Stealth Pilot & AK yeller Cedar

Old December 31st 08, 03:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
jerry wass

Default Stealth Pilot & AK yeller Cedar

You lucky sob---You mean you can buy AK Yellow Cedar 2X6's from a local
store???

That's the bestist wood they is!! Jest compare it straight across the
pages of Forest Product's handbook on wood!!!

10% stronger, in every respect, also 10% heavier, but jes build it 10%
smaller.

I wuz in lumber bus. in small town in OKla.--went to the big City to
Screen Door mfg plant--(before Aluminium Storm doors)---
They were buying RR cars of AK yel Cedar in 5/4" thk & random widths
& lengths---most of it 10-16" wide 16-20 " long BEAUTIFUL boards,
fine grain--bought me a bunch & framed up an airboat.. Looks like soft
white pine 'till you wet it ,or varnish it, then you get the beautiful
pale yellow color---Oh yeah, then I built a buncha OrganPipe boxes out
of it.

Good ole Daze
Jerry
Old January 3rd 09, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Stealth Pilot[_2_]

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 15:58:51 GMT, Jerry Wass
wrote:

[...]

clear straight grained AYC is quite rare in my supply. usually it has
a bazillion knots in it. I select from the planks in about 5 stores
when I'm chasing it. often I can get just a quarter of the board knot
free with straight grain. this stuff is incredibly slow growing. often
I find 50 rings per inch.

from my research the only reason it wasnt selected as the wood of
choice over spruce is that you can get much longer knot free lengths
more easily in spruce.

in western australia there is an importer that has AYC as one of their
specialty timbers. I gather Bunnings buy it from them.

luck is where you search it out.
Stealth Pilot