Bendix King AV80R Display

Old October 18th 09, 08:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
johngalloway[_2_]

Default Bendix King AV80R Display

Does anyone know whether the LCD display for this unit is
transflective or transmissive?

Thanks,

John Galloway
Old October 18th 09, 08:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Hi John,

I don't have an answer to your question, but I can tell you that it is
significantly brighter in sunlight than my iPAQ 310. My iPAQ 310 is
significantly brighter than my iPAQ 4700.

You can read my review of the AV8OR and AV8OR ACE he
http://www.cumulus-soaring.com/pda.htm#AV8OR

Best Regards,

Paul Remde

Old October 18th 09, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Oct 18, 12:35*pm, johngalloway wrote:
Does anyone know whether the LCD display for this unit is
transflective or transmissive?

Thanks,

John Galloway

All those hits when you Google "AV80R transflective" did not convince
you?

Almost all modern displays are transrflective.

There is some very interesting display technoloy coming from Pixel Qi
that combines reflective mode with transflective. Essentially
monochrome with some color "hinting" in reflective mode. Georgeous
displays, high resolution, low power consumption. I expect they'll
find their ways into out cockpits through future netbook/tablet/PDA
type devices. www.pixelqi.com.

Darryl
Old October 18th 09, 09:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Oct 18, 12:39*pm, "Paul Remde" wrote:
Hi John,

I don't have an answer to your question, but I can tell you that it is
significantly brighter in sunlight than my iPAQ 310. *My iPAQ 310 is
significantly brighter than my iPAQ 4700.

You can read my review of the AV8OR and AV8OR ACE hehttp://www.cumulus-soaring.com/pda.htm#AV8OR

Best Regards,

Paul Remde

"johngalloway" wrote in message

Does anyone know whether the LCD display for this unit is
transflective or transmissive?

Thanks,

John Galloway- Hide quoted text -

If you want to see comparison pictures of the Ipaq 310, Ipaq 4700 to a
display that really is sunlight readable.

http://www.craggyaero.com/ultimate.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Old October 19th 09, 09:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
johngalloway[_2_]

On Oct 18, 8:51*pm, Darryl Ramm wrote:
On Oct 18, 12:35*pm, johngalloway wrote:

Does anyone know whether the LCD display for this unit is
transflective or transmissive?

Thanks,

John Galloway

All those hits when you Google "AV80R transflective" did not convince
you?

Almost all modern displays are transrflective.

There is some very interesting display technoloy coming from Pixel Qi
that combines reflective mode with transflective. Essentially
monochrome with some color "hinting" in reflective mode. Georgeous
displays, high resolution, low power consumption. I expect they'll
find their ways into out cockpits through future netbook/tablet/PDA
type devices.www.pixelqi.com.

Darryl

I get only a few hits to that search - many of them now point to my
own question, above, and and I can't find any that actually refer to
the AV80R and not another product also being sold.

The Ipaq 310 series isn't transflective.

What about Mirasol displays?

http://www.mirasoldisplays.com/index...technology.php

John Galloway

Old October 19th 09, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bildan

On Oct 19, 2:26*am, johngalloway wrote:
[...]

Mirasol falls in the general category of "Photonic Ink Displays".
See: http://www.technologyreview.com/energy/23754/ As I understand
it, Qualcomm doesn't see Mirasol as a large area display tech.

They're not yet ready for prime time yet but the promise is huge.
Besides being paper thin, they exhibit huge contrast and color
saturation in direct sunlight with trivial power consumption. In
other words, potentially a perfect glider cockpit display.

The present goal is a color E-Reader with the resolution and color
saturation of a magazine cover.
Old October 19th 09, 05:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Oct 19, 1:26*am, johngalloway wrote:
[...]

I'll agree this stuff *is* buried. I wish the manufacturers would just
list this info in their specs. Honeywell does for their higher-end
portable MFD's (transflective) but not that lower-end AV8OR. My Garmin
496 is transflective and Garmin has also randomly seems to describe
this in different product specs or not.

The iPAQ 310 series *is* transflective. As Google "iPAQ 310
tranflective" would lead you to think...(oh never mind :-)) or just
looking at it shows. The iPAQ 310 looks great indoors but does wash
out in sunlight. People disagree on the difference indoors and
outdoors between say the iPAQ 310 and iPAQ 4700. Both transflective.
But one difference is the backlight is cold cathode on the 4700 and
LED on the iPAQ 310. Some 4700 backlights will be showing their age
and losing brightness and the LED backlight has a "crisper" more
bluish-white color. For example I own two 4700 and a 310. The 310 to
me looks much better indoors than my 4700, but there is not much
difference in sunlight. This also depends on the person and their age
since the percieved contrast will vary.

Mirasole and other MEMS type displays may be coming but there are lots
of technical challenges to get new technology like this to market and
in a form factor interesting to us. I'll give all these guys more
credibility when I see them actually shipping displays in volume, for
cell phone and other small screen applications. Another company to
watch is Pixtronix. If this technology does make it to market it will
be interesting.

Darryl
Old October 20th 09, 03:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard[_9_]

On Oct 18, 12:35*pm, johngalloway wrote:
Does anyone know whether the LCD display for this unit is
transflective or transmissive?

Thanks,

John Galloway

John,

Sunlight readabiltiy of a display does not have that much to do with
Transflective or Transmissive.

The key items a

Touchscreen - extremely bad for sunlight readabiltiy produces
glare you can see this on most PDA and or phones. To see the
displays better you have to tilt them to get the correct light on the
screen.
Coatings on the Screen - coatings depending on the type significantly
reduce sunlight glare. 2 different coatings are required to have
good sunlight readability.
Contrast ratio - 11 to 1
Brightness - 1000 -1800 nits (cd/m2) this backlight will produce a
very readable screen.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old October 21st 09, 08:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
johngalloway[_2_]

On Oct 20, 3:59*pm, Richard wrote:
[...]

Richard, I like SeeYou Mobile and I like much about the Ultimate so
if it was smaller, cheaper and I lived in the US I would probably buy
one.

Why I asked the original question is that most references to the Ipaq
31* series that I have read describe the display as "transmissive"
although there are some that describe it as transflective which is how
the 4700 display is always described. I own both types and the
displays are clearly different in natu

The 4700 display shows up (rather dimly because the observer's pupils
are shut down) under direct sunlight and it makes virtually no
difference whether the backlight is on or off. It clearly works in a
reflective way. With the 310 the backlight must be on maximum to be
visible at all with the sun on the screen - and reflections mean that
the screen is unuseable in that scenario. (Fortunately it is easy to
angle the 310 in flight so that condition is rare)

On the other hand the 4700 has poorer full backlight brightness than
the 310 series and the latter has better visibility in indirect bright
sunlight.

The AV80R is just about affordable, a familiar size, seems to be
brighter than both of the above, runs SYM, and has the right
connectors for integrateing with glider instruments so if it has a
transflective screen (as seems likely) then I think it might be worth
considering. Pity about the low resolution however.

John Galloway
Old October 21st 09, 09:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Oct 21, 12:30*am, johngalloway wrote:
[...]

Again the 310 etc. is transflective. On a typical indoor computer
display that is transmissive, if you turn down fully the backlight you
will see nothing even with ambient light. That simple test is a bit
hard to do with the 310 since it never turns off the backlight fully.

All the popular PNA and aviation portable displays are transflective.

I think this fixation has evolved from earlier iPAQs that had
reflective color displays (with front-light technology for indoor/
night use) and they had benefits in sunlight compared to later PDAs
with transflective displays. Now your options are all likely
transflective, so like Richard says it is other stuff you shoud worry
about. So many thigns in fact, and so dependent on individual vision
that it is often a good idea to look at what you are considering
buying (in direct sunlight if needed).

Darryl

Bendix/King survey Jim Burns Owning 1 May 9th 06 03:11 AM
value of Bendix / King klx100 mah Aviation Marketplace 1 December 19th 03 03:19 AM
WTB: Garmin GPSCOM 190 or Bendix/King KLX-100 Derrick Aviation Marketplace 0 November 27th 03 01:17 PM
Bendix King GPS Updates Matthew Waugh Instrument Flight Rules 1 August 5th 03 06:11 PM
Bendix King GPS Updates Matthew Waugh Owning 1 August 5th 03 06:11 PM