XC Training May 11 to 15, Avenal, CA, USA- Advert

Old May 5th 05, 04:38 AM
CindyASK

Default XC Training May 11 to 15, Avenal, CA, USA- Advert

Friends:
I seldom impinge on the newsgroup in a commercial manner, but due to a
hard drive crash, the So Cal newsletter is late in distribution.

Caracole offers daily XC training during the Central Calif spring
contest in Sports Class in an AS-K 21. Student du jour flies in the
front, daily flight planning, contest procedures briefing, flying with
plenty of thermal markers, post flight data logger debrief. Lunch
included, served prior to launch. Day fee, $500.

Site is Avenal, California, over mellow farmland, lots of friendly
little airfields around. Someone needing training in the antique
practice of high-speed, low altitude gate finishes should grab this
chance. (Sorry, JJ.)

Contact Caracole Soaring, phone (760) 373-1019 for reservations. Or
.
Cindy B

Old May 5th 05, 11:03 AM

Good on you Cindy!

Hope you have a big - and successful - turnout.

66

Old May 5th 05, 05:16 PM
John Sinclair

Someone needing training in the antique
practice of high-speed, low altitude gate finishes
should grab this
chance. (Sorry, JJ.)

Cindy,
I applaud your efforts to teach cross-country soaring.
Way to go, girl! However, you proudly announce that
instruction will be given in an outmoded, unnecessary
and proven unsafe recovery system (finish line). This
seems in conflict with your past efforts to promote
safety in soaring. I'm curious as to your thinking
on this subject.
Respectfully,
JJ

Old May 5th 05, 11:46 PM
CindyASK

Offered, JJ, offered. Not necessarily given.

You have seen me at Avenal in the K-21.
Or maybe not, as I often finish early enough in Sports Class to
be busy aeroretrieving folks with the 182 after my beloved -21
is tied down safely.

We tippytoe around our miles, keeping glide to runways, practicing
centering and calculating and navigating, and often relaying messages
for folks long and low from home. After claiming our minimum time,
the student du jour is usually mentally tired enough to bag the task.

We crawl home at well above glide slope, cross the finish cylinder and
revert to local flyers. Observe the wind sock, listen for traffic,
observe the neighborhood for other traffic (many times not on
frequency), and if all looks like we will not impinge on anyone else's
fun, we have been seen to thrill the front porch crowd.... with plenty
of time and savvy to convert speed to altitude, make a reversal, and
land in normal speed and configuration from our "low" downwind leg.
Not over campers, not over RVs, not over the clubhouse,
nor the town, etc.

The low downwind leg is not for the front porch crowd. It is our
celebration of having gotten home with enough extra to splurge,
without fouling anyone else's fun. That's the way the discussion
goes in our cockpit, at least.
I think that can be taught within the recreational or contesting
arena, and promotes a different outlook on zoomies that is still
consistent with safe operations.
(And hey, if it helps fill my schedule for the event, I don't mind!)

If we don't get home with that much reserve.... it doesn't happen.

Hoping to celebrate soaring(responsibly) a little next week . . .

Cindy

Old May 6th 05, 12:40 AM
Bruce

CindyASK wrote:
[...]

Cindy used the "R" word. I like that.

So many people who forget that we are responsible for our own destiny in the
cockpit. Especially it seems in the USA where there appears to be this
relentless urge to make every thing regulated to the point where anyone with the
self control and discipline of a six year old can participate safely.

Part of the pleasure for me is in working our what is responsible under the
circumstances, and doing better if possible. Have been known to spend an entire
afternoon flying 10 miles out and making a "final glide" - slowly getting the
energy picture wotrked out, and getting better at it.

As has been said before here - you can't regulate common sense. But practice
improves your luck immensely.

Fly safe.

--
Bruce Greeff