Colour Blind

Old August 27th 03, 07:12 PM
treefroginometry

Default Colour Blind

Hi all,

I had an eye test a few years ago (about 10), it confirmed that I'm
red/green colour blind. Which I don't understand as I CAN see red and green.
Anyway, this news destroyed my life long ambition of becoming a pilot. Not
all was lost though, I developed an interest in PC flight simulators which
lead to a successful career in computing. There's a small consolation for
other's in the same situation ;o)

So, on to the point of this post.

I don't know if the medical "classes" are the same worlwide so this might be
a UK specific question.

Aparently because of my eye problem, I can only qualify for a class 2
medical?
What does this mean?

I presume flying at night is ruled out but what about IMC? Can I get a CPL
for daytime flight?

Thankyou,

Nathan

Old August 27th 03, 07:26 PM
Ron Natalie

"treefroginometry" wrote in message ...
Hi all,

I had an eye test a few years ago (about 10), it confirmed that I'm
red/green colour blind. Which I don't understand as I CAN see red and green.
Anyway, this news destroyed my life long ambition of becoming a pilot.

In the US this wouldn't stop you, but since you are in the UK I wont elaborate
on the american issues.

Old August 27th 03, 08:03 PM
Paul Catley

"treefroginometry" wrote in message
I don't know if the medical "classes" are the same worlwide so this might be
a UK specific question.

The medical classes are specific to the JAA member states, i.e. Europe-wide.

Aparently because of my eye problem, I can only qualify for a class 2
medical?
What does this mean?

It means you are limited to obtaining a private pilot licence:
http://www.caa.co.uk/srg/med/default.asp?page=526

I presume flying at night is ruled out but what about IMC? Can I get a CPL
for daytime flight?

No. You can get a PPL, but it will be restricted to daytime flight. Apparently
the restriction was previously more stringent, restricted to VFR only, but this
has been dropped, so an IMC rating should be possible:
http://www.caa.co.uk/srg/med/default.asp?page=538
(Class 2 visual standards in PDF format)

If you're borderline with the colour vision, you might be able to pass the
lantern test thingy, in which case you can have a Class 1 medical certificate
after all.

--
Paul

Old August 27th 03, 08:18 PM
John Harlow

If you're borderline with the colour vision, you might be able to pass the
lantern test thingy, in which case you can have a Class 1 medical

certificate
after all.

I always heard the lantern test was harder than the paper tests. Here in
the US, one can get a waiver if they go to a control tower with an FAA rep
and correctly interpret light gun signals - maybe there is a similar thing
there?

Old August 27th 03, 08:50 PM
treefroginometry

Thanks Paul.

You've given me at least some hope. I suppose I can live with just a PPL, who wants to actualy get paid to fly anyway!
I might drive down to my local airport and try to distinguish between the red and green wing lights. I can't remember which side is which so that'll mean I can't strain until white becomes green. )

Although, if anybody has a spare pair of eyeballs they don't use...?

Thanks Again,

Nathan

Old August 27th 03, 08:54 PM
treefroginometry

"Peter" wrote in message

"John Harlow" wrote

I always heard the lantern test was harder than the paper tests.

I had both and for me the lantern test was *far* easier than the
isihara plates.

I don't think the latter are meaningful in relation to flying; they
are a lot cheaper for the doctor than the official light source
though. I failed the plates thoroughly despite being able to see all
colours in reality, and passing the lantern test to Class 1 standard.

grin
I'm excited now, off to the airfield it is. I'll let you all know how it
goes.

Thankyou.

Old August 27th 03, 10:24 PM
John Galban

"treefroginometry" wrote in message ...

I had an eye test a few years ago (about 10), it confirmed that I'm
red/green colour blind. Which I don't understand as I CAN see red and green.

Color (or colour) blindness is a misnomer. What it really means is
that your eyes detect certain colors at different frequencies than the
other 85% of the population. It doesn't mean that you are "blind" to
certain colors. The usual test for color blindness is the Ishihara
test. That is the one with patterns of numbers hidden in colored dot
patterns. With your color frequency shift, you have trouble
determining the difference between certain shades of the same color.
Therefore, you cannot distinguish between the dots that form the
number pattern and the surrounding dots. Oddly enough, since color
blindness is a frequency shift, rather than an actual blindness, there
are specially designed dot patterns where you will be able to see the
number pattern, yet those with "normal" color vision cannot.

Many people who cannot pass the Ishihara (one of the more sensitive
tests) can pass alternate color tests, such as the Farnsworth Lantern
test. I cannot pass an Ishihara, but easily passed the FAA's light
signal test and received a "Statement of Demonstrated Abilility"
(SODA). This removes the color test requirements from my medical
examination.

I don't know what the procedures are in the U.K., but you may want
to check and see if there are any alternatives to the standard test.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old August 28th 03, 02:28 AM
John Galban

"treefroginometry" wrote in message ...
Thanks Paul.

You've given me at least some hope. I suppose I can live with just a
PPL, who wants to actualy get paid to fly anyway!
I might drive down to my local airport and try to distinguish between
the red and green wing lights. I can't remember which side is which so
that'll mean I can't strain until white becomes green. )

Nathan,

For aviation purposes, most practical tests have you differentiate
between aviation green, white and red. If you are like me, the green
vs. white will be the toughest. Go to the airport at night and watch
the green/white beacon.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old August 28th 03, 03:04 AM
John Harlow

I always heard the lantern test was harder than the paper tests.

I had both and for me the lantern test was *far* easier than the
isihara plates.

Interesting. I suppose "if you can't pass Isihara, you'll never pass the
lantern test" was another way of my AME saying "I don't have the lantern
test"

Old August 28th 03, 08:25 AM
Sylvain

Sorry about joining this thread a bit late, but thought the following might
be of interest;

for one thing, here is a pretty good reference should you want to know
about colour vision and aviation, from an Australian AME named Dr Pape:

http://www.aopa.com.au/aviation/colourvision.html

Note that I would suggest you get in touch with your local AOPA chapter,
they should be able to direct you to the most up to date information
relevant to your own neck of the wood (and, should a career in aviation
is really important to you, you can always emmigrate just like I did);

Although our friends down under seem to be the most advanced on this
issue, the USA FAA has a pretty pragmatic approach, and it essentially
works as follows: should you fail the run of the mill Ishihara test that
your local AME is most likely to use, you can try to pass one of the
FAA approved alternative (list available from AOPA or your friendly local
FAA office), e.g., Farnsworth D15, etc. The neat thing about these
alternative tests is that you can fail them as often as it takes you to
get one right; then you are set for life. Should you fail this, you
can apply for an actual light gun test; you take your first during
daylight; should you fail this test you can take it one more time at
night... (and if you fail this one again, you are stuck with the restriction
for good, hence the value of going for the approved alternative tests
first);

I got mine right at the second (night) attempt... :-/

I now have a neat letter saying that I passed the thing, valid for
all classes of medical and for life. I present it to the AME everytime
I renew my medical.

i.e., I can now happily fly at night under my FAA certificate, but
not under my (pre-JAR) British PPL(A); the laws of physics being evidently
different on either side of the pond. (Note that in the whole history
of aviation, there hasn't been any accident or incident ever reported that
was ever connected directly or indirectly to colour vision defficiency, but
I digress.)

--Sylvain

Blind 430 john smith Owning 16 January 4th 05 07:57 PM
ACK Blind Encoders Henning Dammann-Emden Home Built 5 July 11th 04 04:44 AM
IJN aircraft colour stripes nukem duke Military Aviation 8 April 6th 04 04:02 AM
Bush on WMD: None so blind as those who would not see nobody Military Aviation 41 February 10th 04 03:32 AM
What colour? clare @ snyder.on .ca Home Built 18 August 9th 03 10:57 PM