Protestor Damages Enola Gay

Old December 17th 03, 08:35 AM
David Bromage

B2431 wrote:
History is replete with such examples. We don't need to be

politically correct
about artifacts, but we do need to save them.

Benjamin Franklin once said that for a civilised nation to prosper, it
must study its history impartially and learn from that knowledge. When a
nation ignores part of its history, no matter how unpalatable it is, it
ceases to be civilised. [If anybody has the exact quote, please let me
know.]

Winston Churchill put it is another way: "A nation that forgets its past
has no future."

Cheers
David

Old December 17th 03, 03:29 PM
José Herculano

The bombing was the better of two painful alternatives. The Cold War
continued to make the episode painful.

What gets me big-time ****ed-off is not even arguments to the contrary.
After all, in a free society, you are entitled to an opinion, however
idiotic it may or may not be. What gets me is the fact that there are people
out there willing to break things and raise hell against those who don't
think like them. Nothing but spoiled brats in need of a spanking.... (still
fuming)
_____________
José Herculano

Old December 17th 03, 10:17 PM
Tarver Engineering

"Bjørnar" wrote in message
"Gunnar" wrote in :

Why not simply include the wanted information in the exhibit ? It
seams like a small request to me.
It is after all true that 100+ thousand humans died because of this
plane/bomb.

Is history now politically uncorrect in the US ?

?

Civilian casualities is always a touchy subject for the winning
team. Just look at Irak and Afghanistan, somewhere between 10-20.000
civilians have died as a consequense of the US and allied bombings,
but it's hardly mentioned.

As a reminder, 3,000 died in the WTC attack.

And 5,000 Iraqi children died every year for ten years, for old Europe's
status quo.

What is your point? To do nothing was unacceptable.

Old December 17th 03, 10:22 PM
Stephen Harding

Gunnar wrote:
Why not simply include the wanted information in the exhibit ? It seams like
a small request to me.
It is after all true that 100+ thousand humans died because of this
plane/bomb.

Is history now politically uncorrect in the US ?

How many people did the B-17, or B-24, or Lancaster kill in WWII?

How about the Yak 9 or Ki-43 "Oscar"?

And let's not limit ourselves to WWII, or American aircraft?
There is history to document!

And why limit the "kill count" to nuclear deaths? Is someone
more tragically dead from radiation than from fire/metal/shock?

[Just out of curiosity, how many combat aircraft in Norwegian
museums have the numbers of people they killed as part of the
display?]

SMH

Old December 17th 03, 10:38 PM
Stephen Harding

José Herculano wrote:

What gets me big-time ****ed-off is not even arguments to the contrary.
After all, in a free society, you are entitled to an opinion, however
idiotic it may or may not be. What gets me is the fact that there are people
out there willing to break things and raise hell against those who don't
think like them. Nothing but spoiled brats in need of a spanking.... (still
fuming)

So true!

This is nothing more than a form of book burning, or shouting down
someone speaking from a different POV.

They ought to put on their jack boots and brown shirts when they
pull this crap, and at least look the part!

SMH

Old December 17th 03, 10:45 PM
Gregory Baker

José Herculano wrote:

The bombing was the better of two painful alternatives. The Cold War
continued to make the episode painful.

What gets me big-time ****ed-off is not even arguments to the contrary.
After all, in a free society, you are entitled to an opinion, however
idiotic it may or may not be. What gets me is the fact that there are people
out there willing to break things and raise hell against those who don't
think like them. Nothing but spoiled brats in need of a spanking.... (still
fuming)
José Herculano

Well, that's because they know the penalty is, at worst, five years'
probation from a U.S. District Court.

Enola Gay: Burnt flesh and other magnificent technological achievements me Military Aviation 146 January 15th 04 10:13 PM
Enola Gay: Burnt flesh and other magnificent technological ArtKramr Military Aviation 19 December 20th 03 02:47 AM
Japanese Whine Over Enola Gay Display [email protected] Military Aviation 42 December 19th 03 11:32 PM
enola gay Cub Driver Military Aviation 1 November 7th 03 01:01 AM
Enola Gay flies into new A-bomb controversy Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 August 21st 03 09:10 PM