ClearVav vs. LXNav

Old February 13th 18, 01:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default ClearVav vs. LXNav

Regarding native language: I use a LXNav 8080, and my comment is that the instrument itself is good, but the User Manual is deficient, for four reasons: First, the 8080 is a complex instrument with lots of user options 2) the manual is a single document covering all the various different LXNav modules, and its a maze to extract the parts relevant to any one instrument 3) the manual is written in 'odd English' ie odd choices of words and odd phrasing, that makes it hard to understand 4) it's only provided as an electronic document, and it would be a major job for my home printer to print it, which was what I would prefer.

Old February 13th 18, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"it's only provided as an electronic document, and it would be a major job for my home printer to print it, which was what I would prefer."

I agree on the LXNav manuals- especially how far out of date they can be. On the S80, firmware version 6.1 was out and the manual was still v5.46. (Recently updated to 6.02) Also, the manual combines the S80 and S100 instruments. The biggest hassle is that you pretty much have to print the entire manual with each update. It would be nice if you could just print the sections that changed instead of the whole thing.
Old February 13th 18, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Can't you read it electronically and then only print the pages you want a hard copy of? Should be pretty easy to do that n the "print box", at least in Windows.....
Old February 13th 18, 02:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, February 12, 2018 at 4:58:14 PM UTC-8, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
Can't you read it electronically and then only print the pages you want a hard copy of? Should be pretty easy to do that n the "print box", at least in Windows.....

Charlie, that sounds reasonable, but look at the Manual and you'll see how difficult that would be.
Old February 13th 18, 02:39 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

A typical FAX/Copy store also does printing. You can usually email them a PDF, or bring in a thumb drive with the file on it.

5Z

Old February 13th 18, 02:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, February 12, 2018 at 5:39:19 PM UTC-8, wrote:
A typical FAX/Copy store also does printing. You can usually email them a PDF, or bring in a thumb drive with the file on it.

5Z

On Monday, February 12, 2018 at 5:35:22 PM UTC-8, wrote:
On Monday, February 12, 2018 at 4:58:14 PM UTC-8, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
Can't you read it electronically and then only print the pages you want a hard copy of? Should be pretty easy to do that n the "print box", at least in Windows.....

Charlie, that sounds reasonable, but look at the Manual and you'll see how difficult that would be.

The problem, as I tried to say, is that LXNav attempts to cover all the products that they sell, the 8000, 8080, 9000, 9070, all their varios, all their interconnections, with one big manual. Probably all the information is in there, but its a true maze, to find and extract the relevant data for any one instrument. The whole manual would need to printed, and even then it would be difficult to use. My solution was to make my own manual for my particular unit.
Old February 13th 18, 03:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

On Monday, February 12, 2018 at 5:51:46 PM UTC-8, wrote:
[...]

I find the LXNAV Pdf manuals nice as you can open the pdf on a lap top and search for specific items or key words. Their are two manuals an installation and a user manual.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old February 13th 18, 03:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Monday, February 12, 2018 at 9:21:34 PM UTC-5, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
[...]

You can also search them for a keyword. You can't do that with a paper manual.
Old February 13th 18, 03:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

You can also search them for a keyword. You can't do that with a paper manual.

Old February 13th 18, 03:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Monday, February 12, 2018 at 9:33:39 PM UTC-5, wrote:

You can also search them for a keyword. You can't do that with a paper manual.

You are kidding aren't you? The most index will tell you is a page number. With search you can quickly get to the exact place you want without flipping pages and reading a bunch of staff you don't need to read. You can also search for a phrase.