My Bose headsets are shocking me!

Old February 16th 04, 01:14 AM
Peter R.

Default My Bose headsets are shocking me!

For the first time in about 200 hours of use in the same aircraft, my
Bose X ANR headsets started shocking my ears every minute or two. The
aircraft is an '02 Cessna 172 SP with Bendix King avionics.

I suspect it is not the headsets, but perhaps a bad ground somewhere in
the intercom system?

When I swapped to a pair of Lightspeeds, the electric shock stopped.
However, I am skeptical of this test, since the Lightspeed ear cups,
with an inch or so of gel padding, is much deeper than the Bose and the
metal in the cups much farther from my ears.

What would cause this problem?

--
Peter

Old February 16th 04, 03:32 PM
Mike Z.

I will take a whack at this one.

To start with, is there a metallic sort of substance touching your skin and is this a 'little' poke like a nine volt battery on the
tongue, or is it more of a zap like the old winter / carpet / doorknob pet the cat deal?

I have been in the phone business for a long time and my bet is, if it is the latter that you are zapping the headsets, not the
other way around. If that is the case, get rid of the new seat covers, change back to your old shoes or you risk blowing the little
electronic brains of your headset.

Mike Z

Old February 16th 04, 04:15 PM
Jay Honeck

For the first time in about 200 hours of use in the same aircraft, my
Bose X ANR headsets started shocking my ears every minute or two.

Just when I thought I had read EVERYTHING there was to know about
headsets...

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 16th 04, 04:39 PM
Peter R.

Mike Z. wrote:

To start with, is there a metallic sort of substance touching your skin

No.

and is this a 'little' poke like a nine volt battery on the
tongue,

No, it is a bit stronger than that.

or is it more of a zap like the old winter / carpet / doorknob pet
the cat deal?

It is a zap.

If that is the case, get rid of the new seat covers, change
back to your old shoes or you risk blowing the little electronic brains
of your headset.

I agree that I am risking problems with the electronics of my headsets,
but I do not think it is me creating the charge that is zapping the
headsets.

Nothing has changed in the clothes I wear and the seats of the aircraft
are leather (no covers). My shoes were hiking boots with a rubber
treads.

Thank you for taking the time to try to debug this...

--
Peter

Old February 16th 04, 06:50 PM
Mike Z.

The only other possibility I can think of along these lines, I saw a fella once that quit smoking or something and was real nervous
and he kept scrubbing his feet on the floor. Since your feet are on the rudder pedals, this isn't too likely.

Another trick I have used to isolate a source of static, swipe your wife's Static Guard and spray the carpet and the seats and see
if the problem goes away....

Let us know what you find.

Mike Z

Old February 17th 04, 01:16 PM
Paul Sengupta

"Mike Z." wrote in message
ink.net...
Another trick I have used to isolate a source of static, swipe your wife's

Static Guard and spray the carpet and the seats and see
if the problem goes away....

A light water spray worked for me on car seats/clothing when
I had this problem one dry season here in the UK (doesn't happen
so often).

Paul

Bose makes good on my wife's headset. Kyler Laird General Aviation 3 March 10th 04 02:08 PM
Bose comes through for my Christmas too! (was "Present from Bose!") Kyler Laird General Aviation 12 December 24th 03 05:14 AM
Lightspeed does it again Duane MacInnis Owning 50 October 10th 03 04:14 PM
Bose X smf Owning 5 July 28th 03 04:22 PM
Searching info about headsets Mad Mark [P.E. #65] Home Built 1 July 24th 03 08:44 PM