ASR Approach - Doing the Controller a Favor

Old July 26th 08, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

Default ASR Approach - Doing the Controller a Favor

I was asked if I would accept an ASR approach into a satellite airport
for controller training. I said, sure no problem. I got a wide
vector that put me on a 15 mile final. The controller gave me a "10
miles from airport, complete pre-landing checklist". I've never heard
that one before - it was a military radar facility.

Anyway, I reported the airport in sight about 8 miles out and the
controller terminated me and gave me the standard "squawk VFR,
frequency change approved".

My question is: Should I have waited to report "airport in sight"?
The tone in the controllers voice gave me the impression that I
somewhat ruined the training for the rookie by reporting the airport
for far out. I was 8 miles out at 1500, the mins were 440 feet and
one mile from the runway.

In hindsight, I wish I would have asked the controller if they wanted
to continue the ASR to mins. Is "airport in sight" the magic phrase
that cue the controller to let me go?

Thanks

Chris
Mooney N9373M

Old July 27th 08, 05:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Robert M. Gary

On Jul 26, 1:08*pm, wrote:
[...]

Yea, the guy was probably either getting behind on his currency or
wanted to demo an ASR approach to a trainee.

-Robert
Old July 28th 08, 08:42 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On Sat, 26 Jul 2008 16:08:52 -0400, am wrote:

[...]

I've flown ASRs many times for trainees. At the primary airport I
never report "airport in sight" and for other's it'd be at the
absolute minimum. OTOH when flying into two of the locals I lose RADAR
well before minimums.

I figure if they want to use me for training they want "full use" and
boy is it difficult to sit there watching the localizer (or runway in
visual conditions) moving back and fourth. It's difficult not to fly
it visually when you can see where you want to go is not where the
trainee is sending you:-))

If in doubt, ask but the general idea is training. Thinking in that
direction, does the instructor have you raise the hood before MDA or
DH?

Thanks

Chris
Mooney N9373M