Lexan

Old March 27th 07, 04:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself

Default Lexan

COLIN LAMB wrote:
I think it was "Goof Off" that I used on Lexan and it did craze the
material. Get a spare piece and try it out first. Crazing a canopy or
windshield youself is something that grown men cry about.

After I crazed the material, I got a 3 part plastic refinishing system from
Sears and eventually polished it all up.

I have small sheets of old acylic with the brown paper still on after about
15 years. So, it does not want to come off. In my case, I put in in the
sink with warm water and detergent and it eventually comes off. So, I
suspect the soap suggested by Denny is probably the best solution.

Naptha may also work. As I recall, the ingredients are not published, but
it may not be petroleum based. It is a great cleaner for camera shutters.

Colin

What Colin said - ESPECIALLY if there is any curvature in the plastic.

The stuff really crazes quickly when stressed.

Flat sheet may not craze as quickly - but it will eventually.

Richard
Old March 27th 07, 10:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Lou

Just a thought. If heat put it on, won't heat help take it off?
Lou

Old March 27th 07, 02:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
jerry wass

cavelamb himself wrote:
COLIN LAMB wrote:
[...]

Re; Naptha----Naptha is a petroleum distillate--a narrow range of
molecules taken from crude petroleum--usually in a fractionating
(bubble) tower.
Old March 27th 07, 06:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
kd5sak

I don't know for certain it'll work for you, but I've used two of the citrus
oil based adhesive solvents and they both work well in removing sticky
labels and the adhesive used on them. The two brands I've successfully used
are "Goo Gone" and "De-Solv-It" and I've never had either harm plastic or
wood surfaces I've used'em on.

Harold
KD5SAK

"erik" wrote in message
ups.com...
Listers, I need help, please.

About three weeks ago I had to push an airframe that I was working
on, out into the open for space requirements. The windshield was
intalled on this airframe, but still covered in the protective plastic
"masking" to prevent scratching.

Now, after three weeks in the sun, the masking has deteriorated so
much that I can't get it off the lexan. It has perished into milions
of 1/4 mm square pieces that seems bonded to the lexan.

I have unsuccessfully tried: hot water and soap, turpentine,
meths,spit, scratching with my fingernails (works to an extend, but
leaves tiny scratches on the lexan surface. Can these be polished
out?), thinners (ginormous mistake).

I have not tried acetone (I forsee another ginormous mistake), or fire
(match in the fuel tank). Or Handy-Andy, an ammonium-based deterdent.

Any suggestions will be tried. This is driving me off my rocker.

Thanks and goodbye,

Erik Snyman

Old March 28th 07, 12:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"Lou" wrote in message
oups.com...
Just a thought. If heat put it on, won't heat help take it off?
Lou

That's my understanding (Hair dryer - not a heat gun)

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old March 28th 07, 03:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Montblack

("Richard Riley" wrote)
Erik, if you happen to be in the Los Angeles area, I own a coin self
service car wash here and will happily crank up the pressure for you. (I'm
running 800 PSI standard)

Our local self-service car wash has had ALL DAY (50 cent) Tuesdays, for
years. Before that, into the mid 90's, it was (25 cent) Tuesdays.

As cynical as I usually am, I don't think they turn the timers down on
Tuesdays. Or do they? g

Montblack
Speaking of, I need to 'go over' and wash the airplane of minivans - before
10pm (CDT).

(1) Soap wash .............. $0.50
(2) Foam brush ............. $0.50
(3) Rinse ....................... $0.50

Old March 28th 07, 09:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
erik

On Mar 26, 9:56 am, "erik" wrote:
[...]

To all the listers that offered solutions to my Lexan problem, a big
thank you! I will try them all until something works.

To the guys that kindly offered to crank up the washer pressures for
me.... thanks, guys. I should have mentioned that I live on the other
side of the world....South Africa.

Regards,

Erik.

Old March 28th 07, 03:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ron Wanttaja

On 28 Mar 2007 01:13:15 -0700, "erik" wrote:

To the guys that kindly offered to crank up the washer pressures for
me.... thanks, guys. I should have mentioned that I live on the other
side of the world....South Africa.

800 PSI ain't quite going to do it, then. :-)

Ron Wanttaja
Old March 29th 07, 08:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Ric[_2_]

"Richard Riley" wrote in message
On Tue, 27 Mar 2007 21:25:14 -0500, "Montblack"
wrote:

("Richard Riley" wrote)
Erik, if you happen to be in the Los Angeles area, I own a coin self
service car wash here and will happily crank up the pressure for you.
(I'm
running 800 PSI standard)

Our local self-service car wash has had ALL DAY (50 cent) Tuesdays, for
years. Before that, into the mid 90's, it was (25 cent) Tuesdays.

As cynical as I usually am, I don't think they turn the timers down on
Tuesdays. Or do they? g

Probably not, it's a bother to change the timers. Though, if you're
changing the number of coins it needs to turn on anyway, you're
halfway there.

The only promotion I do is on Labor Day, July 4th and Memorial Day any
pre-1970 car, and anything exotic (arbitrarily defined by me) gets
washed for free, 20 minute limit. I spend the day there, we get some
*beautiful* old hot rods and low riders. Occasionally we get one that
absolutely should be in a museum - we had a 1954 Munz Jet last year.

Me thinks you should have a "young girls in bikinis" free wash day......
would definately pull up a deck chair for that!!

Ric

Old March 30th 07, 01:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Blueskies

:
: To the guys that kindly offered to crank up the washer pressures for
: me.... thanks, guys. I should have mentioned that I live on the other
: side of the world....South Africa.
:
: 800 PSI ain't quite going to do it, then. :-)
:
: Ron Wanttaja

Yea, maybe just turn it up to 55 bar instead!

;-)

Lexan Bend Radius J.Kahn Home Built 10 December 7th 06 04:09 PM
Small window in Lexan DavidH Home Built 3 December 16th 05 10:43 AM
Cutting Lexan? Scott Home Built 15 February 19th 04 12:51 AM