C-130 accident

Old January 9th 05, 02:08 PM
Jay Honeck

Default C-130 accident

http://alexisparkinn.com/c-130_accident.htm

The pictures of this remarkable crash were forwarded to me by a fellow who
is apparently in Iraq, judging by his assessment of the situation. (I've
seen these pix posted in other places, but not with the details he
provided.)

The C-130 in question made a night landing on a closed -- but not NOTAM'd as
such -- runway. The results are obvious.

It's amazing -- the NOTAM system in Iraq doesn't seem to work any better
than the one in the U.S. Although -- unless we live in Chicago -- we
usually don't worry about runways being ripped up in the middle of the
night.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 9th 05, 03:34 PM
C J Campbell

I would not bet on the plane being totaled. I have seen worse brought back
into service.

Old January 9th 05, 03:38 PM
Jose

Jay, =why= do you use dark blue background with black type? Even
highlighting it didn't improve the contrast - the only way I could
read it was to copy it to Notepad!

Jose
--
Money: What you need when you run out of brains.
Old January 9th 05, 03:51 PM
Newps

Jose wrote:
Jay, =why= do you use dark blue background with black type? Even
highlighting it didn't improve the contrast - the only way I could read
it was to copy it to Notepad!

Easily read. I'd call that light blue. Even the darker blue text is
easily readable.
Old January 9th 05, 03:57 PM
Jose

Easily read. I'd call that light blue. Even the darker blue text is easily readable.

Maybe on your machine, but not on mine, which is the whole point of
web design. It's not like the printed page, where what the designer
wants is what the reader gets. The web designer =must= take into
account the fact that the site will be viewed on a wide variety of
machines, which are set up differently for a myriad of good reasons.

Jose
--
Money: What you need when you run out of brains.
Old January 9th 05, 04:16 PM
John Harlow

Jay, =why= do you use dark blue background with black type?

There are some features which are just better left unused. Background
coloring is one IMHO.

When in doubt, look at ebay

Old January 9th 05, 04:28 PM
Bob Moore

Newps wrote

Jose wrote:
Jay, =why= do you use dark blue background with black type? Even
highlighting it didn't improve the contrast - the only way I could read
it was to copy it to Notepad!

Easily read. I'd call that light blue. Even the darker blue text is
easily readable.

Almost unreadable on my screen.

Bob Moore

Old January 9th 05, 06:26 PM
Jay Honeck

Easily read. I'd call that light blue. Even the darker blue text is
easily readable.

Maybe on your machine, but not on mine, which is the whole point of web
design. It's not like the printed page, where what the designer wants is
what the reader gets. The web designer =must= take into account the fact
that the site will be viewed on a wide variety of machines, which are set
up differently for a myriad of good reasons.

Thanks for the input, Jose. It looks fine on my machine (obviously!) --
what kind of monitor are you using?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old January 9th 05, 06:27 PM
Flyin'8

A lifelong buddy of mine has flown on that particular C130 many time
when he was on active duty. He said this plane was a MC-130H Combat
Talon II. He sent me the pictures of this last week in an email. He
said he had flown on that plane many time out of Hurlburt Field. He
said noone was killed but there were some injuries. He was trying to
find out if any of his military buddies were on board. Really hits
home when you are that close to it. Yikes. Kinda freaky ya know.

http://alexisparkinn.com/c-130_accident.htm

The pictures of this remarkable crash were forwarded to me by a fellow who
is apparently in Iraq, judging by his assessment of the situation. (I've
seen these pix posted in other places, but not with the details he
provided.)

The C-130 in question made a night landing on a closed -- but not NOTAM'd as
such -- runway. The results are obvious.

It's amazing -- the NOTAM system in Iraq doesn't seem to work any better
than the one in the U.S. Although -- unless we live in Chicago -- we
usually don't worry about runways being ripped up in the middle of the
night.

Mike Alexander
PP-ASEL
Temecula, CA
Old January 9th 05, 06:43 PM
Jose

Thanks for the input, Jose. It looks fine on my machine (obviously!) --
what kind of monitor are you using?

Always glad to help. I've got a 21 inch Dell monitor, set for
1600x1200 dots, brightness of 50 and contrast of 100 (out of 100). I
face the corner of the room, there is a window just to my right which
faces South and looks out on snow (ah, tis the season). But even with
the shades drawn (which I shouln't have to do) it's dark on dark.

Jose
--
Money: What you need when you run out of brains.