Gene Hammond

Old November 17th 20, 04:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

Default Gene Hammond

SSA Life Member, Leader, and Hall of Fame Member, Gene Hammond passed away Novermber 12th.

https://www.themaplefuneralhome.com/...nd/#!/Obituary

https://soaringmuseum.org/pdf/hof/pdf44_pdfbio.pdf
Old November 17th 20, 11:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Chip Bearden[_2_]

I hadn't seen Gene in many years but I well remember him from what's now referred to as "the old days." I met him in the 1970s on the regional contest circuit in the Midwest (possibly at a rained out Chicago Glider Council meet in 1972), flew against him at the national level in the 1980s, and served on the SSA Board with him in the 1990s. He was a very good pilot and a devoted member of the SSA. Reading his Hall of Fame citation will give you an idea of the breadth and depth of his contributions.

I have a funny story that I hope won't be interpreted the wrong way. I was in an SSA Board meeting when the subject of changing the eligibility for junior membership, with its discounted rate. I can't recall the details but it might have been changing from "full-time student status" to a straight age limit (now 22 and younger).

After a good deal of debate (SSA directors are like any other group of elected officials: sometimes they just like to hear themselves talk), Gene expressed his concern that this change could encourage young people not to stay in college. Other directors were merciless in teasing him about how farfetched this was and Gene quickly concurred, smiling ruefully. His heart was in the right place.

That's how I remember Gene: his heart was always in the right place when it came to soaring, soaring safety (especially), government liaison, youth soaring, contest management, and all of the other things he did to support and serve the SSA in a tireless and exceptional manner. Condolences to his family and friends on this loss.

Chip Bearden
JB
Old November 18th 20, 01:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JC Harrison

On Tuesday, November 17, 2020 at 11:51:12 AM UTC-5, Frank Whiteley wrote:
SSA Life Member, Leader, and Hall of Fame Member, Gene Hammond passed away Novermber 12th.

https://www.themaplefuneralhome.com/...nd/#!/Obituary

https://soaringmuseum.org/pdf/hof/pdf44_pdfbio.pdf

Very Sorry to hear of his passing

AE