ClearVav vs. LXNav

Old February 22nd 18, 07:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

Default ClearVav vs. LXNav

On Thursday, February 22, 2018 at 11:30:08 AM UTC-5, wrote:

Something that would make the CN totally Kickass would be a touch screen. To my knowledge Air Avionics is the only panel mount computer to utilize this. Has Touch Screen been considered for the CN?
Kirk

Having been present during one of the flights that actually started the ball rolling on ClearNav (i.e. attempts to poke at a touchscreen while cruising along at 110kts on a rough ridge), I can say the that the "philosophy" of CN was clearly to leverage a pointing device.

FWIW, I've also flown with Tophat on various e-readers and other android devices, and while I really like it, the touchscreen isn't optimal in some situations. In addition to the turbulence issue, I find it takes more "head down" time when a gesture goes bad. In other words, it's easier to accidently zoom or re-center. Fixing that can be tricky.

Anyway, I'm very happy that my CN uses a stick-mounted controller.

Erik Mann (P3)
Old February 22nd 18, 09:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, February 22, 2018 at 9:30:08 AM UTC-7, wrote:

Something that would make the CN totally Kickass would be a touch screen. To my knowledge Air Avionics is the only panel mount computer to utilize this. Has Touch Screen been considered for the CN?
Kirk

Thanks for the responses guys! Let me clarify, I have never flown a stick controller but I am sure I would like it (Always wanted to try one, maybe my next ship). I have a buddy with a Ball Mouse who swears by that type of controller, I guess it may depend on what one is accustomed to.
I have years behind an Oudie (Running SYM) and I have grown accustomed to the touchscreen. It is especially handy while loading tasks and programming and I have found inflight usage to be easy. properly set up it only takes a few taps here and there in flight and in the bumps I use the stylus.
Everything these days is touchscreen (Phones, computers, many car stereos, etc). I run a Dynon Skyview Touch in my powered airplane which gives the option of touchscreen or buttons or a combination. Why not the same feature for a glide computer?
Kirk
Old February 22nd 18, 09:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

Having flown with a CN and stick controller for a number of years, going back to touch screen seems silly... You have to look at it while touching. If you touch the wrong place or don't touch the right amount or drag your finger in turbulence, all bets are off.
Presently flying with an Oudie. A lesson in how much a stick controller improves usability.
Only a little time on the LX90x0 stuff, it's very good but personally prefer the simplicity of the CN. The CN is also easier to build TFR airspace files for, which is necessary where I fly.
Jim
Old February 22nd 18, 11:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, February 22, 2018 at 2:56:50 PM UTC-7, JS wrote:
Having flown with a CN and stick controller for a number of years, going back to touch screen seems silly... You have to look at it while touching.. If you touch the wrong place or don't touch the right amount or drag your finger in turbulence, all bets are off.
Presently flying with an Oudie. A lesson in how much a stick controller improves usability.
Only a little time on the LX90x0 stuff, it's very good but personally prefer the simplicity of the CN. The CN is also easier to build TFR airspace files for, which is necessary where I fly.
Jim

Jim, You made me laugh, TFR files are necessary anywhere(!). I don't know too much about LX90XX stuff but I understand it is similar to SYM and on SYM airspace files are ridiculously easy.
Kirk
Old February 23rd 18, 05:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Thursday, February 22, 2018 at 8:47:50 AM UTC-8, Mark Zivley wrote:
Something that would be fantastic for a CN2 would be the ability to toggle back and forth from the Clearnav software and ForeFlight...

A ClearNav runs on Windows CE and has a cursor pointing device. ForeFlight runs on iOS with a much high resolution display and capacitive touch screen.. There is zero chances of them every being combined, even if somebody could work out what that even would be like.
Old February 23rd 18, 07:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jfitch

On Thursday, February 22, 2018 at 1:56:50 PM UTC-8, JS wrote:
Having flown with a CN and stick controller for a number of years, going back to touch screen seems silly... You have to look at it while touching.. If you touch the wrong place or don't touch the right amount or drag your finger in turbulence, all bets are off.
Presently flying with an Oudie. A lesson in how much a stick controller improves usability.
Only a little time on the LX90x0 stuff, it's very good but personally prefer the simplicity of the CN. The CN is also easier to build TFR airspace files for, which is necessary where I fly.
Jim

There is a huge difference - decades really - between a modern cell phone (or iPad) touchscreen and the ones used on most all purpose built tactical computers. Both in the quality of the screen and the development of the standard UI. There still can be issues in bad turbulence, but you really can't compare an Oudie touch screen with something like an iPhone X or Samsung 8. Having said that, it's pretty hard for a small manufacturer like CN to duplicate (at a few hundred a year) what Apple can do at 50 million a quarter. Also built in screens tend to be at arms length, which makes accurate touching more difficult.
Old February 23rd 18, 05:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

On Thursday, February 22, 2018 at 11:12:03 PM UTC-8, jfitch wrote:
[...]

Craggy Aero uses a trackball mouse on the stick or in your hand for input to Ultimate Le and Ultimate Le57 running SeeYou Mobile PNA.

http://www.craggyaero.com/ultimates.htm

It is not affected by turbulence and gives all the advantages of a touch screen.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old February 23rd 18, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, February 23, 2018 at 10:41:59 AM UTC-7, Richard Pfiffner wrote:

Richard,
Thanks. I may have to fly B4's ship and try this out. Another HUGE advantage the Ultimate has over the CN and LX is the ability to run your favorite software. The OP in this thread should have included the Ultimate in his original post.
Kirk
See you guys next week!
Old February 24th 18, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Eric Greenwell[_4_]

JS wrote on 2/22/2018 1:56 PM:
Having flown with a CN and stick controller for a number of years, going back to touch screen seems silly... You have to look at it while touching. If you touch the wrong place or don't touch the right amount or drag your finger in turbulence, all bets are off.
Presently flying with an Oudie. A lesson in how much a stick controller improves usability.
Only a little time on the LX90x0 stuff, it's very good but personally prefer the simplicity of the CN. The CN is also easier to build TFR airspace files for, which is necessary where I fly.

Lynn Alley's site will produce TFR files for you - no need to build them. I used
his TFR files on my CN1 (in my Phoenix) and on my iPhone 6 running iGlide (in my
ASH 26 E) last year, and plan to do so again this year.

Thanks again, Lynn!

Old February 24th 18, 01:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

On Friday, February 23, 2018 at 5:09:39 PM UTC-8, Eric Greenwell wrote:
JS wrote on 2/22/2018 1:56 PM:
Having flown with a CN and stick controller for a number of years, going back to touch screen seems silly... You have to look at it while touching. If you touch the wrong place or don't touch the right amount or drag your finger in turbulence, all bets are off.
Presently flying with an Oudie. A lesson in how much a stick controller improves usability.
Only a little time on the LX90x0 stuff, it's very good but personally prefer the simplicity of the CN. The CN is also easier to build TFR airspace files for, which is necessary where I fly.

Lynn Alley's site will produce TFR files for you - no need to build them. I used
his TFR files on my CN1 (in my Phoenix) and on my iPhone 6 running iGlide (in my
ASH 26 E) last year, and plan to do so again this year.

Thanks again, Lynn!

Have you a URL for said site?