The Mustang Suite is done!

Old January 10th 04, 09:45 PM
Jay Honeck

Default The Mustang Suite is done!

***CAUTION -- SHAMELESS PLUG WARNING ***

I've been promising this one for six months -- and we have finally finished
the Mustang Suite!

We took our most popular suite (it's popular because it's our smallest,
cheapest Jacuzzi suite) and loaded it up with new wall paper border,
carpeting, window treatments, bedding, furniture, and -- of course -- a
bunch of P-51 Mustang artwork! Got some really nice Stan Stokes stuff in
this one...

Didn't raise the price, neither... See it at
http://www.alexisparkinn.com/the_mustang_suite.htm

Best of all -- this group's very own Vlado Lenoch has donated a bunch of
P-51 Mustang parts to us, for inclusion in the suite! We have designed a
shadow box to display these priceless artifacts (One unusual device: Vlado
gave us something called a "Circuit Destroyer" -- an explosive device that
would destroy the Mustang's electrical system if its pilot thought his plane
was in danger of being captured!), and will have it wall-mounted by the end
of next week -- making this our coolest suite yet. Thanks, Vlado!

Next up: The awesome Blackbird Suite -- which will be chock-full of stuff
donated to us by Bill Fox, project coordinator at the Lockheed Skunkworks
for over 30 years. Wait'll you see THAT one!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 10th 04, 10:53 PM
Jim Weir

What you need now is to put the key on a genuine "call tag" from the ORIGINAL
Mustang "suites" over by Reno...I'll see if I can bag one for you next time I go
over.

Jim

"Jay Honeck"

-

http://www.rst-engr.com
Old January 11th 04, 12:12 AM
Tom Sixkiller

WOW!!
That's the room I want when I come there!!

Old January 11th 04, 02:00 AM
Dudley Henriques

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
***CAUTION -- SHAMELESS PLUG WARNING ***

I've been promising this one for six months -- and we have finally

finished
the Mustang Suite!

I'm still trying to figure out how you and Vlado got that Jacuzzi into the
Mustang....and where the hell you put it!!! :-))))

How are you doing with your life's dream out there Jay? I hope everything's
going well with you and yours and that the venture is taking off for you.
(no pun intended :-)
All the best to you for the coming year.
Dudley

Old January 11th 04, 02:21 AM
Marc Lattoni

Looks like a wonderful suite.

Some day I'll find a reason to visit the Alexis Park Inn.

Marc

Old January 11th 04, 02:39 AM
Jay Honeck

I'm still trying to figure out how you and Vlado got that Jacuzzi into the
Mustang....and where the hell you put it!!! :-))))

Vlado told us that when you remove the armor and weaponry from a Mustang,
the C.G. would be "off".

So, we put the Jacuzzi in where the machine guns used to be! :-)

How are you doing with your life's dream out there Jay? I hope

everything's
going well with you and yours and that the venture is taking off for you.

We had a fabulous first year -- we didn't go broke! (As anyone who has ever
started a business knows, that's pretty unusual...) In fact, we were so
danged busy that we fell WAY behind in our remodeling schedule. We had
hoped to have 10 - 12 theme suites done by now -- instead we've just opened
out eighth...

We DID add a new meeting room that we hadn't planned on, however, so I guess
you could call that our "ninth" room. (It's decorated with cool vintage
United Airlines ads from the 30s and 40s, by the way, in commemoration of
United's key role in the development of Iowa City's airport. It's amazing
what you can find on Ebay!)

'Tis now the "off-season," however, so we've got plenty of time to work on
the suites, without too many of those pesky guests around to get in our way!
:-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 11th 04, 03:38 AM
Dudley Henriques

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message
I'm still trying to figure out how you and Vlado got that Jacuzzi into

the
Mustang....and where the hell you put it!!! :-))))

Vlado told us that when you remove the armor and weaponry from a Mustang,
the C.G. would be "off".

So, we put the Jacuzzi in where the machine guns used to be! :-)

He was right about the cg. The civilian 51's have a different cg than the
military versions and have to be handled carefully on landing because of it.
Putting a "cuzzi" in a 51 might not be a bad idea at that. I know Clay Lacy
used to fly around with a huge stuffed Snoopy dog in the back of his purple
"Omni" sponsered Mustang. The girls LOVED it!!!
You know, I think your idea, and what you have done with it is just great.
My wife and I talked for many years about doing something similar but we
just never did it. I knew a guy once who did what you have done. His name
was Bill Whitsell, and the place he put together was Flying W Ranch in New
Jersey. It's still there, although not nearly what it used to be. It had
everything! Airplane shaped pool; horseback riding; a beautiful strip; a
great full service restraunt; and a hotel upstairs. I was instructing there
for a while for him. Bill was a retired Eastern Airlines pilot. I remember
Bob Cummings, the movie actor flew in one day in a D18 Beech and Bill got
him involved in the place in about five minutes. We took the Beech in trade
on an Aztec, and Cummings liked the place so much we thought he's never
leave! :-)

[...]

Sounds wonderful! Best of luck with it.
Dudley

Old January 12th 04, 06:17 AM
Jack Allison

Looks cool Jay! Just may have plan a stop in Iowa City on our way to Osh
'04. I know, book early... :-)

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old January 12th 04, 04:48 PM
Corky Scott

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 02:38:04 GMT, "Dudley Henriques"
wrote:

I knew a guy once who did what you have done. His name
was Bill Whitsell, and the place he put together was Flying W Ranch in New
Jersey. It's still there, although not nearly what it used to be. It had
everything! Airplane shaped pool; horseback riding; a beautiful strip; a
great full service restraunt; and a hotel upstairs. I was instructing there
for a while for him. Bill was a retired Eastern Airlines pilot. I remember
Bob Cummings, the movie actor flew in one day in a D18 Beech and Bill got
him involved in the place in about five minutes. We took the Beech in trade
on an Aztec, and Cummings liked the place so much we thought he's never
leave! :-)

I've eaten there, when I was a kid, had a big family dinner there.
Probably was my father's idea, him being the ex Navy pilot. It had a
HUGE plate glass window overlooking the runway. While we were eating,
a staggerwing beech took off and rattled the entire room as it roared
by. Seemed like the restaurant was right close to the runway.

I also remember seeing the airplane shaped pool.

Corky Scott