'Speed Pants'...

Old December 10th 05, 05:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default 'Speed Pants'...

("Kyle Boatright" wrote)
You'd need to have the thing rigged to fail in the "open" position, or an
electrical glitch could result in a landing that went crunch, instead of
chirp (or bounce, bounce, thud.)

If one were to open and one remain closed ...well now:

Let's see, if you landed on one wheel you'd maybe swing around to the closed
pant side. Unless you tapped the brakes, then I suppose you'd swing (pivot!)
around back to the free wheel side.

Talk about some nasty differential steering.

Montblack

Old December 10th 05, 06:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Montblack" wrote in message
Let's see, if you landed on one wheel you'd maybe swing around to the

closed
pant side. Unless you tapped the brakes, then I suppose you'd swing

(pivot!)
around back to the free wheel side.

I'm not sure you would even feel it if you landed with one or both doors
closed.

Old December 10th 05, 01:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"C.D.Damron" wrote in message

I'm not sure you would even feel it if you landed with one or both doors
closed.

True enough, but I am also not sure that you would not end up on your nose
or in a nasty ground loop. IMHO the added expense, complexity, and risk is not
worth the presumed 2 mph speed gain.

Vaughn

Old December 10th 05, 02:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

"Vaughn" wrote in message

"C.D.Damron" wrote in message news:vnumf.393883$084.251527@attbi_s22...

I'm not sure you would even feel it if you landed with one or both doors
closed.

True enough, but I am also not sure that you would not end up on your nose or in a nasty ground loop. IMHO the
added expense, complexity, and risk is not worth the presumed 2 mph speed gain.

Vaughn

I heard that leaving them closed for landing simply scrapes through the doors and the pilot didn't even notice. I don't
see any costs quoted, but I imagine they would cot a little more than simple pants.

I like the auto actuating ideas...

Old December 14th 05, 04:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

We switched from the Glasair wheel pants on our Glasair to the "pressure
recovery" kind sold by Van's for the RV. More streamlined shape and comes
down much lower on the wheel. Supposed to increase cruise speed 8 knots
over the Glasair pants but I doubt that we saw more than 1-2. They look
cool, however, and they are attached much better than the Glasair ones,
which were always loose on preflight and needed tightening.
".Blueskies." wrote in message
news
...originally for BD-4, but available for all. A little more speed for
that RV?

http://www.bedecorp.com/images/price...peed_pants.pdf

--
Dan DeVillers