Filing IFR flight Plan in VMC

Old July 28th 08, 11:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Robert M. Gary

Default Filing IFR flight Plan in VMC

On Jul 28, 12:15*pm, "Howard" wrote:

Which raises the question "is the safety pilot PIC" if the pilot operating
the controls with a vision restricting device is has not met the 6/6
requirement? You are VFR but operating under an IFR clearance for the
purposes of the practice approaches. Who has legally accepted the
approaches?-

Most of the time practice instrument approaches are practiced under
VFR. If you want to practice them under IFR you must ask specifically
for an instrument clearance. You will know you have an instrument
clearance because the controller will say "Cleared to foobar airport,
via...". Probably 90% of all practice instrument approach practice is
done under VFR.

Note that "IFR" refers to flight rules and has nothing to do with
weather. The term "IMC" is used to refer to wx conditions less than
VFR.

-Robert, CFII
Old July 29th 08, 12:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
B A R R Y[_2_]

Mark Hansen wrote:

You do not have to be under an IFR clearance to practice approaches. In
fact, some controllers will say "Practice Approach Approved" rather than
the normal "Cleared for the approach" to make this point clear.

That matches my experience.

You're still VFR while flying IFR practice approaches. No separation or
terrain warning is provided.

My local guys usually say "Cleared for the ILS XX practice approach,
remain VFR".

Real requests for approach usually include the "Are you rated and
equipped?" query if you're not arriving on an IFR plan.
Old July 29th 08, 12:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
B A R R Y[_2_]

Cyberfly via AviationKB.com wrote:
The premise is
that it is not illegal to file an IFR plan and fly it VMC while keeping VFR
the entire time. It is very "ILLEGAL" to file IFR flight plan and fly in IMC
without either your IFR ticket or an IFR rated instructor.

One of the problems is actual clouds.

On an IFR plan, there are no cloud clearance requirements, and you can't
simply climb and descend at will to avoid them.

On an IFR plan, you are expected to go THROUGH even the occasional
cloud, which you can't do.
Old July 29th 08, 12:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

B A R R Y wrote:

You're still VFR while flying IFR practice approaches. No separation
or terrain warning is provided.

FAA policy is to provide separation to VFR aircraft while conducting
practice instrument approaches where it is practical to do so. Generally,
that means Class D airspace or higher with good radar coverage.

Real requests for approach usually include the "Are you rated and
equipped?" query if you're not arriving on an IFR plan.

Shouldn't be. It is reasonable to assume the pilot is capable of the
service he requests. There is a requirement to ask the pilot if he is
qualified for and capable of conducting IFR flight when a VFR aircraft
requests radar assistance when it encounters or is about to encounter IFR
weather conditions. But in that case it's the controller that's suggesting
IFR, not the pilot requesting it.

Old July 29th 08, 12:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
B A R R Y[_2_]

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:
B A R R Y wrote:
You're still VFR while flying IFR practice approaches. No separation
or terrain warning is provided.

FAA policy is to provide separation to VFR aircraft while conducting
practice instrument approaches where it is practical to do so. Generally,
that means Class D airspace or higher with good radar coverage.

It very well could be traffic volume, but I am often specifically told
"no separation services..." by PVD and BDL during practice approaches.

I appreciate the clarification as I hear it so often I thought it was SOP.

Real requests for approach usually include the "Are you rated and
equipped?" query if you're not arriving on an IFR plan.

Shouldn't be. It is reasonable to assume the pilot is capable of the
service he requests. There is a requirement to ask the pilot if he is
qualified for and capable of conducting IFR flight when a VFR aircraft
requests radar assistance when it encounters or is about to encounter IFR
weather conditions. But in that case it's the controller that's suggesting
IFR, not the pilot requesting it.

That's what I'm talking about. A VFR aircraft arriving at an IFR
airport, so it needs an IFR approach. This is very common on Cape Cod
and the Islands. I hear Cape and Boston approach ask the question so
often, my rarely flying pax even know what it means.
Old July 29th 08, 01:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

B A R R Y wrote:

That's what I'm talking about. A VFR aircraft arriving at an IFR
airport, so it needs an IFR approach. This is very common on Cape Cod
and the Islands. I hear Cape and Boston approach ask the question so
often, my rarely flying pax even know what it means.

Apparently an unnecessary local custom.

Old July 29th 08, 01:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Hamish Reid

In article ,
B A R R Y wrote:

Mark Hansen wrote:

You do not have to be under an IFR clearance to practice approaches. In
fact, some controllers will say "Practice Approach Approved" rather than
the normal "Cleared for the approach" to make this point clear.

That matches my experience.

You're still VFR while flying IFR practice approaches. No separation or
terrain warning is provided.

My local guys usually say "Cleared for the ILS XX practice approach,
remain VFR".

Real requests for approach usually include the "Are you rated and
equipped?" query if you're not arriving on an IFR plan.

Hmmm. 'Round here I don't think I've ever heard a controller ask that,
and I've certainly never been asked it with any of the (fairly frequent)
pop-up approach requests I've gotten because of the coastal stratus back
into Oakland (KOAK) on flights that started VFR. Occasionally NorCal
Approach will respond by asking me if I want a full clearance or just
want a practice approach, which I usually interpret as the controller
having a full plate and wondering whether it's really IMC out there and
hinting I could get slotted in much easier if I did a practice
approach....

Hamish
Old July 29th 08, 01:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
B A R R Y[_2_]

Steven P. McNicoll wrote:

Apparently an unnecessary local custom.

Wouldn't be the first...

Old July 29th 08, 02:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Robert M. Gary

On Jul 28, 4:17*pm, B A R R Y wrote:

You're still VFR while flying IFR practice approaches. *No separation or
terrain warning is provided.

Usually they will provide seperation. We have one airport that, even
when VFR, the controller will say "no separation services provide,
cleared for the ILS runway..."

My local guys usually say "Cleared for the ILS XX practice approach,
remain VFR".

Which is odd because you are always VFR unless he issues you a
claranace. I understand the meaning but its not technically correct.

Real requests for approach usually include the "Are you rated and
equipped?" query if you're not arriving on an IFR plan.

I've never, ever been asked that in the US. Its customary in Mexico to
ask that when picking up an IFR clearance (not sure what they would do
if I said no )

-Robert
Old July 29th 08, 02:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Robert M. Gary

On Jul 28, 4:20*pm, B A R R Y wrote:

On an IFR plan, you are expected to go THROUGH even the occasional
cloud, which you can't do.

I would have thought that until the FAA ruled that helo instrument
students can file an IFR flight plan in a VFR only helicopter for the
purpose of flight training as long as they stay VMC. Go figure.

-Robert, CFII