JPI Data Encryption?

Old April 27th 05, 03:43 AM
Jon A.

You missed it, Juan. Down below they state that they'll exchange the
better EG Trends software (the current company they want to put out of
business) for their new crap that still doesn't hold up a dim candle
to it. That's what this whole software changing and updating thing is
really all about. If you've never used the downloading features and
plotted and graphed the info (Excel) you won't know the difference.
But for those who really look at the stuff, and everyone should, it's
important.

Anyway, here's a blast from the past for everyone to look at. How
many remember this embarrassing fiasco where JPI had the money to sue
a little guy out of business.

http://home.earthlink.net/~timrv6a/jpi.html

On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 22:24:51 -0400, "Juan Jimenez"
wrote:

Umm... this is on www.jpitech.com now...

JPI will now convert your downloaded DAT file into a CSV file format for $
5 (USD). This feature will be available automatically on this website in the
future, but you can email in your DAT file now for this conversion process.

???

Juan

Old April 27th 05, 04:46 AM
George Patterson

Jon A. wrote:

Anyway, here's a blast from the past for everyone to look at. How
many remember this embarrassing fiasco where JPI had the money to sue
a little guy out of business.

I remember. I swore then that I'd never buy anything from JPI. Never have. Never
will.

George Patterson
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures. Right next to the
mashed potatoes.
Old April 27th 05, 03:08 PM
Kyler Laird

"Juan Jimenez" writes:

That requires that people who a) are customers or b) have been customers,
and c) have had this happen to them to go on record saying this, Kyler.

That requires little research beyond a trip to Google.

--kyler
Old April 27th 05, 03:08 PM
Kyler Laird

George Patterson writes:

Anyway, here's a blast from the past for everyone to look at. How
many remember this embarrassing fiasco where JPI had the money to sue
a little guy out of business.

I remember. I swore then that I'd never buy anything from JPI. Never have. Never
will.

That's how I feel too and I bought a Gemini engine analyzer right as that
incident was unfolding. But there were several people who made excuses
for JPI and then declared that because they settled with Matronics all
should be forgotten.

I'd like the community to have a longer memory of those who work against it.

--kyler
Old April 28th 05, 02:35 AM
Jon A.

On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 14:08:03 GMT, Kyler Laird
wrote:

George Patterson writes:

Anyway, here's a blast from the past for everyone to look at. How
many remember this embarrassing fiasco where JPI had the money to sue
a little guy out of business.

I remember. I swore then that I'd never buy anything from JPI. Never have. Never
will.

That's how I feel too and I bought a Gemini engine analyzer right as that
incident was unfolding. But there were several people who made excuses
for JPI and then declared that because they settled with Matronics all
should be forgotten.

They settled with Matronics because Draile ran out of money. He (JP)
should burn in hell for what he does. I wonder if his wife knows he's
cheating.

Old April 28th 05, 04:16 AM
soxinbox

Thanks everyone for putting this topic on the board. I was planning a JPI
install. I already have quotes on the EDM-700.
I have now sent a letter to JPI for info. If they don't provide a good
answer, than I am going to another brand. I can't stand proprietary
information. I just can't imagine the pin head that came up with this
wonderful idea.

wrote in message
oups.com...

CSnyder wrote:
Seems sometime last year JPI decided to eliminate the ability of

it's
scanners to export data in the widely used CSV (comma separated

fields)
format. When a unit is sent in for upgrade or repair they silently

make
this change to the firmware.

The only thing you can use to plot your data is their software.

Won't
export to Exel, any other database or any other trend monitoring

software.

snip

I first heard about this a few months ago. Since I was in the
market for an analyzer for my new engine, I emailed JPI tech support
for details. I received a rather arrogant response telling me that
JPI's EZplot software does anything I'll ever need, so I shouldn't be
bothered that the unit will not work with any other software.
Ironically, in the next sentence, the tech mentioned that they are
still working on EZplot "modules" that will perform some functions of
EGview. That got me a chuckle.

In the end, I sent JPI an email to let them know that my hard earned
dollars had gone to Electronics International, who by the way, seem to
think that the data that comes out of their analyzer is mine to do
whatever I want with it. The unit is being installed this week.

I personally know of two other owners that have gone with EI in the
last month for the same reason.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)

Old April 28th 05, 03:21 PM
Matt Barrow

"soxinbox" wrote in message
Thanks everyone for putting this topic on the board. I was planning a JPI
install. I already have quotes on the EDM-700.
I have now sent a letter to JPI for info. If they don't provide a good
answer, than I am going to another brand. I can't stand proprietary
information. I just can't imagine the pin head that came up with this
wonderful idea.

Why anyone would buy JPI after what has been demonstrated here is beyond me.

I guess some people are into self-abuse.

--
Matt
---------------------

Old April 28th 05, 04:55 PM
Robert M. Gary

I love my JPI but I haven't updated my software in awhile. From what
I've read on this board, I don't think I will. I wonder if JPI has any
idea how many customers they're losing to this silly decision. If they
were 1/2 smart, they'd provide a free version of the software that just
let you pull the info off and let you put it in exel (which is what I
do today).

-Robert

Old April 28th 05, 04:59 PM
Robert M. Gary

Looks like they've taken their message board down now.

Old April 28th 05, 05:01 PM
Robert M. Gary

HEY LOOK. They now have a posting on their page that says they will
convert your data for $5!!! What ****!!!

http://www.jpitech.com/

For immediate assistance please call 800-345-4574

JPI will now convert your downloaded DAT file into a CSV file format
for $ 5 (USD). This feature will be available automatically on this
website in the future, but you can email in your DAT file now for this
conversion process.

(One DAT file stores about 25 Flying hours, at a six second recording
interval which equals roughly 20 CSV files)

For questions or any additional information please email us at: