wiring

Old January 2nd 09, 03:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
jerry wass

Default wiring

G Landing Gear
GA Actuator
GB Retraction
GC Warning Device (Horn)
GD Light Switches
GE Indicator Lights

H Heating, Ventilating and Deicing
HA Anti-Ice
HB Cabin Heater
HC Cigar Lighter
HD De-Ice
HE Air Conditioner
HF Cabin Ventilation

J Ignition
JA Magneto

K Engine Control
KA Starter Control
KB Prop Sync.

L Lighting
LA Cabin
LB Instrument
LC Landing
LD Navigation
LE Taxi
LF Rotating Beacon
LG Radio
LH De-Ice
LJ Fuel Selector
LK Tail Flood

M Miscellaneous
MA Cowl Flap
MB Electrically Operated Seats
MC Smoke Generator
MD Spray Equipment
ME Cabin Pressurization Equip.
MF Chem. O2 Ind.

P Power
PA Battery Circuit
PB Generator Circuits
PC External Power

Q Fuel & Oil
QA Aux Fuel Pump
QB Oil Dilution
QC Engine Primer
QD Main Fuel Pumps
QE Fuel Valves

R Radio (Nav & Comm)
RA Instrument Landing
RB Command
RC Radio Direction Finding
RD VHF
RE Homing
RF Marker Beacon
RG Navigation
RH HF
RJ Interphone
RK UHF
RL LF
RM FM
RP Audio System and Amp
RR DME
RS Public Address

S Radar

U Misc Electronic
UA IFF (xpndr)

W Warning and Emergency
WA Flare Release
WB Chip Detector
WC Fire Detection System

X AC Power

Well, that wasn't so hard--Jerry
Old January 2nd 09, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

"Jerry Wass" wrote in message
.. .
G Landing Gear
GA Actuator
GB Retraction
GC Warning Device (Horn)
GD Light Switches
GE Indicator Lights

----------much snipped for brevity----------
S Radar

U Misc Electronic
UA IFF (xpndr)

W Warning and Emergency
WA Flare Release
WB Chip Detector
WC Fire Detection System

X AC Power

Well, that wasn't so hard--Jerry

This appears to be from an older military aircraft, but there are lists
available. Two pretty good places to start are ATA Spec 2200 (which
includes ATA Spec 100) and AC 43.13 1B. The FAA Advisory circular is
available for free download, but is nearly 700 pages and, if you are
actually building something, you would do well to purchase the hard copy
version form the Government Printing Office! By the way, the same advisory
circular also includes very detailed instructions on rib stitching (a/k/a
rib lacing which was discussed here in a recent thread) as well as wire
bundle installation, lacing, and repair.

I have run out of "time to kill" on subjects of personal curiosity for the
day; but the wire numbering information for almost any aircraft will appear
in the maintenance manual.

Since this is a homebuilding group, each of us is the "manufacturer" and is
free to work out our own numbering scheme including any prefixes and
suffixes. However, since I have found that I lack creativity in such
matters, I would be inclined to look in the manual for a similar type of
certified aircraft--and might suggest that buying a few beers for a friendly
mechanic. I would further suggest that a good candidate might be the same
mechanic you intend to use for your inspections during the construction
process.

That way you could get the appropriate couple of pages copied for a couple
of appropriate certified aircraft. Of course, you will still want that
complete hard copy of AC 43.13 for the rest of the information...

Peter

Old January 2nd 09, 06:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
RST Engineering

This appears to be from an older military aircraft, but there are lists
available. Two pretty good places to start are ATA Spec 2200 (which
includes ATA Spec 100) and AC 43.13 1B.

Except for the fact that neither 43.13.1B NOR 65-15 (the Airframe Handbook
from the trilogy General, Engine, and Airframe handbooks, each of them about
600 pages long) cover the SYSTEM to be used for marking.

I quote from page 385 of the Airframe handbook, "There is no standard
procedure for marking and identifying wiring; each manufacturer normally
develops his (sic) own identification code."

Seems to me that the homebuilt market can come up with a standard and a
method that we can all agree on, I'll publish it in Kitplanes, and then we
can simply refer the feller that asks the question a year from now to my
website, where that article will reside.

What's the big deal?

Jim

Old January 2nd 09, 11:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

"RST Engineering" wrote in message
m...

[...]

Really, Jim, I agree with you on all of this. I was simply pointing out the
few places I happened to know of to look for a little imformation to start
off. Certainly, anyone who especially wants to do so could try to get a
copy of the Piper, Cessna, or Beach numbering system from their chapter
technical advisor; but all are also free to develope and adopt their own
system.

Personally, I think that your earlier suggestion regarding the use of
resistor color codes is a good one. I also felt compelled to point out the
sources of additional information that I could recall--in case anyone really
wanted to research how the big boys wire aircraft with a lot of wires and a
lot of systems. Admittedly, a lot of that has to do with making those
assets as repairable as possible under some "interesting" conditions--and
are not very important for simple aircraft at the entry level of general
aviation.

There are few enough wires, and especially few enough bulkhead connections,
in homebuilt aircraft that we really do not need to adopt the sorts of
alphanumeric codes that quickly identify the applicable systems and harness
segments on modern transport and combat aircraft. Therefore, I am inclined
to adopt your numeric color coding idea--with the following possible
addition.

My only real modification to your original idea, if using a code to identify
wires by the systems that they serve, might be to eliminate the double wide
first digit and replace it with the system identifier followed by a single
width of clear heat shrink tubing and then the three or four digit code.

Any possible standardization of the coding would probably be usefull,
especially as homebuilt aircraft are occasionally resold. will look
forward to your article and send along any suggestions that might occur to
me.

All the best.

Peter

Old January 3rd 09, 12:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Dale Scroggins[_2_]

[...]

Some old Pipers, I think, and either early Falcon or Mitsubishi jets (can't
remember which) has a system that ought to work well for homebuilts. Many
avionics manufacturers have used similar systems, so most A&Ps would
recognize it. Here's how it works:

Every electrical component has a designator. This can be an abbreviation or
other appropriate alphanumeric string. Make them as intuitive as possible.
All sources, loads, switches, multiwire connectors, splices, junctions, etc.
would each have a unique designator. The builder makes a list of
designators telling what the component is and where each is located. Labels
on the component or airframe nearby (or both) are good.

Each wire is identified by a combination of two designators with pin,
socket, or terminal ID. For example, navigation light wiring could be as
follows:
NAVCB-2/NAVSW-C (Navigation circuit breaker load terminal to navigation
switch common terminal.)
NAVSW-NO/CON6-Sc (Navigation light switch NO terminal to Connector 6, socket
c. Reference to the component list tells us that Connector 6 is at the left
wing root.)
CON6-Pc/LNAV-1 (Connector 6, pin c, to left nav light, terminal 1.)

Wiring ought to be marked every 15 inches or so. I know the Brady-type
sleeves are expensive, but they sure save time. And if you buy enough
sleeves, some distributors will give you the hand-held thermal printer. An
active EAA chapter should consider getting one.

Dale

Old January 3rd 09, 12:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
jerry wass

RST Engineering wrote:
[...]

Yeah, that sounds good to me--I only presented the old system because
there seemed NOT to be a modern one---Your Karmick Konnector was a good
start--It would seem to be a good idea to standardize the naming of
various systems--I don't think much of the colors--they all fade after a
while--I was going to mention if you print your own, take the color
cartrige out of your printer--when black runs low--the damn things mix
RGB to make black and it FADES due to lack of carbon black in the ink!
Jerry
Old January 3rd 09, 05:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Tom Wait

You forgot weapons systems and countermeasures.
Tom

.. .

Old January 3rd 09, 09:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
jerry wass

Tom Wait wrote:
You forgot weapons systems and countermeasures.
Tom

It was in the first post under "A" armament---However A&B weren't in the
columns , but hanging on the last sentence..before column started

"Jerry Wass" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Wiring diagram for mic? Gary G Home Built 5 November 3rd 05 03:21 PM
Wiring diagram for GA mic Gary G Piloting 0 November 2nd 05 01:15 PM
Q about mic wiring ken ward Soaring 2 May 31st 05 10:33 PM
Wiring KX 175 TSO Tore B. General Aviation 0 May 6th 04 10:02 PM
Wiring KDR-510 Chad Lemmen Owning 3 September 16th 03 02:03 PM