Captured V-1 Pulsjet being Fed

Old January 22nd 04, 04:57 PM
robert arndt

Default Captured V-1 Pulsjet being Fed

http://www.texasmonthly.com/ranch/sr...1rocket.1.jpeg

A captures pulsejet on a stand. Notice that is operating by being fed
air, fuel, and notice the spark plug lead.
Again, notice how the pulsejet CANNOT operate INDEPENDENTLY without
flying at at least 186 mph.

Rob
Old January 22nd 04, 05:30 PM
Keith Willshaw

"robert arndt" wrote in message
om...
http://www.texasmonthly.com/ranch/sr...1rocket.1.jpeg

A captures pulsejet on a stand. Notice that is operating by being fed
air, fuel, and notice the spark plug lead.
Again, notice how the pulsejet CANNOT operate INDEPENDENTLY without
flying at at least 186 mph.

Rob

This does not follow, just because the engine was being fed with air
that does not mean it must be.

The NACA articles describing the tests made it clear that
they used inlet air speeds of 0 mph to 340 mph

At 0 mph the engine DID run independently and produced
500lbs of thrust

The table of data reads as follows

Simulated Ram pressure in water 0 18 48 58
Equivalent indicated airspeed mph 0 190 280 340
Max thrust 500 660 740 770
Thrust for min fuel consumption 420 610 660 680

please take the time to read it

http://naca.larc.nasa.gov/reports/19...a-wr-e-269.pdf

Note especially the comment on page 12

"Figures 8 & 9 show that for a ram pressure of 0 (ie. ZERO ram effect)
from 6 to 9 pounds per second of air is induced into the engine for
combustion upon which an effective jet velocity of about 2300 ft per
second is developed"

They also describe how Argus needed an external spark and air
blast for starting but that immediately after start this was no longer
required.

What they did have to do was put a shroud around the engine to cool the
shell if they were to run it for 30 seconds at zero mph IAS

I dont doubt that the Germans imposed a limit of 7 seconds running on the
ramp before launch but it DID clearly run unaided at launch time

Keith

Old January 22nd 04, 06:37 PM
B2431

From: (robert arndt)
Date: 1/22/2004 10:57 AM Central Standard Time
http://www.texasmonthly.com/ranch/sr...1rocket.1.jpeg

A captures pulsejet on a stand. Notice that is operating by being fed
air, fuel, and notice the spark plug lead.
Again, notice how the pulsejet CANNOT operate INDEPENDENTLY without
flying at at least 186 mph.

Rob

It's a test stand. Maybe they were testing the engine over a range of simulated
air speeds. Who knows. It is still not an operational V-1 engine or launch.

You have been shown video of the engines running without forced air. That
should be proof enough. Look at the videos of the V-1 launches. The engines
were running before the piston was fired.There was no air being forced in. Are
you suggesting the Nazis were going to launch a V-1 and HOPE the engine kicks
in before the end of the ramp? Are you suggesting there's a hidden forced air
source that just happenes to vanish about the time the missle leaves the ramp?

There was a prototype engine that had a row of glassed over observation ports
down one side. See if you can find the footage of it. I have seen it on
television a few times and do not recall it being hooked up to a forced air
system.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old January 22nd 04, 09:47 PM
Bruce Simpson

On 22 Jan 2004 08:57:57 -0800, (robert arndt) wrote:

http://www.texasmonthly.com/ranch/sr...1rocket.1.jpeg

A captures pulsejet on a stand. Notice that is operating by being fed
air, fuel, and notice the spark plug lead.
Again, notice how the pulsejet CANNOT operate INDEPENDENTLY without
flying at at least 186 mph.

Rob

Note that, despite what your subject heading might say, this is not a
captured V1 pulsejet being fired. It is actually a replica built by
Survival Research Laboratories. (the page from which the image you
referenced was taken is at :
http://www.texasmonthly.com/ranch/srl/v1.php and more detail on the
SRL's V1 project can be found at http://www.srl.org/machines/v1/

Note that SRL have a number of pulsejets in their inventory, and they
all operate without forced air -- a fact that can be testified to by
the thousands of people who have watched their shows.

And don't tell the millions of people who watched me build/drive a
pulsejet powered gokart on Junkyard Wars last year. I wasn't doing
186mph -- but that pulsejet engine was certainly running strong and
loud without a hint of forced air (except briefly just to get it
firing)

And if you check out this page:
http://aardvark.co.nz/pjet/lhkart.shtml you'll see that I know I was
only going 57mph because I had a GPS system onboard to measure the
speed.

Check the brief video clip at:
http://interestingprojects.com/shcbits01.mpg

You can also see a pulsejet running without forced air on a test stand
in this clip (Real Player required):

http://aardvark.co.nz/pjet/video/pj15srm

So, either I'm achieving the impossible, or I am right when I say that
pulsejets can and do create static thrust and don't need to be moving
through the air at any speed in order to work.

Old January 23rd 04, 02:28 AM
B2431

From: Bruce Simpson ess

On 22 Jan 2004 08:57:57 -0800,
(robert arndt) wrote:

[...]

An impressive site.

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

Old January 23rd 04, 11:29 AM
Cub Driver

You have been shown video of the engines running without forced air.

Perhaps we're conflating the pulse jet and the ram jet?

I thought that the distinction between the two was just that: the
pulse jet could function without forced air, the ram jet couldn't.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email:

see the Warbird's Forum at
www.warbirdforum.com
and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com
Old January 23rd 04, 03:16 PM
Kevin Brooks

"Cub Driver" wrote in message

You have been shown video of the engines running without forced air.

Perhaps we're conflating the pulse jet and the ram jet?

But Rob has assured us that the pulse jet is a form of a ram jet, just as he
has assured us that pulse jets can't run or be started in a static mose
without forced air. So far his assurances have not generated much
confidence.

Brooks

and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com

Old January 23rd 04, 04:09 PM
Kevin Brooks

"Kevin Brooks" wrote in message

"Cub Driver" wrote in message

You have been shown video of the engines running without forced air.

Perhaps we're conflating the pulse jet and the ram jet?

But Rob has assured us that the pulse jet is a form of a ram jet, just as

he
has assured us that pulse jets can't run or be started in a static mose

Err...that should be "mode". Not "mose", and not "moose" (having encountered
a couple of those critters up-close-and-personal while trout fishing, I'd be
reluctant to try and insert *any* kind of foreign object in said beast even
if he was standing still).

and the Piper Cub Forum at www.pipercubforum.com