Scattering Ashes

Old November 6th 06, 11:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chuck Patterson

Default Scattering Ashes

A friend died earlier this year and his widow has asked
that we scatter his ashes from a sailplane, preferably
an ASK 21. Does anyone have experience with this? Visions
of various ash scattering scenes from the movies come
to mind – scenes that I do not wish to reenact.

We have considered running a tube out the window thinking
that the ashes would be sucked out (have not tried
this yet). We have tried, using a bag of dirt, just
pushing the bag out the window and trying to get it
to empty into the airstream. That did not work. The
thought of flying without the canopy so the bag could
be more easily emptied in the airstream came to mind,
but I do not believe that operations without a canopy
are approved in the flight manual, and it might just
make an even bigger mess.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Chuck

Old November 7th 06, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
neil@avon=tech=solutions.co.nz

Chuck Patterson wrote:
A friend died earlier this year and his widow has asked
that we scatter his ashes from a sailplane, preferably
an ASK 21. Does anyone have experience with this? Visions
of various ash scattering scenes from the movies come
to mind - scenes that I do not wish to reenact.

We have considered running a tube out the window thinking
that the ashes would be sucked out (have not tried
this yet). We have tried, using a bag of dirt, just
pushing the bag out the window and trying to get it
to empty into the airstream. That did not work. The
thought of flying without the canopy so the bag could
be more easily emptied in the airstream came to mind,
but I do not believe that operations without a canopy
are approved in the flight manual, and it might just
make an even bigger mess.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Chuck

The ashes of one of our members was scattered from one of our G103's
earlier this year. The ashes were transferred to cylindrical "boxes"
that fine Whiskey bottles are sold in. These were pushed out through
the window and rotated/lightly shaken to disperse the ashes. It took
much longer than expected to complete the task.

One of the suggestions made by one of our members in preparation for
the flight was that a little side slip can help ensure the ashes do not
blow back into the cockpit although I don't know if this technique was
employed.

Best wishes for your friend's last flight.

--
Neil

Old November 7th 06, 01:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
DNewill

Several years ago our club supported a guest ride in a 2-33 with the
realtive handling the scattering. The ashes were in a screw top jar. The
flight was conducted with the passenger window down from launch. After
release, with 55 kts on the nose, the guest held the jar a max arms length
out the window, unscrewed the lid and "poof" ! The cloud of ash entered the
cockpit and despite having the vent open wide - seemed to be very present!
After landing we saw that the side of the plane was evenly coated with ash
as well! Not a good situation and the issue of washing the plane off
afterwards - when the guest had gone - was still quite uncomfortable.

Based on the above, I would not be inclined to do this at all. If it was
absolutly mandatory to do the spreading from an airplane, I might consider
having the remains in a piece of loosely folded tissue paper. The entire
pack would be pitched from the plane. Maybe with enough of a flip out the
vent, the pack would open at some distance from the fuselage - worst case is
the pack would lightly fall to the ground?

Old November 7th 06, 01:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Fred[_1_]

We have done it here (and will soon be doing it again, I regret to
say) by putting the ashes in a small brown Iunch bag), which in turn
has another small brown bag (same size) inverted over it. Strings to
bottoms of both bags, out the small window with a slight slip to the
right side, jerk the strings until the two bags separate and empty
their ashes, at which point you have a string with two brown bags
hanging from their bottoms. Neat and quick. Don't fly without the
canopy -- you'll have a cockpit full of ashes. And don't try to push
the ashes out the small vent window by the scoop full -- more inside
than out. Fred

Old November 7th 06, 02:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ray Lovinggood

Some months (years?) ago, 'FLYING' magazine had an
article in their 'I Learned About Flying From That'
column dealing with the distribution of ashes from
an aircraft. I think they used a funnel with the ashes
in it. The funnel was then sealed at both ends, I
think. They put the funnel in the vent window and
used foam rubber around it for a more or less air tight
seal. Somehow, they must have pulled the cover off
of the small end of the funnel to release the ashes
and they managed to spread the ashes to the sky and
not to the inside of the plane.

Something like that, anyway.

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA

Old November 7th 06, 05:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Chuck,
Real easy, Use the small-regular- Quaker Oats Oatmeal tubes. They are
cardboard. Take the top and bottom off. Cut the tube down both sides.
Stuff some paper in the bottom enough to make a plug. Tape the sides up
using scotch tape NOT duck tape. Just put two pieces accross the spit
not the length. Fill the tube with your friend. It will take more
than one tube. Put some paper in the top with just a little tape in a
couple of places to hold the paper. These things are a little on the
weak side so treat carefully. They will fit out most glider windows
and will open in the air if you have not over taped. If you release
them in a thermal the ashes and paper will climb up in the core. We
did this for Louis Stur in Sun Valley. There were six of us fllying
and he out climbed us to cloudbase.

Tom Dixon

Old November 7th 06, 09:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mal

The best thing is a tube like a postal tube hang that out the window it will
suck the ashes into the tube and out of the aircraft

Old November 7th 06, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper

"Mal" wrote in message
The best thing is a tube like a postal tube hang that out the window it
will suck the ashes into the tube and out of the aircraft

That really depends on the aircraft you're using. The ashes are abrasive, so
if the ash plume will hit the empennage or wing, then the tube idea is not
such a good option - - unless you plan on doing some refinish work soon.

bumper

Old November 7th 06, 04:57 PM
TowPilot185 TowPilot185 is offline
Junior Member

Location: Wichita, Kansas

Another method is the towel method. Parachute fabric works great. Take a long strip and roll the ashes in the material. Hold on to the end and let the fabric unroll out the window. This works in power planes. Depending on your window/vent ,i.e. 2-33 back window no problem, Grob 103 vent not going to work, this might work for you.
Old November 7th 06, 11:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I wish to know something more about the man, about his flying, his kids
and the widow.
I read all your ideas and they are not creative enough, but are sick
and funny enough.
I could get more creative (sick) then you, but I don't want to.
I think that it is just a morbid joke or a black humor to entertain or
amuse fellow pilots.
If it is real, it is better to place ashes in a hole in the ground in
the desert, or forest and the money saved on that scattering flight
should be given to some poor student pilot, who could use it for a few
tows. I know just right student glider pilot to send that $100 to, so
please contact me or leave a message if you wish to donate.
You can send to me the ashes too by UPS and I will take good care of
it.
There will be a good Karma for everyone.
Please send me the widow's address so I can contact her.
There is much to be done to help someone and not to offend anyone.
martin4949 at yahoo dot com

Andre, CFIG, CP, ASML, IA