meeting a goose at 11,000 ft. And 185 kts can ruin your

whole
| day."
|

|http://co120w.col120.mail.live.com/a...px?tnail=0&mes...
.0|8CB2EEC85F0D880| |
|http://tinyurl.com/7kpav3
|

|http://co120w.col120.mail.live.com/a...px?tnail=1&mes...
.0|8CB2EEC85F0D880| |
|http://tinyurl.com/7hb8ps
|

|http://co120w.col120.mail.live.com/a...px?tnail=2&mes...
.0|8CB2EEC85F0D880|

|http://tinyurl.com/7zx4v4

There was a goose strike several years back in OKC where the
co-pilot/passenger was killed. I think it was a C-310 making a high
speed descent into Wiley Post. There were some pictures in the

newspaper
showing the goose remains strung out in the back seat and of the
windscreen damage. Anybody else recall this with maybe more details?

--
Anyolmouse

I would be interested in more info on this.

Monk

I have been searching for it and haven't had any luck so far. This site
is interesting:http://www.birdstrike.org/In the blue column on the
left side click on "significant bird strike events and also the FAA-USDA
report below it. The Top ten Bird Strke Myths is interesting too. The
highest known strike occurred at 37,000 feet.

--
Anyolmouse

Thanks for the link.

Monk
Old December 28th 08, 05:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dan[_12_]

"Monk" wrote in message

| I just received these images from a fellow pilot. Good thing there
| wasn't a copilot in that seat.
|
| "Yikes! Meeting a goose at 11,000 ft. And 185 kts can ruin your

whole
| day."
|

|http://co120w.col120.mail.live.com/a...px?tnail=0&mes..
.0|8CB2EEC85F0D880|

|http://tinyurl.com/7kpav3
|

|http://co120w.col120.mail.live.com/a...px?tnail=1&mes..
.0|8CB2EEC85F0D880|

|http://tinyurl.com/7hb8ps
|

|http://co120w.col120.mail.live.com/a...px?tnail=2&mes..
.0|8CB2EEC85F0D880|

|http://tinyurl.com/7zx4v4

There was a goose strike several years back in OKC where the
co-pilot/passenger was killed. I think it was a C-310 making a high
speed descent into Wiley Post. There were some pictures in the

newspaper
showing the goose remains strung out in the back seat and of the
windscreen damage. Anybody else recall this with maybe more details?

--
Anyolmouse

I would be interested in more info on this.

Monk

I have been searching for it and haven't had any luck so far. This site
is interesting: http://www.birdstrike.org/ In the blue column on the
left side click on "significant bird strike events and also the FAA-USDA
report below it. The Top ten Bird Strke Myths is interesting too. The
highest known strike occurred at 37,000 feet.

I can't address that particular strike, but I do recall one in Turkey
where the leading edges of both wings of a C-130 had dings from flying
into a flock of small birds. If memory serves, this was in the 1979 time
frame, there was a total of 7 dings. Within a few days of the C-130
event one of the F-4E in my unit took a similar bird on the top of the
nose about a foot in front of the wind screen. It penetrated into the
aircraft. I no longer recall the total damage.

In Spain we had condors to contend with. We lost the head off an F-4E
pave spike laser designator pod from a condor strike. After removing the
pod we had to remove its rack. The poor girl who did it was covered in
bird parts.

Another condor strike, also F-4E, resulted in the airplane being
shipped back to Germany a year later for serious structural repair. The
bird got cut into two big parts by the leading edge of the left
variramp. One part tore the side of the intake a few feet in and tore
the CSD dome on the engine as well as FODding out the engine itself. The
other part entered the rear cockpit damaging all kinds of wiring. The
left wing tank was punched off, but the right one couldn't be
jettisoned. It was summer, so you can imagine what the rear cockpit
smelled like the next day.

An interesting aside here is all bird parts from strikes were sent to
Warner-Robbins in plastic bags. I guess some GM 9 zillion had to certify
it was a bird and not a cow or something.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Old December 28th 08, 06:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Richard[_8_]

There is also a story about General Charles Yeager intentionally
whacking a duck with a Beech D-18 wingtip.

It's in his book, anyway.
Old December 29th 08, 06:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Barnyard BOb

*************************************
Man, I sure wish people would read on in the thread, before they jump down
somebody's throat. Especially commenting on a post that was made several
days ago.

For the very last time, I _thought_ I was in the _ _ _ alt.binaries_ _ _
.pictures.aviation group.

My mistake.

Sheesh.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

AND....
a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you, too.

* SHEESH! *

- Barnyard BOb -

The more people I meet,
the more I like my dog...
and George Carlin Humor

Old December 29th 08, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"Barnyard BOb" wrote

AND....
a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you, too.

* SHEESH! *

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

BoB, for you, I'll break my rule against doing this for mean old farts,
so...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you, also!

:-)
--
Jim in NC

Old December 31st 08, 06:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Frank Olson

Richard wrote:
There is also a story about General Charles Yeager intentionally
whacking a duck with a Beech D-18 wingtip.

It's in his book, anyway.

A Cessna Citation 1 flew through a flock of starlings on final into
Vancouver (YVR) several years ago. Flamed-out both engines (AC was on
short final so he still managed to "plant" it on the numbers and coast
to a stop). The leading edges of the wings and empennage were "coated"
in goo and both engines required a major overhaul. Not to mention the
"smell" in the cabin... Yechh!

Meeting A Goose at 11,000 Ft. Monk Piloting 32 December 31st 08 06:10 AM
Meeting an Ace Jay Honeck Piloting 8 April 7th 06 08:44 PM
Goose at FL 360???? A Lieberman Piloting 49 November 15th 05 12:08 AM
Spurce Goose Airborne Simulators 10 March 29th 05 07:03 AM
Spurce Goose Ace Simulators 1 March 2nd 05 09:19 PM