Landing light

Old October 18th 05, 03:23 AM
tony roberts

Default Landing light

I recall reading about a landing light bulb that is a lot brighter than
the usual ones.

I swear that when I turn mine on, it actually makes everything darker

Anyone have any leads to a REALLY bright landing light.

Tony
--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL

Old October 18th 05, 03:39 AM
George Patterson

tony roberts wrote:

I recall reading about a landing light bulb that is a lot brighter than
the usual ones.

They may be talking about the quartz bulb. It's brighter, but it also has a
narrower beam. That means you can see things further away, but it doesn't
illuminate well to the sides.

I had two in my Maule. I would never use them in a tailwheel aircraft again.

George Patterson
Drink is the curse of the land. It makes you quarrel with your neighbor.
It makes you shoot at your landlord. And it makes you miss him.
Old October 18th 05, 04:09 AM
tony roberts

Thanks for the replies.
I checked out LoPresti Boom Beam and on their website they didn't
include the Cessna 172H so I emailed them. I'll report back on whether
it's available for my plane.

Thanks

Tony
--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL

Old October 18th 05, 12:51 PM
Doug Vetter

Bob Chilcoat wrote:
Yeah, but you won't like the price. Google LoPresti Boom Beam.

True, but knots2u.com is working on cowl mount HIDs and if their wingtip
HID prices are any indication, it will be about half the price of
LoPresti's offering. Check out:

http://knots2u.com/HID20%20Light.htm

The problem is they've been in the "expecting certification next month"
mode for a year. If I had to pull the trigger right now, I'd buy the
LoPresti ($1K) for the cowl and the knots2u ($550 ea) for the wingtips.

-Doug

--------------------
Doug Vetter, ATP/CFI

http://www.dvatp.com
--------------------
Old October 18th 05, 01:26 PM
OtisWinslow

I tried a Halogen one. When you pointed the nose toward the ground
it would light up an area like the police helicopters. But the beam seemed
narrower on landing and I didn't care for it. We have lots of deer and
other creatures that like to wander across the runway and I like the
wider view on landing at nite.

Old October 18th 05, 02:34 PM
Jay Honeck

I swear that when I turn mine on, it actually makes everything darker

Anyone have any leads to a REALLY bright landing light.

Well, it's not a landing light, but rather landing LIGHTS. See:
http://alexisparkinn.com/skycraft_landing_lights.htm

We added them after becoming similarly disgusted with the stock landing
light in our plane. These things light up EVERYTHING like daytime!

I've currently got regular 4509 bulbs in them, but I just burned one out a
couple of days ago (after MAYBE 25 hours of use), so I'm switching to the
Q4509s (the quartz-halogen equivalent), which I've used successfully for
years in the nose.

It's a brighter, narrower beam, and it lasts a LOT longer.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old October 18th 05, 06:50 PM
Javier Henderson

Bob Chilcoat wrote:
Yeah, but you won't like the price. Google LoPresti Boom Beam.

I installed, with a field approval and the assistance of regular
contributor Jim Weir, a set of HID lights from RMD Aircraft.

Half the price for similar parts, and the suckers are BRIGHT.

Highly recommended, the installation was a snap.

-jav
Old October 18th 05, 09:53 PM
Bob Chilcoat

I have a friend with a 96 A-36 Bonanza, who keeps his Boom Beams on all the
time for enhanced visibility in the daytime. Since they have something like
a 5,000-hour life, he sees no reason not to.

Old October 19th 05, 12:09 AM
Michelle P

George,
I ran the standard lamp as a taxi on the left and a Quartz for landing
in the right aimed further out.
Works great.
Michelle