Plane Accidentally Starts Moving With 6-Year-Old Inside

Old December 31st 08, 11:38 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Anyolmouse

Default Plane Accidentally Starts Moving With 6-Year-Old Inside

"vaughn" wrote in message

| "Anyolmouse" wrote in message
|
| Back in the mid 70's I witnessed brake failure on a Luscombe during
| rollout of a landing. The airplane ground looped and went into a
fence.
| The FAA inspector classified it as an incident. He said that
incidents
| did not result in injuries requiring hospital treatment. Accidents
did
| require hospital treatment. I don't know if that was his own policy
or
| the FAA's at the time.
|
| See FARs Part 830.2 (definitions)
|
| Vaughn

I did so. Thanks-

--
Anyolmouse

Old December 31st 08, 11:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Dohm

"vaughn" wrote in message

"BT" wrote in message
Is it an accident that you did not do as instructed?
Or is it negligence.

The two are not mutually exclusive, so your answer is "both". We are
all capable of doing dumb things. (though some of us may be more capable
than others)

Vaughn

True, although the point that has been missed in this discussion, on at
least two newsgroups, is the maintenance issue--especially with respect to
the breaker points in the magnetos.

When the breaker points, a/k/a e-gap, are not correctly set, there will
usually be insufficient spark to easily start the engine be hand propping.
When that problem occurs, it is discuoragingly common to experiment a little
in an effort to get the engine started. Also, most people are unaware of
how much thrust the engine can develop--the old rule of thumb is about one
fifth of the certificated gross weight of the aircraft and most production
aircraft with fixed pitch props come very close to that number. That means
many of the tie down ropes and anchors, especially the temporary varieties,
are little more trustworthy than chocks for the purpose.

I have heard a couple of very amusing old stories in which the aircarft
supposedly flew after "getting loose" when hand propped. In both of the
most entertaining cases, the aircraft eventually landed safety. In one
case, the pilot hand propped an Ercoupe and the pilots wife, who was a
frequent passenger but not a pilot, was in the aircraft and "stepped up" as
a pinch hitter--successfully landing rather firmly but without damage after
a couple of missed approaches. In the other case, the pilot's young son,
aged around 6 years, was in the aircraft and sinply waited untill the
aircraft landed itself due to fuel exhaustion--although I personally
susspect that the kid may have also "stepped up" and influenced the landing
site to favaor an especially flat and open area. In both cases, the
throttles had supposedly been advanced to facilitate a difficult start, and
the engines supposedly commenced to operate at about 1800 RPM.

Therefore, IMHO, proper maintenance of magnetos would be at least as
effective a solution as any other!

Peter

A SAFE, HEALTHY, AND PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR TO ALL !!!!

Old January 1st 09, 12:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting

On Dec 31, 3:01*pm, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:

Am I dreaming?

In the US you are. That is a Canadian rule. I can't ever remember
having a licensed pilot when I was hand proping. In truth its only
scarry to those that haven't done it. In fact you have to stop
yourself every once-in-a-while because it becomes so common its easy
to let your guard down. If I had to have another pilot around that
would have killed 90% of my flights.

Canadian rule does not require a competent person at the controls
if the airplane is prevented from moving. Here's the reg:

Starting and Ground Running of Aircraft Engines

602.10 (1) No person shall start an engine of an aircraft unless

(a) a pilot's seat is occupied by a person who is competent to control
the aircraft;

(b) precautions have been taken to prevent the aircraft from moving;
or

(c) in the case of a seaplane, the aircraft is in a location from
which any movement of the aircraft will not endanger persons or
property.

In my case, I have a really strong parking brake. And if I have
to use more than fully-closed throttle, I tie the tail down.

Dan

Old January 1st 09, 01:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Scott[_7_]

B A R R Y wrote:
Robert M. Gary wrote:

One
thing that "electric" pilots do not realize is that its very, very
hard to guess how much power the engine will develop when it first
starts. Sometimes it will just be idling, other times it will start
with a big roar.

I seem to remember a rule about a licensed pilot at the controls when
hand propping.

Am I dreaming?

Except when you fly to an unattended airport, fuel up (U-Fuel Self
Service) with your credit card, find there isn't a soul there except you
and you still have 300 miles to go to your destination.
Old January 1st 09, 07:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Bear Bottoms[_4_]

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 19:40:12 -0800 (PST), Monk wrote:

Palestine

KILL HAMAS!
--
Bear Bottoms
Private Attorney General
Old January 2nd 09, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Monk

On Dec 30 2008, 12:48*am, "BT" wrote:
And for Monk.. why do people have to keep positing things that are in the
news, on the news services, on the electronic emails such as AvWeb or
ePilot.

BT

And for BT... why do people have to keep asking questions and not use
a question mark? g

Monk