I met US Navy aircraft during Iran-Iraq war

Old July 29th 07, 08:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Amir - Iranian F-4 pilot

Default I met US Navy aircraft during Iran-Iraq war

In the last days of war with Iraq,US Navy entered the war against us,
let me tell you an unbelievable story in which US Fighter ran after me
for half an hour but this adventure ended in safety without any
noticable accidence.
Here is the story:
I was patrolling the area with my phantom F-4E according to the daily
airbase program and also air support for our Navy cruisers.I got in
touch with ground radar that suddenly it announced that unknown
aircraft is closing to you, be carefull and wait for following
command,
I hadn't this aircraft on my radar but it seems not to be an Iraqi
plane, because it was coming from a point in which Iraq had no base, I
was waiting for ground radar decision
this bird was closing to me more and more, so I decided to increse my
distance with him.Meanwhile the ground radar announced me that it is a
US Navy aircraft,so not try to engage with it otherwise he wants to
fire against you, so I reduced my speed to understand his plan
The mentioned aircraft closed our airbase danger zone and two F-14
Tomcats took off for contrast and headed in his direction, but they
watched us if any engagement occured they would enter the scene, the
ground radar told me to come back to our SAM sites and let him follw
you,
As I thaught this US pilot was stubborn and was following me and was
entering our trap,
F-14s tried to lock on him, but he could brake radar lock and went on,
meanwhile F-14 pilot suddenly announced '' I have a good lock on him
and ready to fire.."
the order was negative for fire,because such decision had bad backwash
for us, moreover it hadn't entered our air sanctum,
this stressing seconds continued untill suddenly he turned back and
left the scene...
this decision arises from 2 main reasons,first he had become aware of
our plan and our SAM sites as a trap for him,second, F-14 locked on
him and if he had wanted to fire, he would have been shut
so it was a big risk for him to enter this adventure lonely
I will be glad to see your opinions again from my stories
Amir Retired Iranian F-4 pilot