New Queer? for the fleet, EF-18G

Old December 30th 03, 04:57 AM

Default New Queer? for the fleet, EF-18G

Boeing won a $1 billion contract yesterday (12/29/03) to develop an
electronic attack version of the Super Hornet called the EA-18G. (from
Washington Post)

Old December 30th 03, 05:14 AM
fudog50

Any details on the contract? How about the SOW? I'd be interested to
see it, along with the milestones and when DT/OT/IOC is supposed to
take place.

Old December 30th 03, 03:32 PM
Ogden Johnson III

"J" wrote:

"fudog50" wrote in message

"J" wrote:

Boeing won a $1 billion contract yesterday (12/29/03) to develop an
electronic attack version of the Super Hornet called the EA-18G. (from
Washington Post)

Any details on the contract? How about the SOW? I'd be interested to
see it, along with the milestones and when DT/OT/IOC is supposed to
take place.

Jezzz! I told you it came from the Washington Post. Go there and look it up
for yourself self, they are a major newspaper and they even have a web site.

Here you go, foodog. Red Rider was apparently having a bad day. Most
of us will post the URL of a news article we're discussing.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2003Dec29.html

[Noting that sometimes, even with that day's hard copy of the
Washington Post in my hand, I've had trouble finding an article of
interest on the web site. Which is why I always look it up on the web
site before posting about it here. So that I can include the URL,
once I've managed to find it. ;-]
--
OJ III
[Email sent to Yahoo addy is burned before reading.
Old December 31st 03, 12:39 AM
fudog50

Unsat J,
Thanks to O.J for pasting the link, (which says absolutely
nothing about the questions I asked), so go "JEEZ" yourself for cryin
out loud! Do you even know what DT/OT and IOC are? I'll leave it at
that.
Yeah, there were some pictures of a "Growler" with jammer pods
floating around about 3 years ago, with CAG-3 and HST lettering on it.
We could never tell if it was a touched up photo or not. I was under
the impression it was just an F model with pods slung on it for photo
ops. We all knew it was pretty much a done deal. Lots of questions
remain about when and where the testing and eventually the home basing
will be. If Whidbey wants it, they better hurry up and build an engine
test cell that won't get melted by them GE 400's.

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 13:44:05 GMT, "J" wrote:

Jezzz! I told you it came from the Washington Post. Go there and look it up
for yourself self, they are a major newspaper and they even have a web site.

.. .

Old January 1st 04, 12:12 AM
Ogden Johnson III

fudog50 wrote:

Unsat J,
Thanks to O.J for pasting the link, (which says absolutely
nothing about the questions I asked), so go "JEEZ" yourself for cryin
out loud! Do you even know what DT/OT and IOC are? I'll leave it at
that.

I can guarantee you he does. I can also guarantee you that you are
displaying your own ignorance by asking:

Any details on the contract? How about the SOW? I'd be interested to
see it, along with the milestones and when DT/OT/IOC is supposed to
take place.

when the source was clearly identified as a newspaper article. I've
been playing around the DoD world, either in the military or working
for them via a beltway bandit, since 1961 and I've *never* seen
information about a contract's SOW, milestones, DT/OT/IOC, etc.,
published in a newspaper article. Or in a website article. Or in a
magazine article. I generally see snippets of info on that sort of
thing in the presentations put out by the Program Office's or
Manufacturer/Prime Contractor's Power Point Rangers.

Maybe you want to try an FOI request with DoN for the info you are
seeking.
Old January 1st 04, 09:35 AM
fudog50

Hey OJ
Sorry if I ruffled your feathers, I'm confused. I asked a question to
the group, not just him about any other details the group might have
other than the news article, because I would be truly interested. Then
all I get is flack, like I'm a dumbass for asking. First 'J' responded
with " JEEZ, its a news article". I knew that it was just a news
article, thats why I told him to go Jeez hisself when he attacked my
question to the group, and I guess you meant that to be for you? it
wasn't.
And yes I know about being PP to death, I have a "few" on MMA
and ACS/EP3, thats why I asked if anyone had any info on it. I also
work for a PMA. Guess I asked for too much. Shoulda known better, but
I'm not ignorant.

Old January 1st 04, 02:40 PM
Thomas Schoene

Ogden Johnson III wrote:

when the source was clearly identified as a newspaper article. I've
been playing around the DoD world, either in the military or working
for them via a beltway bandit, since 1961 and I've *never* seen
information about a contract's SOW, milestones, DT/OT/IOC, etc.,
published in a newspaper article. Or in a website article. Or in a
magazine article. I generally see snippets of info on that sort of
thing in the presentations put out by the Program Office's or
Manufacturer/Prime Contractor's Power Point Rangers.

I think maybe you're not reading the right magazines, then. The serious
trade press (Defense Daily, Aerospace Daily, Inside the Pentagon, etc.) will
often discuss milestones, DT/OT, IOC dates, and so forth. A lot of this
info will even show up in slightly less hard-core pubs like Aviation Week
and Defense News.

For EA-18, we can even find this info online in pubs like Seapower (not
usually a great refernce, but a good start in this case). From mid 2002:

"The company estimates that the aircraft's Systems Design and Development
phase could begin in fiscal year 2004, with initial operational capability
reached in 2009. "

http://www.navyleague.org/sea_power/june_02_08.php

The EA-18G did in fact pass Milestone B (Approaval to begin System Design
and Development) late in 2003 and Boeing received a contract for EA-18G SDD
on the 29th (which is what prompted this thread).

"If brave men and women never died, there would be nothing
special about bravery." -- Andy Rooney (attributed)

Old December 30th 03, 05:31 AM
Yofuri

Old news; already built and flying. Looking for a job?

https://www.nalda.navy.mil/intern/Air31/EA18G.doc

Rick

--
My real e-mail address is:

r.com...

Old December 30th 03, 11:39 PM
Andrew Toppan

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 21:31:01 -0800, "Yofuri" wrote:

Old news; already built and flying. Looking for a job?

EF-18G built and flying? According to who? The Navy apparently doesn't think
so, or they wouldn't have awarded a large contract to develop the aircraft.

F/A-18E/F is "built and flying". EF-18G has been under discussion and
preliminary development for some time, so the contract is no surprise.

--
Andrew Toppan --- --- "I speak only for myself"
"Haze Gray & Underway" - Naval History, DANFS, World Navies Today,