Hard wax v/s liquid wax

Old August 30th 18, 08:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

Default Hard wax v/s liquid wax (and turbulators)

On Thursday, August 30, 2018 at 2:30:44 PM UTC-4, wrote:
...My old PIK-20 was a bit better with 400 surface than polished.
When it would drop off in climb, I'd scuff with 400 back about 4 inches
and the climb got better.

Hank! That's a hell of away to remove bugs!

I haven't see any other airfoils that showed that characteristic.

Only because newer aircraft owners won't let you try it.
Old August 30th 18, 09:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

On Thursday, August 30, 2018 at 3:56:25 PM UTC-4, Steve Leonard wrote:
On Thursday, August 30, 2018 at 12:26:43 PM UTC-5, kirk.stant wrote:

"It's more fun to win in a ratty looking glider than to lose in a perfect
one"

Dan Sazhin, I think you need to put that on a tee shirt!

Micro-turbulated LS3. Currently being "restored", so we'll have a before/after example.

Old August 31st 18, 02:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

I believe the SGS-1-35 (and others) had the same/similar airfoil. They did not seem to do well with a waxed surface, even worse when wet/bugged.
Sorta along the lines of the dimples on a golf ball, a little roughness reduced the huge drag at airflow separation. Better a little when/where you want it, than a huge trip somewhere else.

An old trick was to clean the wing, then sponge down with liquid soap to about the spar. Then, if it rained, the water sheeted instead of beaded. The L/D dropped, but not as bad.

Good example, years ago at Mifflin PA, from the SE returning home, a flight of about 6. A couple ASW-20's, I believe Ventus, an LS-6 and a 1-35.
8 miles out, we hit a little rain. The glass ships all got marginal on final glide, the 1-35 sank fast compared to us. We crossed the last ridge OK, the 1-35 had some trouble.

As to blow holes, they are more like a "variable turbulator strip", the amount they trip the airflow is roughly linear with the airspeed.
Old September 1st 18, 04:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soartech

Default Hard wax v/s liquid wax

Getting back to "what is hard wax?" M&H tells me it is also known as Jeweler's rouge, a stick of a very hard wax that contains a very fine abrasive such as iron oxide (reddish brown) and is used with a cloth wheel to polish metals (or gelcoat).
It is totally different from softer, protective waxes such as paste wax, Carnuba, etc. and is used as a polishing agent, not for protection.
Old September 1st 18, 05:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud

What is recommended for polyurethane finishes?
Old September 1st 18, 07:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Non silicone containing good quality (preferably UV filtering) car hand application polish is ideal for PU.
Old September 1st 18, 01:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Friday, August 31, 2018 at 11:38:56 PM UTC-4, Soartech wrote:
Getting back to "what is hard wax?" M&H tells me it is also known as Jeweler's rouge, a stick of a very hard wax that contains a very fine abrasive such as iron oxide (reddish brown) and is used with a cloth wheel to polish metals (or gelcoat).
It is totally different from softer, protective waxes such as paste wax, Carnuba, etc. and is used as a polishing agent, not for protection.

The rouge provides polishing action and the wax carrier is deposited on, and worked into the surface by the resulting heat of polishing. This seals the gelcoat.
After completing, I usually go over with Scotchgard Marine Liquid wax to do final clean up and provide added protection. I think M&H does the same thing.
UH
Old September 2nd 18, 12:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, August 28, 2018 at 8:30:22 AM UTC-4, FranCP wrote:
Hi,
Can hard wax be replaced by liquid wax application? Of course silicon free, as well as other harmfull adds.
Although i've seen guys maintaining their gliders purely on applying liquid wax regularly, i guess it wont seal & protect the gelcoat as well as a good anual hard wax buffing.
¿Any advice?
Thanks

Is there any evidence that waxing is beneficial - or is it just part of the lore?
Old September 2nd 18, 01:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, September 2, 2018 at 7:15:52 AM UTC-4, wrote:
On Tuesday, August 28, 2018 at 8:30:22 AM UTC-4, FranCP wrote:
Hi,
Can hard wax be replaced by liquid wax application? Of course silicon free, as well as other harmfull adds.
Although i've seen guys maintaining their gliders purely on applying liquid wax regularly, i guess it wont seal & protect the gelcoat as well as a good anual hard wax buffing.
¿Any advice?
Thanks

Is there any evidence that waxing is beneficial - or is it just part of the lore?

In my case almost 40 years of observing and evaluating the condition of polyester finishes that have and have not been kept well polished and waxed.
Polished and waxed is far superior.
UH

Saturn V S-IC Stage Liquid Oxygen Tank 6414299.jpg [email protected] Aviation Photos 0 April 12th 07 01:32 AM
Saturn I Liquid-Oxygen (LOX) Tank 6000382.jpg [email protected] Aviation Photos 0 April 10th 07 09:59 PM
Liquid oxygen equipment for glider Bruno Maes Soaring 14 February 25th 07 05:46 PM
Liquid Shim Boelkowj Home Built 1 April 17th 04 06:30 AM
Liquid to liquid coolers Paul Millner Home Built 2 July 5th 03 02:32 PM