500 hours!

Old April 5th 04, 04:50 PM
Paul Sengupta

"Philip Sondericker" wrote in message
In your example, at the point in time at which you were permitted to act

as
the solo pilot in command of the airplane, you had already received 11.3
hours of dual prior to that flight, plus another 0.9 hours of dual that
flight. If you add the two numbers, you get 12.2 hours of dual

instruction
prior to your solo.

Well, not exactly. You see, at the start of the lesson in question, I
received some dual instruction for an undetermined length of time, then I
soloed for .3 hours, then I received some more dual instruction flying

back
to the home airport.

Ah. Most people I guess (myself included) log the time the dual
instruction flight ends...it should be the end of a flight, assuming
the instructor doesn't put on a parachute and jump out. Then you
start logging solo from that time until you land and stop the plane.
If the instructor gets back in and you do some more stuff, then you
start logging dual instruction at that time.

You could just guess I suppose, but you'd need to enter something
in your log book. Should probably be different lines for different
flights.

Reminds me of the student pilot who was asked what he would do
if his instructor became incapacitated half way through a cross
country flight. His answer was to continue to his destination and
log half dual instruction and half pilot in command.

Paul

Old April 5th 04, 05:35 PM
David Brooks

"Cub Driver" wrote in message

Why can't you
grumpily nitpick some arcane point in my post--I mean, just to fit in?

It has been raining in the Northeast for a week, and between that and
the spring thaw all my grass airports are closed. That could explain
some of the posts.

We in the Northwest have all been out flying, which explains why the local
flame wars have subsided a bit :-) It's been the sort of CAVU week that we
know happens fro mtime to time, and people from outside assume happens
never. I chose Friday evening to knock some rust off with 3 and a hold, and
just had to lift the shades for a few minutes so I could take in the sunset.

After we landed, I stood on the apron and took advantage of the low horizon
to the west (except for the Olympics). There, in a ragged line left to
right, were the Moon, Jupiter, Saturn, Mars, Venus, and Mercury, all visible
at once. That won't happen again until 2035.

-- David Brooks

Old April 5th 04, 08:17 PM
Jack Allison

Groveland, California. Airport identifier: Q68.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old April 5th 04, 10:20 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Paul Sengupta wrote:

Reminds me of the student pilot who was asked what he would do
if his instructor became incapacitated half way through a cross
country flight. His answer was to continue to his destination and
log half dual instruction and half pilot in command.

In the U.S., student pilots are not allowed to carry passengers. I guess the best
thing to do would be to toss the instructor out and finish the trip solo. :-)

George Patterson
This marriage is off to a shaky start. The groom just asked the band to
play "Your cheatin' heart", and the bride just requested "Don't come home
a'drinkin' with lovin' on your mind".
Old April 5th 04, 11:07 PM
Cub Driver

Ah. Most people I guess (myself included) log the time the dual
instruction flight ends...it should be the end of a flight, assuming
the instructor doesn't put on a parachute and jump out. Then you
start logging solo from that time until you land and stop the plane.

I was in such bliss that I didn't log anything. But now that I look at
my logbook, I see that my instructor did: for 1/26/98, I flew dual for
0.6 hours followed by solo 0.5 hours.

all the best -- Dan Ford
email: (put Cubdriver in subject line)

The Warbird's Forum
www.warbirdforum.com
The Piper Cub Forum www.pipercubforum.com
Viva Bush! blog www.vivabush.org
Old April 6th 04, 12:27 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

Paul Sengupta wrote:

Reminds me of the student pilot who was asked what he would do
if his instructor became incapacitated half way through a cross
country flight. His answer was to continue to his destination and
log half dual instruction and half pilot in command.

In the U.S., student pilots are not allowed to carry passengers. I guess

the best
thing to do would be to toss the instructor out and finish the trip solo.

:-)

Oh, oh!! We're back to the suicide thread.

Old April 6th 04, 02:48 PM
Jay Honeck

After we landed, I stood on the apron and took advantage of the low
horizon
to the west (except for the Olympics). There, in a ragged line left to
right, were the Moon, Jupiter, Saturn, Mars, Venus, and Mercury, all

visible
at once. That won't happen again until 2035.

We saw the same thing -- it was awesome.

We took off from Iowa City with the kids, with three scattered layers
overhead. Flew through one, flew through the next, and then, as we
proceeded south, the third one just evaporated.

Just for fun, I wheeled and soared between and through the little puffies,
as the sun set through them. The red colors of the setting sun shining
through the wispy layer was almost religious.

The kids, who had previously been whining about going flying, fell unusually
silent. As the sun sank below the horizon the air became thick and syrupy,
and we were all lost in our own thoughts as the moon and five planets
emerged.

It was one of those rare moments that separates flying life from the rest of
our hum-drum existence.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA