Anybody know the story behind this?

Old January 4th 04, 03:40 AM
Paul Tomblin

Default Anybody know the story behind this?

http://www.pibmug.com/files/wrongbutton1.jpg
http://www.pibmug.com/files/wrongbutton2.jpg

It looks like a F-18 trapped on a carrier but the Sidewinder kept going.
Anybody know why?

--
"The magic of usenet has never been its technology; and, only in part, its
reach. Its magic -- its power -- is based on the very real human connections
Old January 4th 04, 07:15 AM
Dale

In article ,
"Morgans" wrote:

Looks like good photo editing. Why would someone be taking a picture
forward, (second shot) and happen to get a perfectly framed sidewinder in
the shot, and second, how would they get it in the perfect shot. Also,
where is the fire coming out of the missile?

If I got a chance to get on the flightdeck you can bet I'd be burning
some film up.

As for fire coming out of the missle....it hasn't been fired, it just
came off on landing. This isn't the first time ordinance or fuel tanks
have come unglued on an arrested landing and won't be the last.

It might be fake but looks legit to me.

--
Dale L. Falk

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
as simply messing around with airplanes.

http://home.gci.net/~sncdfalk/flying.html

Old January 4th 04, 02:49 PM
Dan Luke

"Morgans" wrote:
Looks like good photo editing.

If it is, it's some of the best I've ever seen - I think it's for real.

(A Sidewinder costs about $84K:
http://people.howstuffworks.com/sidewinder1.htm )
--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old January 4th 04, 03:05 PM
Dan Luke

"Paul Tomblin" wrote:

Oops! Looks like someone took his eye off the ball. Wonder what the
passengers thought of that maneuver.

Very cool site, Paul. Thanks.

Old January 4th 04, 03:32 PM
Dan Luke

Oops! misposted.

Old January 4th 04, 06:32 PM
James M. Knox

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in
:

Also, where is the fire coming out of the missile?

It very obviously didn't fire. It appears that the missile broke loose
when the aircraft stopped and skipped down the deck.

Yeah, I think the thing that is "fake" is the label for the pictures, i.e.
"wrong button". Looks like what happened is that the F-18 landed hard
(which is saying something for a carrier landing anyway) and the release
bolts broke. The missile simply skidded across the deck, while the plane
stopped as it was supposed to do.

James M. Knox
TriSoft ph 512-385-0316
1109-A Shady Lane fax 512-366-4331
Austin, Tx 78721
Old January 4th 04, 07:58 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Morgans wrote:

Looks like good photo editing. Why would someone be taking a picture
forward, (second shot) and happen to get a perfectly framed sidewinder in
the shot, and second, how would they get it in the perfect shot.

Any decent autofocus 35mm (such as my Nikon N6006). You could probably get one
that would take those shots for about $300 at the PX. Any mediocre or better
photographer can "pan" the shots and get those results.

Also, where is the fire coming out of the missile?

It very obviously didn't fire. It appears that the missile broke loose when the
aircraft stopped and skipped down the deck.

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."